Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 14, 2017, 07:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default How to improve the wifi in my house?

My house is ~3000 sq.ft. and "L" shaped. On the main floor I have a RT-AC66U at on end of the "L" and a Linksys WRT610N on the second floor at the other end of the "L". The WRT610N is being used as a AP and is GB hardwired to the Asus, and the Asus is then GB hardwired to the cable modem. FWIW all devices in the house that can be hardwired are.

The 2.4GHz band is strong throughout the house (even down the street) but is otherwise unusable. Web pages load slow or often fail to load at all, streaming anything is impossible. The 5GHz band is fast but range is very limited, even 25ft. away with clear line of sight to either router shows weak signal and a dodgy connection.

The routers have the same SSID for the 5GHz band and another name for the 2.4GHz band - I've read this is preferable. Tonight standing right in front of the Linksys my phone showed no wifi and switched over to LTE.

I've read these router are decent quality so maybe something to do with the setup? Does anyone have any kind of advice?
Thanks.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Still rockin' the Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old September 14, 2017, 07:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

That's really weird. Is this a townhouse/duplex? Seems odd that the signal would be that poor.

Is it possible to get these routers up as high as possible in their current positions? Perhaps on top of a bookcase or even mounting them high up on the wall?

The whole separate SSID for each band is kind of an old methodology IMO. That doesn't allow your device to roam between 2.4GHz and 5GHz as it sees fit depending on signal quality/strength. Instead, it'll stick to 5GHz until it's unusable and drops the connection before attempting to connect to the 2.4GHz (or vice-versa).

For your 2.4GHz - are you using 20MHz as the channel width? 40MHz is not very neighbourly. I'd set each AP to their own channel from 1, 6, or 11. Stick to those 3 options as the channel numbers in between have too much overlap/interference.

The other potential issue I see on the 5GHz band - you have an AC and a N router. You probably want to set your AC router to N-only to keep them the same so they co-exist better. And again, similar channel rules apply here, keep the width the same, probably 40MHz, and use different channels on each.

Oh and make sure you are using WPA2-AES as the only encryption type.
Old September 14, 2017, 08:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Its a 7 y.o. fully detached house. The upstairs router is easy enough to move, it's currently sitting on the bottom shelf of a book case. Though I didn't think height would matter. The downstairs one is near other electronics (receiver, cable box, and HTPC), I can move it a bit to distance it from the other electronics but options are limited and there is no way I can wall mount without risking divorce.

I gave the 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands different names because everything grinds to a halt on the 2.4GHz band. We don't save the 2.4GHz band into the cell phones so they don't connect to it. The only devices on that band are the thermostat and a printer where I don't really care if it takes a few minutes for a temp change to kick in or a page to print. I tried forcing just 20MHz but didn't see much difference. I'll try the different channels. I hadn't played with that yet and both are set to auto right now - one is on 10, the other 4.

I'll try the other suggestions too, again things I never tried.

Thanks.

[edit]Made the changes and the phone didn't like it... had to forget the network and reconnect. It appears to be much improved now. I'll see how it goes over normal use over the next few days and let you know. Thanks again.[/edit]
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Still rockin' the Cooler Master Cosmos on water

Last edited by biff; September 14, 2017 at 08:20 PM.
Old October 1, 2017, 08:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The thread is old, but thought I would answer anyway.

The new mesh topology network devices like the Asus Lyra are the shit.

Usable speeds, and the 3 pack would obviously work well in an L shaped house with one in each corner.
Old October 2, 2017, 01:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Use inssider on a pc to scan what channels are least congested