Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 30, 2007, 12:40 AM
Rookie

Default Wireless Router Recommendations?

Going to be setting up a wireless network for a family members new house in a couple months and I've always been one of those old school wired guys. But they have laptops and want wireless. Crazy kids.

So I've done a lot of reading around, reviews and such, and here's the problem, it seems whichever router make you go with, seems there's about a 65% user rating for about any product.

Typical manufacturers I'm looking at are Linksys, Netgear, and D-Link.

So I'm wondering about people's experiences here maybe with these makes of wireless routers and any recommendations or avoidances.

Thanks
Old April 2, 2007, 06:49 PM
Rookie

Default wireless routers??

Wireless routers. Well Iím far from any kind of authority on the subject, but here is a list of the ones I have tried (and two of them I own).
1. D-link 604+ (an early G model, not made any more, sold in a package deal by TELUS, weak wireless signal)
2. Belkin N1 (I had this unit for a few weeks, I got rid of it because I didnít like there tech support)
3. I settled for a Linksys WRT350N (setup was easy, then I had a bit of a problem with the MAC address, but got that straightened out with the knowledgeable tech support staff at Linksys)
So my overall recommendation would be the Linksys WRT350N, very strong wireless signal, great tech support, and there web based setup procedure is great also, besides I like the USB port they have incorporated into this router, now if I could just figure out how to set up the server configuration using a ddns server I would be real happy. Hope this helps.
Old April 2, 2007, 09:59 PM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

I've didn't have to much luck with the last two Linksys routers i've owned (had to reset them frequently) but I hear good things about their linux based models.

I'm fond of my Netgear Rangemax WPN824. Hasn't let me down yet.

Name:  15413.JPG
Views: 1267
Size:  4.1 KB
Old April 3, 2007, 12:32 PM
Rookie

Default Linksys

i'm hoping this wrt350n will stay working, it seems to be fine now, not sure what happened to the mac address, by the way Gav, is itpermisable in these posts to use capital letters for acronyms?? just wondering
thanks
Old April 3, 2007, 07:54 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by catguy View Post
i'm hoping this wrt350n will stay working, it seems to be fine now, not sure what happened to the mac address, by the way Gav, is itpermisable in these posts to use capital letters for acronyms?? just wondering
thanks
welcome catguy , must be ok they let me type here :p
Old April 6, 2007, 10:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

well it depends on what level of quality and options you want in your wireless router.

in general routers from linksys/dlink are geared towards the how market which support most of the standard features.

netgear has some slightly better offerings

but if you want to get the best then you can't go wrong with something from

cisco/lucent/alcatel

the AP i use in home is a lucent AP.

features i would look for are things such as support for

WPA
WPA2
WPA-PSK
WPA2-PSK
TKIP
AES
RADIUS Server
MAC Filter

For a home setup i would recommend WPA2-PSK with AES encryption if possible. if not use TKIP but NEVER have an encrypted or wep encrypted wireless. :) For the cisco stuff i would not buy it new scrounge eBay and see what you can find. you may be pleasantly surprised. (if anyone wants some explanation on the above acronyms i can give it a shot)

Old December 3, 2007, 01:30 AM
Top Prospect

Default what about Asus or Buffalo routers?

I've read a few reviews about them which seem to be rather favorable. what are your thoughts on them? I forget any of the models for Buffalo, but for Asus, WL-500G and WL-500W come to mind. both have excellent specs which would look to letting you think they have some excellent operability.
Old December 3, 2007, 12:12 PM
Allstar

The D-Link DIR-655 is an awesome router for a very nice price. I highly recommend it.

The Linksys WRT350N is also a decent choice; however, paying that much for a Draft N v1 router irks me. Plus I find the D-Link usually performs as good (range) or better (throughput, number of connections).

I've heard some good things about the Netgear N offerings, but I haven't actually used them myself.
Old December 3, 2007, 12:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

Asus WL-520GU is a great little router and Asus has released a N version of it too.
Old December 3, 2007, 04:06 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

User reviews are generally not a good place to look for help in the computer arena. Most issues are a PICNIC; Problem In Chair, Not In Computer. Me and my friends all use Linksys routers and they work fine. I avoid D-Link like the plague as nothing I have ever used from them has worked well. I figure that is basically blind luck as others have the opposite experience. It sounds like you are looking for a simple solution. Considering these things are pretty cheap I suggest getting the cheapest one you can and try it out. If it does not serve the purpose then toss it and get something else to fix the problem or add needed functionality.

I suggest you look at the Apple Airport base station. The USB connector could be a great value add for a shared printer or backup drive.