Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 19, 2008, 10:12 PM
MVP

I stand by the first line of my first post on this forum. It's nice to see that there are friendly, nice, incredible people that take the time to help others. It does mean a lot to someone like me who's just starting out with this kind of thing. You guys have made the whole build a lot easier and helped me so much in both quality and price and I appreciate everyone who took the time to try and help. Sugar, I wish there were more people with your attitude, that is awesome and so respected. I never expected such great help from so many, this place rocks. Haha getting a little off topic I guess, but it molded into this topic and it's a nice way to come closer to a wrap up of the thread.

Last edited by Brian; September 19, 2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old September 21, 2008, 01:14 PM
MVP
F@H

Thanks everyone for the compliments! I try to contribute a bit.

I only built my first and now 2nd computer in the last 8 months. I had help from people at NCIX and this forum. I stick to mostly just here as it has gotten a bit nuts over there and everyone here is so friendly and helpfull.

I'm not an expert but have learned a lot from this board and like to help when I can but I mostly leave it to the real experts and depend on them to correct me if I give bad advice (I try not to).

And yes Brian this place definately rocks, I read here every day but don't always post. I've learned so much through others questions. I am so glad I found this great Canadian community.
Old September 22, 2008, 10:28 AM
MVP

I've been reading up on the motherboards quite a bit lately (the P5Q-E and deluxe) and have to ask this question here. If I'm using an EVGA, or in essence an Nvidia video card (EVGA GTX 280), is an ASUS board that seems to be meant for ATI with all the crossfire talk really a good choice? I had decided up until now to get the P5Q-E, then just today I thought maybe the Deluxe, but now I wonder if this board will be right for me?

Also, how bad is my performance going to suffer or be hurt if I use XP over Vista? I despise Vista with a passion and would much rather use XP. But if my parts' performance is going to be severely hurt I guess I should look into it.

Last edited by Brian; September 22, 2008 at 10:48 AM.
Old September 22, 2008, 10:48 AM
Allstar
F@H

Most of the P5Q if not all are solid boards its really a matter of what features you would use...SATA RAID ....Dual GB Lan....CF....either way if your going to run a single Nvidia Card I would still get a P5Q series board but if SLI is at all in your plans then unfortunatly you will have to get an Nvidia Chip Board and pay a much larger price premium then a simple INtel P45 or P35 board with CF support. Unless you want to wait for the Next Gen Intel Chipset Boards that should run both.

E8600 420x10 |Thermalright 120 Black | Maximus Formula | ATI 4870X2 | 4GB Buffalo FireStiX PC8500 | Corsair HX1000 | Lian Li V2010B | Vista Ultimate 64bit

Q6600 334x9 |Thermaltake Blu Orb | ASUS P5Q-PRO| ATI 2900XT | 6GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | Corsair HX520 | Lian Li V600B | Vista Home Premium 64bit

Old September 22, 2008, 10:58 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwestwell View Post
Most of the P5Q if not all are solid boards its really a matter of what features you would use...SATA RAID ....Dual GB Lan....CF....either way if your going to run a single Nvidia Card I would still get a P5Q series board but if SLI is at all in your plans then unfortunatly you will have to get an Nvidia Chip Board and pay a much larger price premium then a simple INtel P45 or P35 board with CF support. Unless you want to wait for the Next Gen Intel Chipset Boards that should run both.

Just what I wanted to hear, that it's alright with a single card. Yea SLI is a possibility but not in the near future. Thanks.
One thing about either XP or Vista, does DX10 run on XP? I keep hearing that Vista runs DX10 and gaming performance is better but I really don't want Vista haha.
Old September 22, 2008, 11:03 AM
Allstar
F@H

Get Vista its not bad infact its great on a new build. DX10 and DX10.1 and next years DX11 will not run on XP so get Vista 64bit slap at least 4GB Ram and rock and roll.

