Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 17, 2008, 07:27 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreqE1 View Post
I have the Antec 1200 and love it. Lot's of air flow and great cable management. It's very spacious and all the fan controls is a nice touch. You might need an 8 pin power extension to reach your motherboard from the back but if you get the Corsair PSU it will have a long enough 24 pin cable.
Thanks for the info, knowing the PSU cables should reach is a relief, the 1200 is the case I'll be getting. I like the fan speed controls and the amount of fans there are. Plus I like the look of it

Thanks Dwayne for the monitor recommendation. I've been looking between Acer and Samsung monitors. Acer has always been good but not great. I have a 19" Acer right now, they're viewing angles are pretty restricted. However for the price, the 2ms response time is a definite increase in Acer's chances in my books.
Old September 17, 2008, 08:11 PM
MVP

That PSU is way overkill, go with a Corsair HX620 or 750 or a PC power and cooling 750 quad.

I have the HX1000 and with the rig below it doesn't even come close to getting near its max load.

Oh and about the monitor. The differnce between a 2ms respondse time and 5 ms is pretty much unnoticiable. After owning 2 Acers, an LG and a Samsung, the Samsung was definetly the best looking and best quality monitor I have owned. Lg is also nice, but if the budget it tight, go with the Acer.
Old September 17, 2008, 09:08 PM
Top Prospect

and actually if you want to save a bit more money my 9450 is stable at 3.4 with a bit of a voltage increase. but 3.2 at stock volts no problem.
Old September 17, 2008, 09:20 PM
Allstar
F@H

The HX1000 is awesome. But if you want to save $ then cut back to a smaller PSU like IamCanadian7 said however I am a fan of overkill especially on power supplies that PSU will last you well into the next 2-3 PC's you own and it's rock solid. I personally like the extra space for power because at lower power consumption the PSU runs near silent and cool to the touch.

E8600 420x10 |Thermalright 120 Black | Maximus Formula | ATI 4870X2 | 4GB Buffalo FireStiX PC8500 | Corsair HX1000 | Lian Li V2010B | Vista Ultimate 64bit

Q6600 334x9 |Thermaltake Blu Orb | ASUS P5Q-PRO| ATI 2900XT | 6GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | Corsair HX520 | Lian Li V600B | Vista Home Premium 64bit

Old September 18, 2008, 08:03 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwestwell View Post
The HX1000 is awesome. But if you want to save $ then cut back to a smaller PSU like IamCanadian7 said however I am a fan of overkill especially on power supplies that PSU will last you well into the next 2-3 PC's you own and it's rock solid. I personally like the extra space for power because at lower power consumption the PSU runs near silent and cool to the touch.

That's exactly it, I want to use it in my next PC(s) as well. Plus I'd rather have too much than just enough. I'm a fan of getting things overkill too, but within budget hehe.

As for the monitory...how does BenQ hold up against these brands? I personally don't think Acer is that great, and would rather go with a Samsung if within budget. Then I look and see the BenQ is even cheaper yet so I wonder how BenQ is compared to Acer.
Old September 18, 2008, 08:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

BenQ's are good monitors. I personally suggest Samsung, I've used 2 samsung monitors so far, both 19" and I have been pretty impressed, last one has been over an year, no signs of monitor dying, lots of cheap or monitors that want to die start loosing color or have dead pixels, mine is running superb!!

Oh and that Corsair 1KW PSU is a monster, honestly a very good PSU. Only reason for me to get the Enermax 1KW PSU was because sooner or later I knew we would be needing those soon.

And just to let you know, don't get me wrong of not suggesting the Antec 1200, it is a nice case no doubt, I am just not a big fan of Antec, otherwise you will really like it, it is sure a nice one. More like if Sugar has it, then it has to be good :P

edit: I was just reading Iamcanadian's post, and yes he is right, Acer if your on a budget. But Samsung if you do want a quality monitor.
Old September 18, 2008, 02:27 PM
MVP

Does the OCZ Vendetta 2 fit inside the Antec 1200 case? The case is only 8.5" wide, and I'm not sure how far off the side the board sits, so I hope the Vendetta 2 will fit...

Edit: another question. Had a friend tell me that the P5Q E since it doesn't support SLI means that a GTX 280 won't take advantage of it's 2 cores. Is this true? I didn't think you needed an SLI mobo to run the GTX 280 as it's a single card (with 2 cores). In such case, what motherboard should I get instead of the P5Q E?

Last edited by Brian; September 18, 2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old September 18, 2008, 02:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The GTX 280 is a single core card. So your friend doesn't know what he's talking about.

Any single card multi-core (9800GX2, 4870x2) solution will work in any current chipset. It's when you want to put in multiple cards that you have to worry about multiple slots and Crossfire/SLI.
Old September 18, 2008, 03:01 PM
MVP

Ok, he brings up the RAMDAC being dual 400mhz, but that's just the RAM inside the card right? Has nothing to do with the core itself? I really don't know haha, I always thought SLI didn't have any effects rather than the ability to run multiple cards like you said Sugar. I really don't think he knows what he's talking about anymore haha.
I don't doubt you Sugar, I just want to make sure I get the best performance and full performance that I can out of the card.
Old September 18, 2008, 03:09 PM
Allstar
F@H

Yes your friend is highly confused.... and I think even if what I think he was thinking of was wrong... And Sugar is right the 1200 should be lots of space for the Vendetta and your card is fine.

E8600 420x10 |Thermalright 120 Black | Maximus Formula | ATI 4870X2 | 4GB Buffalo FireStiX PC8500 | Corsair HX1000 | Lian Li V2010B | Vista Ultimate 64bit

Q6600 334x9 |Thermaltake Blu Orb | ASUS P5Q-PRO| ATI 2900XT | 6GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | Corsair HX520 | Lian Li V600B | Vista Home Premium 64bit