Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 18, 2007, 12:27 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phredd Smytthe View Post
I have no idea. Should they be the same? Which one is correct? As I have access to the web I assume that the router subnet entry of 255.255.224.0 is correct.
assumption correct

Quote:
I've just found a piece of advice elsewhere on the web saying that the Primary DNS should read 192.168.1.1, the same as the Gateway.
I don't believe this is necessary in your case. It 'could' read ..... not 'should'

Quote:
No success with that change either.
how are you accessing the FTP server - through a browser or an FTP client? (Both from the LAN and WAN)
Old July 18, 2007, 12:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

Your router will have two sets of IP addresses; it'll have the WAN address infor your ISP and it'll have the LAN info for your network. If you have your router setup as DHCP it'll assign this info itself but if you set it up DHCP then you have to specify the private IP assignment and then in the computers on the network you have to setup the ip and gateway as the subnet shouldn't need to change from the 255.255.255.0.

Gateway is always x.x.1.1 unless otherwise specified.
DNS Servers are those from your ISP and can be retrieved from the WAN ip info page.

Most people will setup their internal network using static ips from the 192.168.x.x but I choose to use 10.x.x.x as i find it easier.
Old August 18, 2007, 08:22 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwhacker View Post
- no such thing as blocking FTP function - it's just more 1s and 0s through TCP.
- Telus does block some ports, however I doubt they are blocking 10s of thousands .... which any of can be used for FTP.

I'm betting it's a configuration problem with setting it up. It is so easy to overlook/miss any one of a number of details such that accessing the FTP from the WAN doesn't work.
Unfortunately its not just 1's and 0's... Well it is, but there is more to it than that. There is something called Stateful Packet Inspection or SPI in place. What this is able to do is inspect the packet headers of any data moving in any direction on any given port (TCP or UDP).

Depending on the rules defined by the administrator, an SPI router/switch can be told to disallow packets with headers matching the FTP spec on ANY port. It can be configured to either drop the connection entirely or purposely strip the header and rewrite it and or garble it.

This is how corporate intranets with internet access control what you can do from your workstation. They usually implement it in conjunction with a proxy server, but it doesn't have to be implemented this way.

Im not a TELUS customer however, so I cannot immediately verify if they are utilizing SPI for their consumer DSL connections. But I will look into it.

At this point in time, I am thinking that the issue with access FTP on the LX NAS is something to do with the unit itself since I cannot get it work either, and my ISP does not BLOCK/SPI ANYTHING. I can host an FTP server on my box and access it fine from outside my router with proper port forwarding setup. But I cannot access the FTP on the LX at all even with proper port forwarding setup.

This is something to do with the way the LX handles routed packets or something goofy like that. VERY POOR design IMO.
Old August 18, 2007, 09:03 AM
Rookie

Default Confirmed

**CONFIRMED **

TELUS is using SPI. I've just tested this on my friends TELUS DSL connection.

I setup a simple FTP server using port 21 and connected the box directly to the DSL modem (NO ROUTER INVOLVED). Attempts to make an FTP connection to the box from across the internet fail.

We tried non-standard ports gallore and still had the same problem. So this 100% indicates to me that TELUS has implemented SPI in the layer somewhere.

Conclusion : For those of you that wish to run an FTP server on your box over the TELUS consumer network , you will need to run an SSH capable FTP server over one of the standard SSL ports (443 or 563 and sometimes 995).

For those of you that wish to host your LX NAS on a TELUS consumer connection, the scenario gets quite a bit more involved. Here is basic rundown of what you need to do. I can offer more assistance via email if you require it.

You need to have your LX connected to your internal network with a static IP configured - something 192.168.1.200

DO NOT configure port forwarding for the LX NAS in the router AT ALL as it is pointless.

Setup an SSH Daemon on a PC running on your internal network. A good one that is tried and true is WinSSHD (WinSSHD (Bitvise))

Then you will need carry around an SSH Client with you when you are not at home, or hook your friends up with one and show'em how to use it so they can access your FTP. A good one is Tunnellier (Tunnelier (Bitvise))

I wont go into detail on how to configure these two components right now, but it is not that complicated.

Configure WinSSHD to listen on any port (443 is probably best choice for numerous reasons, but not required).

Configure your router to forward port 443 from WAN to LAN (PC running WinSSHD).

***CAUTION : IF YOU HAVE A LINKSYS ROUTER ***
The majority of consumer linksys wired/wireless routers WILL NOT forward port 443 as this is a BY DESIGN flaw - this is because linksys routers support HTTPS for the config interface, and even if you tell it not to allow HTTPS it still bites the port, so its a no go - USE PORT 563 !

Configure the Tunnelier client to connect to WinSSHD on the port you have it configured to listen on. Here is where it gets tricky, and by that I mean hard to follow for most people.

Under the C2S tab , configure a rule to listen on 127.0.0.1 - port 21 (or any other) distination host is the internal IP of your LX NAS. Comment can be anything. Check off Accept server-side-port forwardings.

Log tunnelier into your SSHD from any computer outside your router and point your FTP client at 127.0.0.1 and the port your configured to redirect. And there ya go. Works.

Obviously some PROS and CONS here. CONS being that its a pain in the ass to setup like this. PROS its FAR FAR more secure this way.

In any case, TELUS customers are getting the dry hump. End of story.
Old August 18, 2007, 09:16 AM
Rookie

Default Some other LX NAS tips :

Just thought I would toss a few more tips into this forum as it comes up as a high hitter in google searches, and alot of people are inquiring / questioning this units abilities.

For those of you having hangup and file corruption issues - I have managed to recreate this issue and it appears to be related to over heating issues as mentioned by one other person in another forum.

Try chucking a 10k RPM drive in this enclosure and watch it crap the bed real fast. Using a 7.2k RPM drive and it still craps the bed, but takes longer. This doesn't happen if the unit is sitting idle. If you do large file transfers to and from the drive, it starts to heat up more and causing the IC inside the LX to overheat and hang.

SOLUTION :

Use a slow-ass 5.4k RPM. Some people might say "Why would I use a slow drive like that?".. Well dont forget that the LX is only 10/100 Full duplex. Which means its maximum theoretical bandwidth is just a wee bit over 12megabytes per second. A 5.4k RPM drive can handle this just fine. And dont forget network overhead, etc. So 5.4k is MORE than enough.

Alternatively, do what I have done. I've installed a 160GB 2.5" Mobile/Notebook harddrive. To do this, all you need is a 2.5" mobile to
ATA adapter board to go inside the unit with the drive, and there is plenty of room in there when you are using a 2.5 drive.

The benefits to this are it runs pretty much 100% SILENT and generates next to NO HEAT.

The downside is the added cost of using a notebook drive - but well worth it in my opinion.
Old August 18, 2007, 09:56 AM
Rookie

Default Updated

It appears that TELUS will allow FTP on ports > 5000 and < 8000.

We were not able to FTP on 4999 and lower or 8001 and higher.

Enjoy this while you can, cause we all know how TELUS opperates.

Peace.

Im not going to bother searching anymore ports, but for those of you
that know how to use Ethereal, be my guest - My work here is done.