Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 8, 2008, 05:25 PM
Top Prospect

Default iTunes Transfer

Don't know if this is in the correct forum, but somehow it seemed the most 'correct'.

I just got my new laptop, and have transferred all my music from my old computer to my new one. Now, is there anyway to transfer all of my playlists aswell? I have been looking around, and there is only a way to save the song list of the playlist, not transfer them all together.

Any ideas?
OCZ 2 x 2GB Platinum DDR2 800
XFX / EVGA 8800GT 512MB SLI
Cooler Master Cosmos
PC POWER & COOLING 750watt
Seagate 1TB
Seagate 500gb
Seagate 250gb
DVD Rom/Burner

LG 22" Wide
G5/G15/Z-5500 Logitech
Old September 8, 2008, 05:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

See the itunes library files the site below mentions? You should be able to just copy those over and swap them with the new ones.
How-To: Backup your Windows iTunes library
Old September 8, 2008, 05:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I've been in your shoes before, and I think I can help. This is possible to do only as long as your new laptop is running the same OS as your old computer as far as I know. (And I've only done it in XP)

First, install iTunes on your new laptop and then open it, running the setup wizard. Next, make sure it's set up the same as it was on your old machine. (make the same folder your music folder, etc.) Transfer all your music over into the same folder as it was previously in. In other words; if you had your music in c:\music\ on your old computer, then make sure you make a folder on you new laptop that is the same and place all your music there. Next, go in to your "my music" folder and grab the 'iTunes' folder and copy it over to the "my music" folder on your new laptop, overwriting the iTunes folder that's there from your new install. (This folder contains the data files, etc. from iTunes that have the playlists and such) Now start up iTunes and *voila!* iTunes should be up and running exactly the same as it was on your old machine. You shouldn't even see a change.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
Old September 10, 2008, 07:55 PM
Top Prospect

CALDEZAR you rox!

I just copied the ituens folder, but none of my songs could be found (i copied the music from my ipod, instead of doig it the other way).

So now im just copying all my music and gonna set it up as the same way, in my music folder.

Playlistss show up! Sweet thanks!
OCZ 2 x 2GB Platinum DDR2 800
XFX / EVGA 8800GT 512MB SLI
Cooler Master Cosmos
PC POWER & COOLING 750watt
Seagate 1TB
Seagate 500gb
Seagate 250gb
DVD Rom/Burner

LG 22" Wide
G5/G15/Z-5500 Logitech