Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 19, 2016, 05:31 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Linksys MAX-STREAM EA9500 Router Review Comment Thread

Is it a router, outer space invader or Cylon Basestar? Linksys' MAX-STREAM EA9500 may look odd but it also happens to be one of the most powerful routers on the market.

Read more here: Linksys MAX-STREAM EA9500 Router Review
Old December 19, 2016, 05:38 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

If any one is interested.... IMHO this one of the best on the market. So much so I pulled an Asus (the third Asus in a row that I have used since 802.11 came on the scene... and I honestly thought I would eventually replace it with another Asus) and replaced it with this bad boy. Bigger, better coverage. More wired lan ports.... Truly amazing kit. Well worth its asking price.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 19, 2016, 05:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm not happy with the TP-Link Archer AC2600 I recently procured. I may look into this unit.

Old December 20, 2016, 07:40 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Impressive. I don't read a lot of router reviews but that one was intriguing. But it's $499.99 at Bestbuy.ca. Wowy... But considering how much activity we do and content we consume from the Internet these days paying more for something that works really well isn't a bad place to point your money. I went from a Netgear to ~$250 ASUS and that upgrade was great. I am assuming from the review and AkG's comment that it might be a similar upgrade to go from the ASUS to this.

I don't know if I could recommend a $500 router to most of my friends and family like the review says, but I'd like to have one!
Old December 20, 2016, 09:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yes, once I did some quick research last night and once I saw the ~$500 CAD price tag it gave me pause. At that price I might as well spend more and look at the Netgear X10 or TP-Link AD7200 Talon - in particular, the X10 loses 2x 1Gbps ports over the Linksys but gains a 10Gbps SFP port, and it's 802.11ad, though no devices support that yet (I'm aware of the drawback of short range + line of sight)

Could also just keep the old router and get a Ubiquiti AP but I don't think I want to go that route at this time.

Old December 20, 2016, 11:40 AM
F@H

My System Specs

One thing I'd really like to see in router reviews is whether or not VLans can be configured for configs like Bell's FibreOP. Because of the IPTV functionality a third party router cannot be used without some hefty networking gymnastics that most consumer routers can't do. (Unfortunately the requirements are wayyyyy over my head so other than the ability to set VLan ports I can't even specify what those requirements are.... :( ).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old December 20, 2016, 02:33 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I see the proud tradition of Christmas Price Gouging is still alive and well.

Honestly if I didnt have one... I probably still pick it up even at 5 bills. Its just that good a router... and that packed with future proofing.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 21, 2016, 08:43 AM
F@H

My System Specs

NCIX has it listed for $380 in today's email flyer, but for some reason that sale price isn't being reflected on the website so you'd have to poke them in order to get the right price....

Name:  router.JPG
Views: 126
Size:  31.4 KB

Ah.... I see, the sale apparently isn't effective until 25'th Dec - 31'st.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM

Last edited by sswilson; December 21, 2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old December 21, 2016, 09:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

At that price all I can think is that a Ubitquiti setup comes into play. Is it still worth going the consumer router route at that point? I know the AC Pro AP is only AC1300 but in reality what is actually going to make proper use of AC5400?
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old December 21, 2016, 11:06 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever View Post
At that price all I can think is that a Ubitquiti setup comes into play. Is it still worth going the consumer router route at that point? I know the AC Pro AP is only AC1300 but in reality what is actually going to make proper use of AC5400?
I agree LP. Plus you could easily set up a mesh network coverage with 2 ACP's for a similar price point, if so desired, with expansion capability down the road to enlarge the mesh.

I guess it really depends on your usage though, and this may be an apple-oranges reasoning.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about