Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 12, 2007, 10:50 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phredd Smytthe View Post
I'm trying to use the FTP server feature of a Nexstar LX NAS on my LAN (Linksys WRT54GL wireless router). As I'm told that Telus (my ISP) blocks ports 21 and 80 (something their technician denies but other people have found to be true) I've configured the server to listen on port 2021. I fixed the server IP address at 192.168.1.10 and I've forwarded the router's ports 2020 and 2021 to that address.
On your LAN you can use the default port(s). You do need to connect in PORT mode with the FTP client on the LAN. Connecting to your FTP server from a WAN location works better in PASV mode and requires using additional Port Forwarding (choose between 1024 and 65535). Provide 2 ports for each connection you are allowing. If 5 clients are to be allowed - open 10 ports (ie 21200 - 21210). This will also need to be configured in the server software. I am familiar with Gene6, Bulletproof and Serv-U - know these can be configured as necessary.

Quote:
I can access the FTP server from within my LAN but not from a remote IP address. When I use Gene6 FTP test it appears as though the account name and password are accepted but the next command is not successful. When I use Windows FTP from the DOS prompt I get an "unknown error". I've tried various port triggering, which I don't understand, but it hasn't helped.
Gene6 FTP client .. interesting, although it appears to be unsuppported currently. Gene6 for the most part is a server program that has been around for years and is widely used. I would try the free Filezilla or the best client out there - FlashFXP. You cannot access your FTP server through the WAN address when you are on the same LAN as the server. Use www2ftp.com to check functionality. << bbah .. Web2FTP deactivated! PM me with details and I can check connectivity if you want

Quote:
Is it possible that Telus has managed to block FTP some other way and my only option is to find another ISP? Does any subscriber successfully run a similar setup? Any other thoughts?
not possible, but it is possible for the ISP to notice the Uploading traffic over TCP (as opposed to UDP that most online gaming uses) at the steady max available from obscure ports.

Last edited by bushwhacker; May 12, 2007 at 10:56 PM.
Old May 25, 2007, 04:01 PM
Trial Member

Default the same

I have the same problem...

I bought this LAN HDD Welland Netshare ME-740AN and is connected to the router WRT54GL, I can access to the FTP only using ftp:// 192.168.1.101... but if I try to ftp:// my publib IP, it doesn't work... I tried to connect and set up the server ftp and the router to different ports, using the port forwarding... but nothing....

I even gave the ddns... but even with this... nothing

I even installed a ftp server on my computer using 192.168.1.100 ... and it works only in my LAN... using the PIP, it doesn't.

What to do then?
Old June 12, 2007, 01:02 AM
Rookie

Default FTP setup problem

Thank you to all for contributions to help solve my problem. I apologize for the delay in responding. I was obliged to go out of country for a while.

I followed catguy's suggestion about doing a full factory reset on my router (Linksys WRTS4GL) and then set up ddns using dyndns.org. I can successfully ping the ddns alias from within my LAN and it works fine with no losses. From elsewhere it fails.

Next I changed the ftp port to a number in the 60000 to 65000 range - no luck with the ftp server. I should mention that the Nexstar LX gives me very few configuration options. It is a very simple device - well suited to someone like me with limited knowledge (if I can get it to work, that is). All I can do is: enable/disable the server, change the port number, and set up user accounts. There is no control over PASV. As for IP address, I fixed it to 192.168.1.10, subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, gateway is 192.168.1.1. Primary and secondary DNS are set to those external ones reported by my router.

Finally I set the listening port to 2021 on the FTP server, forwarded ports 2020 and 2021 to 192.168.1.10, and then under Port Triggering set both the triggered range and the forwarded range to 2020 - 2021. It works fine from within the LAN but not from outside.

My purpose in setting up this FTP server is simply for the sake of sharing family photographs with relatives and friends. I also want to download certain reports when I'm in other countries. Traffic will be low. I'm sure there are other solutions to this but I am "pig-headed" and, having purchsed this device, I really want to get it working.

Thanks again for all your help in this matter.
Old June 12, 2007, 04:03 PM
Rookie

Default Remote access

Another thing which seems odd to me is that having enabled remote access to my router I can see and change the setup (http://ExternalIPAddress:8080). At the same time, I am unable to ping my external IP address directly (ping ExternalIPAddress).
Old June 12, 2007, 11:27 PM
MVP

Quote:
[...]my router (Linksys WRTS4GL)
there is no such router ... do you mean WRT54GL. These are the kind of errors that can pooch FTP communications.
Quote:
and then set up ddns using dyndns.org. I can successfully ping the ddns alias from within my LAN and it works fine with no losses. From elsewhere it fails.
by default, the Linksys router has "Block WAN Requests" enabled - meaning the router won't respond to ping commands (Page 26 of the manual)
Quote:
Next I changed the ftp port to a number in the 60000 to 65000 range - no luck with the ftp server. I should mention that the Nexstar LX gives me very few configuration options. It is a very simple device - well suited to someone like me with limited knowledge (if I can get it to work, that is). All I can do is: enable/disable the server, change the port number, and set up user accounts. There is no control over PASV. As for IP address, I fixed it to 192.168.1.10, subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, gateway is 192.168.1.1. Primary and secondary DNS are set to those external ones reported by my router.
The default Starting IP Address is 192.168.1.100 - have you changed this in the router's configuration to accept the 192.168.1.10 address?
Quote:
Finally I set the listening port to 2021 on the FTP server, forwarded ports 2020 and 2021 to 192.168.1.10, and then under Port Triggering set both the triggered range and the forwarded range to 2020 - 2021. It works fine from within the LAN but not from outside.

