Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 30, 2008, 12:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Personal VPN Server

I'd like to set up my own VPN server here, I don't know A LOT about them, although of course I have a strong enough computer background I know I can figure it out.

Where do I start, what are some of the basics that most people overlook from the start?

Basically I'm looking to get around and protect myself from the prying eyes of the world. I have no plans to do anything illegal, I just want to remain anonymous.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old August 30, 2008, 04:19 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

lol... being anonymous is illegal! If you are hiding something that means you are guilty! GUILTY!

VPNs seem to be a black art. Frankly, no one in the open source community will deal with them and there is really no home products out there. OpenSWAN tried to get off the ground but died years ago. Most of the information needed to deal with these things is unavailable or tied up in pay-for standards and proprietary BS. I am looking forward to Steve Gibsons upcoming CryptoLink software; I really wonder what will happen with that.

You can set up Astaro if you have a spare PC you can repurpose as a residential gateway. They have a VPN solution that does IPsec with x509 certificates so it is theoretically secure but good luck finding any information about testing that ascertain.

You might get some replies from morons saying "download this and do this" but I will bet that none of these suggestions will come with an kind of comprehensive (or even cursory) information about why the system is secure, how they prove that, or how you can test it. If you believe any of them you might as well just open your Remote desktop port up on your external IP. After all, Microsoft maintains that that is secure.
Old August 30, 2008, 04:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So basically they don't really exist in any safe or tangible form worth it's weight in salt? lol

I'm just getting sick of my torrents being throttled, even when all I'm downloading is LEGAL software such as the Warhammer Online client which is released as a torrent by the developers.

Any chance you could point me in an appropriate direction that would help me free up my right to access these files?
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old August 30, 2008, 05:59 PM
Allstar

hmmm, well, you can create a BSD firewall/router out a server. Like, I beleive OpenBSD makes a excellent platform. And very secure out of the disc.
Old August 30, 2008, 06:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
So basically they don't really exist in any safe or tangible form worth it's weight in salt? lol

I'm just getting sick of my torrents being throttled, even when all I'm downloading is LEGAL software such as the Warhammer Online client which is released as a torrent by the developers.

Any chance you could point me in an appropriate direction that would help me free up my right to access these files?
Learn about proxies; its all I will say.
Old August 30, 2008, 07:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Learn about proxies; its all I will say.
Will do!
Old August 30, 2008, 07:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer-[X] View Post
hmmm, well, you can create a BSD firewall/router out a server. Like, I beleive OpenBSD makes a excellent platform. And very secure out of the disc.
I'll look into it!
Old August 30, 2008, 09:19 PM
Allstar

SSH tunnel, OpenVPn ... lots of , ummm, options
Old August 30, 2008, 09:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
SSH tunnel, OpenVPn ... lots of , ummm, options
Yup SSH Tunnel is pretty straight forward and simple too.
Old August 30, 2008, 09:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

All legal? HAHA