Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 14, 2017, 08:30 AM
Top Prospect

Default Yamaha Network Receiver Not Showing As Media Device On Hardwired Computers

Equipment

Network Receiver: Yamaha R-N301

Computer: AMD FX 8320, Gigabyte 970-GAMING SLI, GSKILL Ripjaws F3-14900CL10D-16GBXL, WIN 10 x64 Home

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad T61, 4GB Ram, Win 7 x64 Ultimate

The problem I am experiencing is my Network Receiver, which is connected to my Router/Modem wirelessly, is not showing up in File Explorer as a Media Device on my Desktop Computer which is hardwired to the Router/Modem. It does show up periodically for about 5 to 15 sec and then disappears.

It shows up on my Laptop when it (the Laptop) is connected to the Router/Modem wirelessly. If I turn off the wireless connection and hardwire the laptop to the Router/Modem it doesn't show up as well.

I can still play my FLAC and MP3 files from my Desktop Computer over my Network Receiver but sometimes takes a while to connect.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Gonzo; July 15, 2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old July 14, 2017, 01:22 PM
Rookie

Hi,

I have the very similar RN-500.

You could verify for any firmware update in the network settings menu and apply it if available.

You could also change the network cable between the receiver and router (maybe damaged?) and switch port on the router.

It will probably help to do a dhcp ip reservation for the receiver in the router (always get the same ip / name).

Does the receiver respond well for the ios / android app?

Brad
Old July 14, 2017, 04:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

looks maybe a bad network cable as said above check firmware updates

also try no DHCP to if connects
Old July 15, 2017, 10:07 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbrad View Post
Hi,

I have the very similar RN-500.

You could verify for any firmware update in the network settings menu and apply it if available.

You could also change the network cable between the receiver and router (maybe damaged?) and switch port on the router.

It will probably help to do a dhcp ip reservation for the receiver in the router (always get the same ip / name).

Does the receiver respond well for the ios / android app?

Brad
Thanks Brad

I don't use a Network Cable between the receiver and router, instead I am using a Yamaha YWA-10 Wireless Network Adapter. It seems to be functioning alright since I can use Airplay with Itunes and Server with Media Player, plus I get Internet Radio.

Because of this glitch (and I seem to be getting full Network function-ability) I am reserved about doing any firmware updates at this point even though I don't think there are any updates available at this time.

I am using the Network Player App on my Ipod and it works well but I had to manually enter the IP#.

Looks like the only issue is it doesn't show up in File Explorer on Hard-Wired Computers even though it shows up in Control Panel\Devices and Printers. Weird

Last edited by Gonzo; July 17, 2017 at 06:37 AM.
Old July 15, 2017, 10:12 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
looks maybe a bad network cable as said above check firmware updates

also try no DHCP to if connects
As I stated, the unit is not connected by cable but by a wireless adapter.
Old July 15, 2017, 06:26 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Wireless or cable, you still can disable DHCP and use a static address.
Old July 16, 2017, 06:17 PM
Rookie

I did missed the fact that you use the yamaha wireless adapter.

Could be a weak signal, but indeed weird behaviour.

Even with wireless, fixing a static ip from the yamaha network menu could help.

Or, as I suggested, set a manually assigned IP with the DHCP settings in the router with the wifi adapter mac address.

Updating the firmware is not risky, as it will download the new files into the receiver, verify them and finally apply them. The real risk is a power outage when updating (bricking the system).

If all recommendations fail, I suggest trying a powerline adapter if you really cannot get a network cable to the receiver.
Old August 5, 2017, 07:20 AM
Top Prospect

Default Fixed

After more issues I finallu updated the Firmware and that fixed all issues. Thanks for all the input.