Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 26, 2008, 07:50 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Jeez...I thought someone might actually get a chuckle out of that last Post....I was giggling as I typed it..sorry if it "ticked" you, was trying to lighten things up...
Don't worry, I did get a chuckle.
I agree with you saying the ATI vs Nvidia situation has no right or wrong answer, just different ones. Different suits for different people's different needs. I'm ordering the system on Monday or Tuesday and I'm revising a few parts but the whole ATI vs. Nvidia on this thread did raise pros and cons for both sides. I didn't have my heart set on either brand and I don't right now either, but it looks like I'll go the ATI side just because I can get more power out of it (at the present time). In the future sure Nvidia will smoke ATI, and then ATI will come back and it will be even enough to not really care. I don't want to upgrade much or maybe at all for at least a few years so the way I see it, if I can get more power now I'll be set for a while.

Just to add, the whole thread has been informative. It has NOT been spam and it has been all meaningful posts.

Last edited by Brian; September 26, 2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old September 26, 2008, 08:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Excellent...you'll enjoy whatever it is you end up getting...I know I was in the exact same boat and am very happy with my choices.

Have fun with it!!!

Firestrike Extreme: 21.452
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/14167916
MARK 11: 32.530
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12496075

Introducing me n my OCD to Watercooling, is like taking an Alcoholic to an "all you can drink" Beach Bar in Mexico

Old September 26, 2008, 08:22 PM
MVP

Thanks RJ.
My final 2 concerns/questions are for anyone who has a Cosmos S case/Vendetta 2 CPU cooler.
Will the large side fan interfere with the Vendetta 2? I've heard some reviews of the case saying that it will interfere with some CPU heatsinks and was wondering if the Vendetta 2 is one of them.

and..

What 120mm fans are best to put in the Cosmos S? The Antec tricool (for LEDs) ones seem to work well, as well as the Noctua Nf-p12s (thanks to DaShock's review of the info )
Now I need to find out if the fan on the front HD cage is replacable.

Last edited by Brian; September 26, 2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old September 27, 2008, 06:05 AM
F@H

My System Specs

The fan on the front HD cage is replaceable.

What colour LED were you looking for in the fans?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old September 27, 2008, 06:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looks like a single 4870 1gb could be just what you need judging by the review posted in the vid cards section, but there are some caveats.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.

Last edited by magictorch; September 27, 2008 at 06:56 AM.
Old September 27, 2008, 08:35 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I don't want to sound greedy but I'm just tired of not being able to run games like I want to, so I'm splurging and spending over $2000 on a system. I don't want to video card to be subpar to the rest of the system. Now I don't care if I have to spend a little bit more or have to drop to a 22" monitor, I just want to play games at full.

Also it seems games these days are being more so optimized for nVIDIA hardware, which also makes me a bit hesitant on purchasing something else. I know I would have to upgrade the board later on, but if that's what would be better in the long run...well then I don't know.
Don't get me wrong, I don't have my heart set on either brand quite yet.
You are not alone! A couple of buddys of mine were certain that console gaming was the only way to go, because they were sick of buying upgrades and stuff for a new game, only to have lag and low FPS in the next game that came out. I've convinced one guy otherwise, the other guy doesn't game anymore. In terms of eye candy, configuration and keyboard/mouse movement, there is no comparrison between a computer and a console game. Even on a large screen TV, a console game doesn't come close to the resolution a computer can push out.

I disagree that you will have to upgrade your board later on. If you went for a GTX280 (or even a 9800GTX or 9800GX2), I think the vid card would last long enough that when it came time for more power, you just get a newer vid card. No need to pair them up in SLI. The reason for upgrading the mobo, would be to accept a new Intel CPU that isn't compatible with your current board, or to go to DDR3 ram or some other new tech that isn't in your current board.

CoD 3 should get sick framerates with any of these vid cards, even with a 24" LCD at 1920x1200 res. I really don't know about the other games, as I don't have them and have never run any of the newer ATI cards.

My buddy (above) loves CoD4, runs it on an 8800GTS (G80 core 640MB) with an E6750 at stock speeds on a 22" at 1680x1050. Performance was acceptable, but really got smooth when I turned down a couple settings. It's running under Vista, which adds another hit in performance, and the system/game is not completely tweaked. I am sure he would get better performance and use all the highest settings once the system, game and vid card settings were optimized. But really, all he needs is a 9800GTX and he would be in overkill land. He could also pair up his 8800GTS because he has an SLI board, except the G80 version is hard to find (and expensive). It would be cheaper and better to just step up to a better vid card, and drop his 8800GTS in his kid's machine.

If an nVidia card does run better in a certain game, it just leaves ATI more room for improvement in their driver releases. Newer drivers with nV cards rarely show much performance improvement, where (lately at least) I have seen lots of comments that newer ATI drivers showing significant performance improvements. Vista causes a lot of this, because it is much newer than XP and they have much more ground to cover to bring it up to par with XP. Add the fact that Vista's updates keep changing the playing field, as well as mobo driver updates, mobo BIOS updates, and you can see it is a constant teeter-totter of keeping things up to date when one update breaks the fricken system.

