Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 30, 2008, 07:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Temporary Network question

Ok. Heres my dilema. We just moved into a new house. I have my own shaw highspeed extreme in my room for my use, and my dad and stepmom have telus in their office. Telus was supposed to come and install their internet as well as their work phone today. however, they screwed us *as usual :P * and only installed the phone. So, they are without internet and NEED it for the next few days for their busnesses. I would like to put their pcs on my network temporarily, but i'm not sure if this will work:

Its across the house, and 1. i don't think i have 2 cables long enough, only the one. 2. i don't want to take up a 2nd spot in my router for them :P *yes i know i'm selfish hehe

Edit: i do not have a patch cable either

Last edited by Phobia; July 30, 2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old July 30, 2008, 07:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Should work unless the 2 routers dont want to play nice, I use a similar set-up with the second router about 120ft away from the first doubling as a wireless access point and a wired connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old July 30, 2008, 07:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

k cool. i know i have to get rid of the dhcp on the 2nd, but wasnt 100% sure i could do it, and if i could do it with a regular cat 6 cable

edit: Ok, everything is hooked up now.. However, i am down stairs on my dads computer, and i cannot connect to the internet. Infact, i can't connect to any of the computers upstairs either. My dads ip is 192.168.1.101 my stepmoms is 192.168.1.100 which are the same as mine and my brothers pc's upstairs.

I have configured my wrt54GL to static ip and i changed its local ip adress to 192.168.1.12 I disabled its DHCP server as well... any suggestions?

Last edited by Phobia; July 30, 2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old July 30, 2008, 08:28 PM
Rookie

Set the Default Gateway to the IP address of the router in which the computer connects.

1. Disable the DHCP on the 2nd router
2. Assign the 2nd router a local ip other than the 192.168.1.1(make sure it matches your network)

Hope this helps

Last edited by blogz101; July 30, 2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old July 31, 2008, 06:23 AM
Top Prospect

All you should have had to do was disable DHCP on the second router and then restart the two computers after the second router.
Your router should assign an I.P. addresses to new devices by itself.

To fix this your going have shutdown the network so everything gets assigned properly

Set the other computers to Obtain IP address automaticially and shut them down

Then set your router back to DHCP(depending on how many setting you play with it maybe easier just to restore to back factory default settings)
Reboot the router
Then restart each computer and run Internet Connection wizard
Each computer should get it's own IP address from the router then.
Patriot Viper 1833
PCP&C 750W
Win8 64bit
Custom W/C
Old July 31, 2008, 06:40 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

If you are temporarily using your dad's router as a switch you have to make sure you are not using the WAN port to connect to your router. Remember the "router" (they are not really routers) is doing NAT bridging so the WAN ports and network ports will not pass traffic like a switch. You will need to disable the DHCP and set the local port to something other than 192.168.1.1, just like blogz101 said.

It might be easier to just set your dad's router to defaults and plug the WAN port into your router. Your parent's PCs will be NATing twice to get to the Internet but that should work. (I have done 4 NATs once) You will not have to change any settings when their connection gets set up, just plug the router in and go.

Oh, and ipconfig will save you the reboots.
Old July 31, 2008, 10:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i got it working last night. thanks guys. I forgot to post on here though :P heh.

Now my next question. im not sure if it can be done, but, I would like to get it so the wrt54gl could recieve wireless from my wrt600n and be plugged into my dads computer, so he can save files directly onto my computer too. Incase something happens to his, he's got a backup on mine. I would like it so he can have his internet from telus and be on the same router as my stepmom, getting his internet from that, also, be on my network to save files onto my computer. if i'm not explaining this properly, let me know.
Old July 31, 2008, 10:28 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I am sure you could do that. This is not a trivial project and I am sure you could not do it with stock firmware or extra gear.

I think one way you could do that would be to put OpenWRT or DDwrt on the 54gl and set it up to be part of the same SSID as your 600n. You would have to either play games with DHCP assignment of gateways or have special routing tables.

Another option would be for you to install a 802.11g card in your computer and attach to their network. You would probably have to get one or the other network off the 192.168.1.x subnet to make this happen. (I am guessing running a cable to a second NIC in your comp is out of the question as you said wireless.)

You might just be better with an external hard drive for backup.
Old July 31, 2008, 11:39 AM
Allstar

make it simple and use only one router. Buy a cheap SWITCH and make a switched SOHO
Old July 31, 2008, 11:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I don't want to spend anything. and i do not want any cables going down into their office. i want ot do it all wirelessly. I do have an extra 802.11G card though..