Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 28, 2008, 07:32 PM
Rookie

Default ISP

I dunno what title to pick though, but i wanna ask are there providers in canada that supports FTTH(Fiber to the Home). Japan has it for 3years now i think .

Thanks
Old July 28, 2008, 08:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default WRT600n

EDIT: OOPS SORRY didn't mean to post that in here. sorry dude, i'm not sure

Last edited by Phobia; July 28, 2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old July 28, 2008, 09:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Best you're getting is DSL or Cable with stupid bandwidth caps and throttling on P2P and varying speeds overall in Toronto...

Canada is moving backwards as far as Internet service goes IMO. I had a 5Mbps/800Kbps line with Bell with unlimited bandwidth and no throttling for $40/month or less depending on the contract since 2000. Now they feel like ripping off customers by offering 7Mbps/800Kbps with a 60GB cap and lovely throttling.

I couldn't care less if it's UP TO 2Mbps faster, just means you're going to hit the 60GB cap that much quicker. Even their 16Mbps service has a 60GB cap. Totally stupid.

Maybe outside of Toronto you might be able to get FTTH though I highly doubt it. Even in the USA it's just starting to get rolled out...
Old July 28, 2008, 11:49 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Bell advertised FTTH here in downtown with a door hanger.
Old July 29, 2008, 07:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit View Post
Bell advertised FTTH here in downtown with a door hanger.
For $83/month + modem rental + tax along with a 100GB cap + support in India? Doesn't sound that great to me...

Maybe I'm just a heavy user but 100GB isn't enough, especially when your downloading at 2MB/s (in theory). I average about 200GB/month with a 5Mbps connection. If I had a 16Mbps connection that would easily be higher...
Old July 29, 2008, 09:52 AM
MVP

Internet access seems to be the only thing we have going for us here in Nova Scotia compared to central/western Canada.

I'm currently paying $99/month + tax for internet/phone/cable with Eastlink. Internet is 15mbps/1mbps with no caps. P2P is thottled, but not nearly as badly as Rogers or Bell, I can still do 1GB worth of good torrents in about 10 minutes.

HD channels are lacking, only 14 HD channels available for another $20/month (digital service, HD service, reciever rental), but at least it gets CBC and TSN, so I get to watch my hockey in HD. :)
Old July 29, 2008, 10:45 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Teksavvy is well worth checking out if theyr'e available in your area.

Competitive prices, good speed, large download limits, there's a firmware workaround to bypass Bell's throttling (they still use Bell's lines so are subject to Bell's throttling) & best of all their tech support is local and they know what they're talking about.

I switched to them from Shaw (I'm in Alberta) a couple of months back and my download speed has tripled, I've had next to no downtime (that fire in Vancouver knocked me down for a day) and have had any technical queries answered within minutes. All for maybe $1/month more than I was paying with Shaw.
Old July 29, 2008, 01:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I second teksavvy. I use them. Their service is stellar even though p2p is throttled but they can't do much about that. Also for around 40 bucks a month you can get an unlimited plan wih no data caps. So while p2p is throttled you don't have to worry about overages :). I highly recommend them.

Old July 29, 2008, 02:07 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdguy View Post
I second teksavvy. I use them. Their service is stellar even though p2p is throttled but they can't do much about that.
There's a way to bypass that throttle with Teksavvy.
I didn't look into it too much since Telus doesn't throttle P2P here in Alberta, but for those of you in Ontario who have to put up with Bell and their throttling there is a workaround - something to do with flashing the firmware on your router.

If you're interested check out the teksavvy forum over at www.dslreports.com to find out how.
Old July 29, 2008, 04:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

Acanac is the cheapest I think..18.99 for the first year and after 30 or so..you get 5Mb/s and 800Kb/s ..no throttle I think..you can ask for a 30 day test username on dslforum..