I don't like the idea of dual 4850s in CF, simply because the 4850 uses DDR3 ram where the 4870 uses DDR5 and has enormous bandwidth that apparently it needs. It's the same sort of deal with the GTX260 and GTX280, the nerfs that NV put on the GTX260 make it much less appealing than the GTX280. The 4870X2 is overpriced and overkill unless you are looking at a 30" display. A single 4870 will do fine, as will a single GTX280. In fact, I feel a single 9800GTX would suffice, and if not the 9800GX2 will definately suffice -- and it's price these days is very reasonable. To futureproof yourself as much as possible, there are really two choices; 1) a single 4870 thatyou can pair up later, 2) a GTX280 that you can replace later.

Lastly, I have to agree with one of cwestwell's comments. We do seem to be running in circles. Any of your modified build templates will be a rock'in system. The trick is to be happy with what you end up with, and not go on a tangent of constantly replacing things in it.

boot: 4x WD Caviar SE16 250gb SATA2 Raid-0
backup: Seagate 500gb 32mb SATA2
eye: eVGA 9800GTX+ SC 512mb 770/2.25ghz
candy: Samsung 940B-HAS | X-Fi XMusic | Pioneer DVR-212D SATA
juice: PC Power & Cooling 750Quad | Cooler Master HAF932
steering: Logitech G15 & G5 | E3D Pro/Momo Wheel | X-530's
Old September 27, 2008, 08:40 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Heh... not the OP's fault.

There's been a lot of good discussion going on. :)
I totally agree! I've learned as much as anyone here from this thread. BTW, I set my view to 40 posts per page, so it's only 4 pages long.

Also, keep in mind that others will find and read this discussion, whilst looking for advice on their own system. Perhaps they won't have to post a thread at all because they find all their answers in here.

It should last a little longer than a few months. Not everyone buys cutting edge hardware. A real budget system is made up of top of the line parts that are a little out of date and hence much less money than the original release price. Very very few parts that I buy for myself are new release. It's just as rare that I buy something that isn't HQ or top of the line.

Old September 27, 2008, 09:04 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
But if it's going to cause a ruckus and tick people off I'll stop posting and figure out something else...

... it even seems that people enjoyed making the posts and enjoyed helpin
Bah, no rukus here my friend. Something typed in text that appears to be leading toward a flame is rarely so. Don't missenterpret enthusiasm for annoyance!

You are 100% correct, I would not be spending so much time responding here if I wasn't enjoying it and learning from it myself.

The battle between nV and ATI benefits us all. There is no doubt that the 4870 would cost $500-600 if nV didn't have a faster card on the market. It is priced as low as it is in order to fill a gap that nV left open. It does that very well, and everyone will agree that it is the best bang for the buck in todays market. When nV releases a faster card, what it will really do is reduce the price on the GTX280s that may end up killing ATIs price gap. That means the 4870s will come down in price.

Love it.

My system is going on it's second year now, and really doesn't need anything. I want a quad core, but really don't need it. I want a new case, but really don't need it.

The Antec Tri-Cools are good CFM for cheap, but aren't very good fans and are noisy at high speed. The Noctua fans are high quality, but can't comment farther because I don't own any and am only going by others' experiences and reviews. Also, I've never seen one with an LED. So if you want LED fans, you'll have to look at others.

Lordy, Lordy! I can't wait for Brian's Help Me with my Assembly thread!

Old September 27, 2008, 10:04 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by

Lordy, Lordy! I can't wait for Brian's [I
Help Me with my Assembly[/I] thread!

No kidding if it is nearly as long and informative as this thread Brian is going to be a frikin PRO by the time he is done....after he is done I hope we will see him on here posting tips to other new comers.

E8600 420x10 |Thermalright 120 Black | Maximus Formula | ATI 4870X2 | 4GB Buffalo FireStiX PC8500 | Corsair HX1000 | Lian Li V2010B | Vista Ultimate 64bit

Q6600 334x9 |Thermaltake Blu Orb | ASUS P5Q-PRO| ATI 2900XT | 6GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | Corsair HX520 | Lian Li V600B | Vista Home Premium 64bit

Old September 27, 2008, 10:11 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
The fan on the front HD cage is replaceable.

What colour LED were you looking for in the fans?
I was looking for blue LEDs. Good to know that fan on the front is replaceable!

At Lilotech's post: HAHA they thought console gaming was better than PC? Bah! I've despised console gaming for years and years and always thought PC was muuuuuch better! (Not to mention more fun and versatile.)

I've emailed Cooler Master's tech support asking if the Vendetta 2 will fit with the side panel on the Cosmos S case, as well as which fan mount cages I would need for it if I were to add another fan in the front there. If they don't respond by Monday or Tuesday I could be in trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithotech View Post
The Antec Tri-Cools are good CFM for cheap, but aren't very good fans and are noisy at high speed. The Noctua fans are high quality, but can't comment farther because I don't own any and am only going by others' experiences and reviews. Also, I've never seen one with an LED. So if you want LED fans, you'll have to look at others.
Do you know of any LED fans that are as good in quality as the Noctua ones?
NCIX doesn't carry many different brands so I'm either limited to a few or will have to go for no LEDs for now.
Some of the Noctua P-12s are $20 each, how do they hold up against the Scythe fans?

Oh and you can count on me coming back again and again to help newcomers, or at least try! That would be pretty sweet to be able to give back to the community after 17 pages of extreme patience was given to me.

Think these 2400 RPM LEDs would be too much for the top of the case?
NCIX.com - Buy Yate Loon D12SH-124UB 120MM UV Blue LED Cooling Fan 2400RPM 88CFM 40DB 3 & 4 Pin Sleeve Bearing OEM - D12SH-124UB In Canada.

Last edited by Brian; September 27, 2008 at 10:59 AM.