Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 30, 2008, 09:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
All legal? HAHA
Of course its legal. Nothing illegal about it.
Old August 30, 2008, 09:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Haha yeah I was more or less kidding, thanks, I'll look into it all, not sure how much it's worth it but it'll be a learning experience anyways!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old August 31, 2008, 12:17 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

One of the problems of a simple SSH tunnel is that the encryption overhead and the MTU of your network can cause excessive fragmentation. That can be compounded if you have some packet loss. Some programs behave really badly when this happens. This is one of the many little gotchas that can plague getting this to work well.

I had assumed you wanted a VPN for the more usual purpose of securing a road warrior connection back to your home or connecting between two houses. Having a VPN on its own is not really going to help much to avoid throttling of torrents. First, as the name suggests, a Virtual Private Network connects a number of hosts together securely. The problem is you will not be able to get the torrent seeds on your VPN.

Second, even if you did it might not help. You can encrypt torrent sessions and (I think) the BitTorrent standard uses OpenSSL for encryption so it is unbreakable. Many deep packet inspection tools can identify torrent streams based on the traffic pattern. More paranoid file transfer applications, like WASTE, allowed you to pad the data stream with random noise when you are not using it to obfuscate traffic patterns. The down side is that it dramatically increases traffic.

Tunneling software, proxy software, encryption software, and VPN software are all legal to poses and use. Of course, you have to use them right. It is legal to posses a crow bar but you can not use it to break in to someone's house. There are lots of "people" (read thieves) who host sites with lengthy lists of open proxies. They try to make the list look legitimate but they are not really open about what they are doing. The thieves just scan the Internet for open proxies and post the address when they find them. They do not actually ask the owners if it is ok to use them. The reasoning is that if it is publicly available it must be ok; you can make your own moral judgment on that. Use one of these proxies in the US and you are probably risking charges under the Communications Fraud and Abuse Act.

A guy I knew used a proxy to tunnel his torrents through a US server. He bought the service and paid for the bandwidth. It was pretty cheap; about $10/month IIRC. It worked well for a while but then something started going wrong with the connection. He never did figure what it was and it ended up being too much trouble to try and figure out.
Old August 31, 2008, 12:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

I use a proxy at work to bypass their firewall rules if I want to do something I shouldn't..........

shhhhhhhhhh
Old August 31, 2008, 12:31 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I will not tell anyone. I promise.
Old August 31, 2008, 08:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I really don't download or do anything of question, I use torrents for a lot of legitimate work. In fact I'm in the music business and since torrents are finally starting to sink into the older guys heads I'm finding it a more viable option to distribute artists music. All legally, as this is how the bands I work with prefer to do things. Basically I've got a bunch of old fats who can't understand the internet saying "ra ra ra it must be sold on a cd!" and all our new independent bands who are like "lets just torrent this shit or sell it on usb keys" so I have lots of work convincing my older generation peers to listen up. It's been working since people like Trent Reznor, Radiohead, and many other pioneers have been pushing the format but there's a long way to go. Anyways blah blah blah, I just wanted to be able to A) Download legitmiate material, and B) DISTRIBUTE legitimate work for bands I work for by creating and hosting the torrents myself. This is one of the many reasons why shaping traffic is complete and utter bullshit. The very people who I work with are forcing such severe and limiting structures on the entire industry. HAHA

/end blurb

Thanks for the help! I'll look into everything for knowledge purposes but right now it dosn't seem I'll get what I want short of a complete injunction on the ISP's.. GRR
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old August 31, 2008, 10:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Oh!

Another thing just came up. My GF is going to Vancouver for school while I'm staying Toronto for now, for work. Would any of these ideas work to allow her and I to send files back and forth reliably? Or allow her to connect and access files on my computer safely?
Old August 31, 2008, 01:18 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
Another thing just came up. My GF is going to Vancouver for school while I'm staying Toronto for now, for work. Would any of these ideas work to allow her and I to send files back and forth reliably? Or allow her to connect and access files on my computer safely?
Yes. Many VPN solutions would solve that problem. Everyone should be behind at least a residential gateway with stateful NAT and inbound connection dropping. If your GF will be living in a dorm this may not be possible but if she is renting and has DSL or Cable then you should buy a WRT54GL (or whatever brand you like) and rig it up with DDwrt. You could preconfigure it with DynDNS, pre-shared keys, and anything else necessary for easy use. Doubly so if she is not very interested in the wire head stuff.

There are a couple options for connections. Do you want to be always connected or just when you/she wants? The latter is probably easier to configure but you have to mess with connections every time you want to use it.

If you decide to go with a PC based gateway/firewall/VPN server on your end then it would probably be best to make her gateway a client for your VPN. Alternately she could run client software on her host to connect to your VPN.

You probably want to investigate some web alternatives for backup. Hamachi and GoToMyPC both offer free services. Personally, I will never give some faceless US company the keys to my castle but I understand the services do work well and you might need them if things really go bad.

If you just want to do secure file transfer then a purely client based solution like WASTE might be the easiest way. Even SFTP is pretty easy to set up for simple use. Most IM services already offer a secure message transfer. Even Skype offers an encrypted setting; it does not work very well, but it keeps the average Joe out of your conversation.
Old August 31, 2008, 03:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Awesome thanks again! I'll check out my options and find one thats easiest for her to use.
Old August 31, 2008, 06:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

I've had a free vpn acc from a company..still don't remember how I got it..but I guess you're looking for something different..

Le; depedning onf your isp you could ask them to set up a ssh tunnel for ya..or something..