My purpose in setting up this FTP server is simply for the sake of sharing family photographs with relatives and friends. I also want to download certain reports when I'm in other countries. Traffic will be low. I'm sure there are other solutions to this but I am "pig-headed" and, having purchsed this device, I really want to get it working.
IMO this is a great way to share the pictures. You can restrict access with username/password, resume transfers, no limits to file sizes or quantity, and much much more. Keep the info coming ... it can be worked out!
Old June 13, 2007, 10:50 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwhacker View Post
there is no such router ... do you mean WRT54GL. These are the kind of errors that can pooch FTP communications.!
You are correct - that was a typo. Thanks.

Quote:
by default, the Linksys router has "Block WAN Requests" enabled - meaning the router won't respond to ping commands (Page 26 of the manual)!
I tried unblocking WAN requests and also disabling the firewall but still can't ping the router.

Quote:
The default Starting IP Address is 192.168.1.100 - have you changed this in the router's configuration to accept the 192.168.1.10 address?!
The starting IP address is for the DHCP server. When set to 192.168.1.100 it allows dynamic allocation of addresses in the range ...100 to ...254. The addresses between ...2 and ...99 are still available if specifically fixed. By doing it this way the chosen IP address won't get allocated to another device. There is nothing to change in the router configuration. I have a network printer set to 192.168.1.20 which works great. The FTP server is set to 192.168.1.10 and I can access it as such from within my network.

Quote:
IMO this is a great way to share the pictures. You can restrict access with username/password, resume transfers, no limits to file sizes or quantity, and much much more. Keep the info coming ... it can be worked out!
I agree and intend to solve this one way or another. I may try a different brand of router and I'm also considering changing ISP. Thanks.
Old June 13, 2007, 02:35 PM
MVP

Quote:
but still can't ping the router.
ping - using both the IP and the name from dyndns.org? Does DNS resolve the name to IP (correct one)? There is something basic wrong with this. Unusual and suspect something in the ddns. IP should respond quickly and easily .... as long as you are pinging the correct IP. Try traceroute to see how far you get.
Quote:
The starting IP address is for the DHCP server. When set to 192.168.1.100 it allows dynamic allocation of addresses in the range ...100 to ...254. The addresses between ...2 and ...99 are still available if specifically fixed. By doing it this way the chosen IP address won't get allocated to another device. There is nothing to change in the router configuration. I have a network printer set to 192.168.1.20 which works great. The FTP server is set to 192.168.1.10 and I can access it as such from within my network.
yes - right you are.

Quote:
I agree and intend to solve this one way or another. I may try a different brand of router and I'm also considering changing ISP. Thanks.
IMO neither is necessary. The Lnksys is a common router that works for FTP and the only influence an ISP can have is to block FTP, HTTP, etc ports. They don't block *all* the ports so it is possible to configure your setup for access. I would certainly update the firmware of the Linksys to the latest version.
Old July 12, 2007, 02:59 AM
Trial Member

same problem when i set up Nexstar LX NAS's ftp server.
it works fine in LAN and can not access from WAN.

I tried put it to DMZ, not working...
tried different port like: 22221 or 1234....not working...

I tried setup an ftp server on my computer use some most popular ftp server software...it still not working...

so I realized not the NAS's problem, not the wrong setting...

IT IS TELUS blocked FTP function not only port block also using something like package filter to prevent us using ftp!!!

Last edited by ling604; July 12, 2007 at 03:20 AM.
Old July 12, 2007, 11:18 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

OK, I've got two suggestions:

1) Try connecting your computer directly to the modem, without having your router in the way. Install an FTP server on it (I know, you're using the NAS normally, but we want to see if FTP is blocked). Configure it to listen on port 2021. See if you can even connect to it externally on port 2021. If it doesn't work, then you know Telus has something blocking FTP traffic.

2) If Telus is blocking FTP, you're out of luck. Sign up for Flickr or something and be done with it, at least for sharing photos. Or, sign up for a web hosting account somewhere, set up Gallery2, and host your photos using that. If you sign up for web hosting, you can also put up your documents and whatever you need to get to externally.
Old July 13, 2007, 11:16 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ling604 View Post
[...]

IT IS TELUS blocked FTP function not only port block also using something like package filter to prevent us using ftp!!!
- no such thing as blocking FTP function - it's just more 1s and 0s through TCP.
- Telus does block some ports, however I doubt they are blocking 10s of thousands .... which any of can be used for FTP.

I'm betting it's a configuration problem with setting it up. It is so easy to overlook/miss any one of a number of details such that accessing the FTP from the WAN doesn't work.

Help | TELUS Personal Internet

Last edited by bushwhacker; July 13, 2007 at 11:34 AM.