Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 13, 2007, 05:39 PM
Rookie

Default FTP setup problem

I'm trying to use the FTP server feature of a Nexstar LX NAS on my LAN (Linksys WRT54GL wireless router). As I'm told that Telus (my ISP) blocks ports 21 and 80 (something their technician denies but other people have found to be true) I've configured the server to listen on port 2021. I fixed the server IP address at 192.168.1.10 and I've forwarded the router's ports 2020 and 2021 to that address.

I can access the FTP server from within my LAN but not from a remote IP address. When I use Gene6 FTP test it appears as though the account name and password are accepted but the next command is not successful. When I use Windows FTP from the DOS prompt I get an "unknown error". I've tried various port triggering, which I don't understand, but it hasn't helped.

Is it possible that Telus has managed to block FTP some other way and my only option is to find another ISP? Does any subscriber successfully run a similar setup? Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Old April 13, 2007, 06:37 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If you are behind a router you can try (just for testing... not for any length of time) setting the FTP ip to DMZ to see if it's a configuration problem.

Don't leave it like that as DMZ leaves all of your ports wide open, but I've used it before just to see if I could get through, and then closed it back up to figure out what settings I had wrong.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 13, 2007, 06:54 PM
Rookie

Thanks, I tried placing 192.168.1.10 in the DMZ but nothing changed. Do I need port triggering when setting up an FTP server?
Old April 13, 2007, 08:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Heh....

That's getting in well above my head......... :)

I know there are a couple of posters here who have pretty good knowledge of networking so hopefully they'll chime in.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 16, 2007, 11:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

it could be that telus could be using a content filter on top of just blocking the ftp ports. One way to test this would be to setup a different type of server on those ports and see if they work like HTTP or SSH. In my experince i find setting up an ftp server is a pain in the but and is much easier if you use ssh+sftp.

Old April 18, 2007, 11:23 AM
Rookie

Default sure hope i can help

TELUS

Ok, enough of that . I have a Linksys WRT350N wireless router, works great. One of the reasons i purchased this particulare router was because of the usb connection, where by I could set up a server using an external harddrive.
This past weekend I finally got the thing to work properly (many thanks goes out to the Linksys tech support people that gave me some direction) .
  1. first go to DynDNS.org and sign up for a ddns host name, at that time you will also get an external IP address.
  2. secondly I would hold in the little red reset button for about 30 seconds to bring every thing back to factory default.
  3. now heres' where the fun begins, cause I'm gonna have to open up another web page to see the Linksys setup stuff.
  4. ok, open up your web based setup bage (type the default gateway into the address bar 192.168.1.1), you have already been there so thats pretty straight forward, don't forget you have rest every thing back to factory, so your password will be admin.
  5. under the setup tab, click on the ddns tab (now assuming your setup page looks anything like mine, other wise, you will have to find the proper tab)
  6. ddns opens and there is a drop down with a couple of ddns company names, if this part dosen't work, guess we'll have to find another way around it, maybe I'll stop here and wait to hear back from you. The only reason I say this is because I don't know what yur setup pages look like. Are they anything like Linksys? And yes, when all is said and done we will have kicked out port 21 and set up a new port up in the 1000 range, and we won't be using port forwarding or port triggering, and we shouldn't have to use dmz, but for now get a a ddns host name and then see where to place it in the router settings.
And yes Smelus (oooops, Telus) does block port 21 (used for pop, email) port 20 (used for smtp, email) and port 80 (internet) booooooo, hisssssssss
Old April 18, 2007, 12:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

telus residential blocks ALL server addresses and with that said change your ftp sever port to something obscure like 92031 or some random number :)

But if they track your data usage it is easy enough to notice ftp transfer which could get you in trouble or a warning.
Old April 18, 2007, 03:47 PM
Rookie

my brother tells me the download time for big files is slow, but it does work
Old April 19, 2007, 02:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

Download time for ftp transfers is dependant on your upload speed. If you can only upload at 40k/sec thats all he'll get to download.
Old April 19, 2007, 02:56 PM
Rookie

Default Did you ever get the FTP running?

I reluctantly have several FTP sites running. I say reluctantly because they are a huge security hole for your network. Like the other guy said you can do a DynDNS account and give that out for people to connect to, and some obscure port above 20,000. But with Telus they don't really change the IP that they dynamicaly give you very often. Just for clarity, what is the point of you having the FTP running? Are you sharing files with a remote system, or just on your LAN? Did you have the FTP port open as well as the controll port? You do need the 2 ports for FTP to function properly, are you using PASV or PORT for your FTP connections. Also something you will need to sort out as if you use PASV you will also have to open additional ports in the FTP servers assigned PASV range for the data connections to go through. You may see people connect to the FTP, but they will not be able to get directory listings, and stuff like that.
Swiftech Apex Ultra H20 Storm & MCW55
Antec Phantom 500 PSU
LG GSA-4167B Yamaha CRW-F1 CD-RW
Modded Lian-Li PC-60 Case