Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 11, 2008, 03:59 PM
Rookie

Default Direct Canada sells used products as new

Well I bought a q6600, a Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme a DFI LP UT X48-T2R motherboard for $296 and some miscelaneous accessories. When I got the board, I immediately noticed that one of the small boxes had a hole in it and nothing in side. Other components were in a ziplock bag, with some extra jumpers. The packaging looked worn, and there was a brown rust coloured substance around some of the mounting holes on the motherboard. Some of the other holes just looked slightly worn. To me this indicates that the board had been used. Also the manual looked decently used and had large scratches on the back and the floppy raid driver disk also had scratches on it.

To me this is unacceptable for a top of the line board. If this was for some cheap computer I might not care as much but I want to overclock this board and if someone else has been using it maybe they've moved the jumpers around or over volted some of the components too much, or maybe they just decided it didn't overclock well and returned it. I don't want to go through the trouble of putting the board in my system to find out or troubleshoot any potential problems it has.

The other frustrating part is that I wanted to build the system over the weekend and paid for air shipping to get the parts here quickly and now I'll have to wait several days for Direct Canada to email me back because they don't answer their phones. I'm not happy about this. While there doesn't seem to be any parts missing, and I can't see anything wrong with the board other than the brown substance, I don't like paying top dollar for an expensive motherboard that ends up being a used product that doesn't look like it was well treated. I can't say experiences like this give me much confidence in online ordering. My past experiences with Direct Canada have been decent (when I spent considerably more money than I did this time). Anyways let me know what you think. Am I being unreasonable? Should I just ask for a discount instead? What would you do in a simillar situation?
Old September 11, 2008, 04:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Send a PM to user DC_Support on these forums. Hopefully he'll be able to sort things out for you, and he's been quick to respond in the past.

If it were me, and I'd paid that kind of cash for a high end mobo, I'd be looking to have it replaced with one I felt more comfortable was actually new.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 11, 2008, 04:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

O_O

do you have some pictures to show?

i did ask them to make sure that its new... so they said so...

i have p5q deluxe... i found manual that seems used but not mobo... someone must read it without my premission ;[

and ncix ( and DC too) have policy about opening box... but this story is new to me... so i will be more cautious... thanks...
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old September 11, 2008, 04:59 PM
Top Prospect

If you paid for a new motherboard regardless if its a $50 board or a high end board like yours wich I might add is an excellent choice in mainboards, You deserve what you pay for and no less. I would appreciate an update on your expirience and how direct canada handles this situation as my wife and I are preparing an order for the end of september and we have always been concerned about this happenning when ordering online and how its handled by customer service. I must say we have made plenty of orders through direct canada and all the products have come with the manufactures seal. Good Luck and I hpe your build gets done soon.

Old September 11, 2008, 06:41 PM
Rookie

Ok so I just got off the phone with Brad/DC Support after PMing him about my problem. He said that he'd refund the air shipping charge of about $27 for my order and he offered to RMA the board with ground shipping free of charge. Unfortunately due to low profit margins he couldn't offer me much of a discount on the board itself. We checked to make sure that the board wasn't an NCIX refurb apparently if it was it would have the number 31627 on it with a yellow line through it on a sticker on the outside of the box. This sticker appeared but without the line meaning the board was probably not a NCIX refurb. Like I said before the board looks new so it could just be that DFI has had some boards break and and has decided to repackage the accessories with new boards.

Unfortunately Direct Canada could not crosship a replacement motherboard and they were also low on stock on replacements and would have to look around to find more. So if I wanted a replacement I'd have to wait until after I shipped back the old one by ground (I'm in Ontario) which would take some time but would be free of charge. Since school has started I'm quickly running out of time to build a system so I told Brad I was hoping to do it this weekend. I asked him if I kept the board whether I could have additional time to make sure it worked all right and he said that if I had any problems with the board I could RMA it to Direct Canada for free.

So I guess in summary I'm fairly satisfied with this resolution although I'm still somewhat nervous that I might end up taking my computer apart only to find out the board has some issue. Although knowing that I can RMA without having to send it back to DFI in the States is nice. The scratches on the manual and floppy disk aren't that big a deal for me as long as the board works flawlessly, and I also don't care if the packaging is a bit messed up. Here are some pictures I took. Most of them aren't that interesting (or very good) but I think you can get the general idea. The scratches are pretty hard to see due to glossyness of the manual but you can definately feel them

ImageShack - Hosting :: img1086ih5.jpg

ImageShack - Hosting :: img1085yy9.jpg

ImageShack - Hosting :: img1092er5.jpg

ImageShack - Hosting :: img1091bt5.jpg

I'm hoping I can get a good overclock out of this board. Its replacing my old EVGA 680i that I also bought from Direct Canada when it was just coming out. Unfortunately despite positive reviews, the 680i chipset has some serious issues with the northbridge and southbridge and issues with destroying ram. It killed my Team Group PC 6400 2GB RAM twice (the second time I never gave it more than 2.1V) The cost of RMAing it back to Team in the states though just isn't worth it anymore. I've had to RMA the 680i to EVGA several times which cost quite a bit. Anyways just the other day one of the hard drive controllers on my 680i died. So now I've got to RMA that board again and hopefully sell the refurb and my old Ultra 120 and e6400. I'm hoping that maybe I can get EVGA to pay for shipping to them as I've only had the 3rd replacement board since June. I just wish more manufacturers would have return depots in Canada. It would make RMAing things so much easier and less expensive.

Edit:

Just wanted to thank Brad for his quick response and working with me to resolve this issue.
Old September 11, 2008, 07:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Id be pissed if i was sent that board for the price it is your a very patient man. I thought this was another thread of someone complaining about a cpu and which direct canada states as a used product but after i read your statement about it being a Motherboard im just out of words. I try to keep all my purchases to Ncix and the added price match is an extra incentive.
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 4gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.

Old September 11, 2008, 08:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

manual is kinda not big deal but box and mobo yes... imho

glad to hear that you solve this problem... soon... ;]
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old September 11, 2008, 08:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Great to hear that Brad jumped in quickly to find some form of resolution for a bad situation. Let us know how you make out.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 11, 2008, 08:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I wonder if its a DFI thing?
When I got my new X38 from NCIX it looked used as well. The NB heatsink was loose with no packaging, had some small scratches, and the manual looked like it had been touched as well. The board was well not sealed in the antistatic bag. Very different packaging to the Asus boards I've gotten.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old September 11, 2008, 08:53 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the compliments and support guys. I'll probably start building the system tomorrow. I've never used a DFI board before so I'll expect to be a bit overwhelemed by all of the options in the bios. I was originally considering an Asus P5Q deluxe but the better cooling and tweaking options of this board won me over in the end. So now I've just got to make sure I've got everything all backed up with Retrospect and then I'll take the comp apart and reinstall xp and restore data as I go.

Edit

Magictorch:

I think your probably right. I occurs to me that I didn't get an anti-static bag and I remember seeing the LT (cheaper) version of this board with one in this review

DFI LT X48-T2R Lanparty Living Review. - Clunk's Forums.

Seems strage that DFI would include one in the cheaper version but not the more expensive version or maybe that's just a reviewers perk... :P Anyways hopefully the board is better than the packaging.

Last edited by polybomber; September 11, 2008 at 09:08 PM.