E8600 420x10 |Thermalright 120 Black | Maximus Formula | ATI 4870X2 | 4GB Buffalo FireStiX PC8500 | Corsair HX1000 | Lian Li V2010B | Vista Ultimate 64bit

Q6600 334x9 |Thermaltake Blu Orb | ASUS P5Q-PRO| ATI 2900XT | 6GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | Corsair HX520 | Lian Li V600B | Vista Home Premium 64bit

Old September 22, 2008, 11:14 AM
MVP

Alright damn Vista. Would a Home Premium 64bit OEM edition be sufficient? If I get the Home Premium OEM will it hurt any gaming features or performance that I would get with the other higher editions?
Now that we've opened the Vista can of worms I have some questions about it haha.
Unfortunately I'm flustered and can't remember them all right now. Guess I'll post them later.
Not trying to contradict your suggestion, just curious. What makes Vista better for gaming besides DX10? Does Vista operate faster than XP for normal apps? What about the compatibility issues with hardware and software, some older games won't work on Vista. Would all this hardware for this build work better with Vista?

Last edited by Brian; September 22, 2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old September 22, 2008, 11:53 AM
Allstar
F@H

Vista Home Premium 64 Bit is more then enough you would only be missing out on Network Domain Access - Remote Desktop - Bit Locker drive encryption either way mostly useless features for the average gamer.

now onto the rest.

No Vista will not run your apps any faster then XP but it will also not run them any slower on a nice new computer. Some games report a lower FPS in windows XP then Vista but those games were made for XP and it is nothing that drastic. Most if not all of your old games and software will run on Vista if not then think of it this way A lot if not all of my Windows 98 and ME and 2000 apps would not Run on XP when it came out so I bought newer better software. Go with Vista because you are joining the Enthuisest club and Enthusiasts just cant sit back and not be on the cutting edge because if fear to upgrade no...unaccecptable. Vista will support a lot more ram and I mean A lot. I remember When I first got XP and it said I needed at least 128MB of ram I thought that was insane that an OS would require that Now vista needs at least 2GB if not 4GB imagine in 2 more years how much more Ram some Apps may require. Now DX10 and up think of it over the past year there hasnt been may crazy good PC releases exept those made for Vista that is only going to continue only the game makers are going to get better at programing for Vista and its new hardware and DX10-11. Apparently Cysis Warhead even though there is more eye Candy will run a lot faster then regular old Crysis due to the Game programming improvements. Vista is the Present and the future for gaming on PC ....doooooo itttt

and yes your hardware will work "better" with Vista

1 - Your Ram will all be recognized - non 3.25GB Cap
2 - Your Video Card will be useful using DX10
3 - Your Processor was meant for a nice 64 Bit new OS

Old September 22, 2008, 12:00 PM
MVP

Haha awesome explanation thank you. I remember a couple of other questions now too. Since the 64bit enables you to run up to 8GB of memory, will it still work well with 4GB? Also, since the OS requires so much RAM to run smoothly, first...is 4GB enough? and second...will the ram being used for the OS take away from the potential it has for gaming? I mean will it use more for the OS and not as much as it should for the game...hard to explain haha.

Sounds like I'll be switching to Vista, I guess I'll have to force myself to like it.

One more quick thing about the video card. Is it worth getting an SC or even SSC version of the GTX 280 rather than just the normal 602mhz verison?

Last edited by Brian; September 22, 2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old September 22, 2008, 12:57 PM
Allstar
F@H

4 GB will be Fine 2GB is cutting it really close and is not wise for gaming but 4GB is the Standard on I would say %80 of the forums members PC's. Now with regards to the Nvidia OC Cards I wont be an expert on the latest Gen but usually the OC versions of the cards are an identical card/cooler/GPU the only difference is that they pre overclocked the card tested it to make sure it was stable (usually stable) then send it out the door. SO you may save money by buying the non OC cards and OC'ing it yourself it would be essentially the same thing...unless it has a third party cooler which most do not these days. but warning this may effect the warranty I am not sure though.