Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 10, 2018, 07:32 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Best way to protect my remote connections.

I have a few devices on my network that I like to be able to remotely connect to while im out. These consists of remote desktop to a couple of my pcs. SSH access, accessing my home assistant UI and maybe be able to access my freenas box.

What would be the best method to securely browse these devices? A reverse proxy or vpn maybe? Im currently behind an edgerouter x. Used to have pfsense but my mobo on that box did not have an auto on after power failure so it got annoying.

Thanks.
Old January 10, 2018, 12:21 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

You are probably better off searching or asking this on the Ubiquiti forums. But I am curious as well....I'm on the Unifi network structure though as I added cameras and their switches.
Old January 10, 2018, 12:38 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I would setup OpenVPN on the edgerouter. That is the easiest way imo, then its normal network access to your devices. At least that is what I do at my place (I use Mikrotik though).

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/artic...OpenVPN-Server
Old January 10, 2018, 03:36 PM
Rookie

2nd vote for a VPN. Reduce your attack surface by only having a single entry point (VPN). Once you are VPN'd in, you can treat your PC as if you were on the local network.

VPNs have the additional benefit of typically encrypting your traffic, so if you're on a public wifi like at timmy ho's or starf*cks, the traffic between you and your personal network will all look like gibberish to anyone else on the same public wifi.

Overall, it's a great recommendation for security in general, and I set one up for my wife when she was sent on business trip to toronto to connect her surface and access network shares.
Old January 10, 2018, 04:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I would recommend implementing this IP blocklist update script: https://github.com/WaterByWind/edgeos-bl-mgmt

You could also enable some of the extra FireHOL lists as well to further block things. Should stop a good chunk of malicious attack attempts at your exposed ports.
Old January 16, 2018, 04:45 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Regarding using a vpn speed wise? If I were to host openvpn on my edgerouter, Will I see a speed drop while at home? I only care about using a vpn for "me" to access my network. When im at home, I dont really have a need for one.
Old January 16, 2018, 05:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggyk View Post
Regarding using a vpn speed wise? If I were to host openvpn on my edgerouter, Will I see a speed drop while at home? I only care about using a vpn for "me" to access my network. When im at home, I dont really have a need for one.
My EdgeRouter 8 Pro tops out at roughly 20Mbps on OpenVPN. I'm not sure what the performance is like on the ER-X though since it's a different CPU. I suspect it's lower , so it depends if the speed is enough for you or not.

You're likely better off running the OpenVPN server on your NAS or one of your PCs.
Old January 16, 2018, 05:37 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
My EdgeRouter 8 Pro tops out at roughly 20Mbps on OpenVPN. I'm not sure what the performance is like on the ER-X though since it's a different CPU. I suspect it's lower , so it depends if the speed is enough for you or not.

You're likely better off running the OpenVPN server on your NAS or one of your PCs.
okay so what your saying is that even if im home on my local network, with the vpn running il still see a speed performance drop?
Old January 16, 2018, 05:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

why not just TeamViewer in on a PC that controls the equipment?
Old January 16, 2018, 06:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggyk View Post
okay so what your saying is that even if im home on my local network, with the vpn running il still see a speed performance drop?
If you are home and somebody is connecting into your network via OpenVPN, probably notice some impact since it'll be consuming CPU cycles on the router. If you are just at home and nobody is using the VPN, then no, I don't think you'll see any impacts.

And it depends where you plan to access this from. Is it from your computer at work? If so, a lot of companies block all VPN protocols. If you just want to access it from your phone, then TeamViewer or Chrome's Remote Desktop are likely better options since they're optimized for WAN/LTE/3G usage.