Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 17, 2008, 11:09 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd suggest a Intel P45 chipset, like the Asus P5Q Pro or P5Q Deluxe mobo's. The guts are the same on the boards, it's the other options that change.

The Nvidia chipsets are blowing up, not because of the individual graphics cards or resolutions they are running at, but because of engineering problems on the chipsets themselves, in my opinion.

What size monitor are you going to use? Do you have plans on getting a larger one soon?
Old September 17, 2008, 11:14 AM
MVP

I have a 19 inch right now, but I'm hoping to get a 22 or 24 depending on how much this build costs me.

Are Asus boards worth it? I've read a few things about incompatible parts (but I don't know for sure because well I'm new haha.) But on the other hand heard they've had a good reputation.
As long as one of those boards are compatible with the parts I'd like to get, then I'll for sure get one. The SLI doesn't concern me right now, just want to make sure I get a board with good performance for a gaming rig and support for the video card and processor.

I guess I'd also be asking if those boards are big enough for the extra cooling systems like the CPU cooling unit and the hard drive has to be compatible too right?

Edit: A lot of people are saying that Asus mobo's bios support doesn't work right with the Q9xxx processors, and it hurts performance.

Last edited by Brian; September 17, 2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old September 17, 2008, 11:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreqE1 View Post
2. The Thermalright ULTRA-120 Extreme used to be the king cooler (I have one) but it has lost it's crown to the Ocz Vandetta 2 which is much cheaper! It comes with it's own fan but I'd recommend a Sythe S-Flex as a replacement or Noctua P12 for a quieter fan.

Welcome to HWC by the way.

Agreed on both counts Ocz Vandetta 2 and Noctua NF-P12 = SILENT but deadly.

P.s do not forget the Artic cooling 2 or As5 Paste.
And Welcome to the forum.

Asus boards are awesome either the Asus P5Q-E or Asus P5Q-Deluxe your using a quad so either one would be a good fit. Boards come with 6-8 sata ports so you should be fine and plenty of space for cooling.
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 4gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.

Old September 17, 2008, 12:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Edit: A lot of people are saying that Asus mobo's bios support doesn't work right with the Q9xxx processors, and it hurts performance.

Where? I haven't seen anything about this issue yet. But there's tons of great P45 boards out there. Take your pick.
Old September 17, 2008, 01:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
I'd suggest a Intel P45 chipset, like the Asus P5Q Pro or P5Q Deluxe mobo's. The guts are the same on the boards, it's the other options that change.

The Nvidia chipsets are blowing up, not because of the individual graphics cards or resolutions they are running at, but because of engineering problems on the chipsets themselves, in my opinion.

What size monitor are you going to use? Do you have plans on getting a larger one soon?
Just the way Sugar worded it. Well as for the problems with Quads not supported on Asus board's BIOS, I haven't seen that myself. Well as Sugar said pick a P45 board, you don't necessarily have to go for Asus boards, I am disliking Asus a lot, but I have to say the Asus P5Q series of boards have very well designed. You know options for Gigabyte or Biostar.

As for the video card, you should be good if you settle with an ATI 4870 tbh, it is a real nice card, and it gives the GTX 280 a run for what its worth for. The GTX 280 might be still be leading in benchmarks for individual cards, but the 4870 has been priced just about right, especially if you play Call of Duty 4, let's just say ATI almost murders Nvidia on that game..

OCZ Vendetta 2 w/Sythe or Noctua, +1.

On-board sound should be good

Case: Even a Cooler Master 690 should do justice, no offence to Antec 900 owners, but I really won't suggest this case to you, it can be a pain to work with, and the fact that you have to mod it to do proper cable management, is worthless.

Memory: those are good, but these will do you enough justice: Mushkin XP PC2-6400 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-12 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit - DirectCanada

If I were you, I would stick with the Q9450

So In short:

Case: CM 690
Processor: Q9450
Memory: Mushkin XP PC6400 4GB (2x2GB)
Cooling: OCZ Vendetta 2 w/Sythe or Noctua
Video Card: ATI 4870
Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45-DS3R / Asus P5Q-E / Biostar i45.

That is about it.
Old September 17, 2008, 03:42 PM
MVP

Extremely helpful replies, thank you to everyone.
For a case I'm being drawn towards the Antec twelve hundred because of the option to have 3 fans in the front, 2 in the back, one monster on the top and one in the side. I'm assuming that equals good air flow.
The CM 690 isn't bad either like you suggested miggs, but I'm just concerned about it being a mid tower case. Also miggs that Mushkin RAM seems great.
Of course I'd like the one that has the most optimum airflow for what I will be putting in it.

For the motherboard change, I think I'll take Sugar's advice and go with the Asus P5Q Deluxe.

Still debating on the processor, I'd like the Q9550 and OC it to 3.0ghz that would be nice, but we'll see if the new prices allow me to. If not I'll go with the Q9450.

I'll make a mock up cart with the newly changed parts and see what the price comes to, then I'll come back here and post some of the changes. So this thread is not done yet haha!

One thing about a case. If I were for instance get the Antec 1200 full tower, are there components you can buy for fan speed control and temperature display that will fit into a case?

Last edited by Brian; September 17, 2008 at 03:56 PM.
Old September 17, 2008, 04:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

Those Mushkin RAMs are good, but these are the ones I really am looking forward too.. NCIX.com - Buy Mushkin Ascent PC2-8500 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1066 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit - 996619 In Canada. Mushkin Ascents, just one of the best...

If you do wanna save more money, I'd suggest the P5Q-E over the Deluxe, its the same chipset, just some less features, 2 less SATA ports, and the northbridge isn't heat-pipe cooled, but honestly these heatpipe cooling on the northbridge isn't all that good, you always buy a 3rd party northbridge cooler.

If you really want a full tower case, the Cooler Master HAF its a similar case, better case, and cheaper.

TBH the only reason I suggested the Q9450 is because lots of users suggest that over different Quads, I personally don't know much about Quads so don't count me on that, sorry :p

Moe :)
Old September 17, 2008, 04:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yep i run Asus P5Q-E, Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 kit and E3110 aka E8400= Just Perfect

Itll keep me going till Nehalems get less power hungry.
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 4gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.

Old September 17, 2008, 04:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

Sorry to offtopic, Hey Dashock, how far have you managed to push your E3110 to ? (That is a Xeon right)..
Old September 17, 2008, 04:14 PM
MVP

Alright I've had a look at the cases...the Antec twelve hundred and the Cooler master HAF 932. Although the CM HAF looks great with the larger fans, I might be more satisfied if I decide to go with the twelve hundred because it has speed controls on the fans. Also, the twelve hundred is pretty much the size of a full tower case so that eases some more worry. Smart or dumb choice?

Edit: but then again the CM 690 is deeper and will fit video cards with more room to spare, and the cables might not all fit behind the mobo on the 1200...this is what I really hate, pros and cons that don't give a definitive answer. On the one hand...more larger fans = better air flow, but the HAF doesn't have speed controls for the fans whereas the 1200 has smaller fans, but with speed control.

Last edited by Brian; September 17, 2008 at 04:24 PM.