Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 17, 2008, 10:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default NAS Recommendations?

Anyone have any experience with stand-alone NAS products?

Looking for something simple to hook onto our work network for shared storage/backup. Nothing huge, just for easy access to central files. All our systems are XP Pro.

Thanks,
Gord
Old June 17, 2008, 10:59 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

You might want to try freeNAS, it's a linux-based, super small distro with a web interface that can convert just about any old machine into a NAS server with advanced features like software raid and more. It can run live off a CD or be installed on a tiny partition of one of the hard drives in the NAS. I'd highly recommend it from my experience with it thus far (I'm building a NAS box out of my first PC: An AMD K6-2 400mhz - And it's working great so far!)

Link for download: SourceForge.net: FreeNAS

PS: It plays nice with windows machines - or anything that has a web browser.
Old June 17, 2008, 02:31 PM
Allstar

The D-Link NAS http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...cture=D%2DLink is a pretty solid unit and fairly cheap. I believe last year they were over $300 and now they are half the price. My boss has been using them for a long time and has no complaints, I think he has 6 of them or so. We also use them for some clients and we've never had an issue with them so far.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old June 17, 2008, 03:28 PM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

I'm a big fan of this one:

Name:  23417.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  3.6 KB

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ynology%20Inc.
Old June 17, 2008, 03:37 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I had already looked at that D-Link, that's probably what I'll end up setting up. We do have an old tower I could convert, but space in the cupboard (excuse me, communications hub) is at a premium. That Synology doesn't come with SATA interface unfortunately, it looks like a good option otherwise.
Old July 3, 2008, 12:55 AM
MVP

I'm a fan of FreeNAS myself. I have a good 5 or 6 servers running it.
If you want idiot proof, I'd recommend a Drobo. Someone over at NCIX tested one of those units TO HELL and the data survived. I was quite shocked.
It's expensive (especially if you count the network dealie) but it seems deadly solid.

If you're cheap and know what you're doing (to an extent) go with FreeNAS.
Just make sure you back it with a decent RAID card if you're RAIDing.
3ware has a real nice cheap card out. 9690SA 4I for under $400 beans.
You'll have to buy cables separately unless you buy a kit. The specs on that sucker are HOT.
Old July 8, 2008, 09:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

as for stand alone products. That depends on your budget.

BUt for 2 drive nas i would recommend the D-link.

for 4 drive nas either the Intel SS4000 or Infrant Ready Nas (i think d-link has one that i essentially rebranded)

if you have a tower you can convert it ofcourse depends on budget. IF your budget is low get a highpoint raid card. If it's high get a raid card from a company like 3ware or aureca.

I personally have one of those intel boxes running on my network. Works great except for one thing it is very very slow. (8MB max transfer speed on gigabit network) my Multimedia NAS is much faster at around 28-35 MB over the gigabit.

Old December 6, 2008, 02:50 PM
Top Prospect

I'm considering an NAS to run my two Samsung F1 1TB drives, so I'm looking for suggestions. speed isn't as important as reliability as long as it lets me pull off a 720p show w/o difficulties. I'm seeing a lot of NAS have size limitations....so aside from building myself a system to do this, what are my options in the ready-made NAS out there?
Old December 6, 2008, 03:16 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I have the DNS-323 running a Gigabit network. It's pretty good. The only downside are the drives running a tad hot. But my WDs in RAID 5 don't seem to complain.
Old December 6, 2008, 03:25 PM
Top Prospect

Don't forget the d-link one is entirely hackable.