Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 24, 2016, 07:49 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default TP-Link Archer C3150 802.11AC Router Review (Comment Thread)

It may have an understated, boring design but behind the TP-Link Archer C3150's common facade and budget-focused price lies an extremely impressive Wireless AC router. One that deserves your attention.

Read more here: TP-Link Archer C3150 802.11AC Router Review
Old November 28, 2016, 08:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What would be a good set of antennas to cope with lots of devices connected in a zone C scenario?
Old December 9, 2016, 10:59 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
What would be a good set of antennas to cope with lots of devices connected in a zone C scenario?
I'm also interested in this as I am seriously considering this router for purchase.

AMD Ryzen 1700 CPU
Asrock AB350 Pro 4 Motherboard
Corsair LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 3200Mhz
Adata SX8000 256GB NVME Drive
Crucial MX300 525GB M.2 Drive
EVGA GTX1080 FTW2
Corsair H105 AIO
Phanteks P400S Tempered Glass Edition
EVGA Supernova 650 G3
Old December 11, 2016, 06:52 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I have an old Linksys WRT160N Version 3.0. I just changed from Bell to Cable 120mb/s. Would I get better speed over LAN and WiFi with this router? Canada Computers has it on sale for $199.00 until the 15th.

Thanks.
Old December 11, 2016, 08:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante1 View Post
I have an old Linksys WRT160N Version 3.0. I just changed from Bell to Cable 120mb/s. Would I get better speed over LAN and WiFi with this router? Canada Computers has it on sale for $199.00 until the 15th.

Thanks.
For 99% of users the router is not the bottleneck.

If you're talking solely about download speeds even a 120mbit pipe won't throttle with a (10?) year old box. If you're talking about in-house transfers then anything within the last 2/4 years will show improvement (especially gigabit lan ports) versus older routers, but again, that has nothing to do with your ISP.

After that, amount of transfer, type of transfer, number of clients, etc can determine why you should get a new router.

TLDR: Usage of the router matters more than speeds of your ISP.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old December 11, 2016, 08:34 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Get the highest db antennas you can find. The bigger they are... the better the signal will be. Ive used a bunch of different types and until you get into the really high end it doesnt matter enough to worry about brand A vs B.

Over Lan... yes as long as your cable and NICs are not the bottleneck and it is your existing router. The controller in this is much, much more powerful.
Over WAN... nope. Your ISP is the bottleneck.
Over wifi... maybe. Really depends on how old the rest of the network is. BUT connection should be better with high signal power so it will probably breathe a bit of life into older kit as well.

Hope that helps

EDIT:
Forgot to mention I will have this and the 3200 up for sale at some point. If anyone wants to email before I get my lazy but in gear to grab a photo and do the whole -ugh- thread ... etc etc

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 4, 2017, 11:39 AM
Rookie

I bought the Archer C3150 v2 router. I would like to know if I'm doing something wrong. I have MacBook Retina 15 (Mid 2014) - Wifi Card ( 802.11 a/b/g/n/AC ) / BroadCom BCM4360 BCM94360CSAX.
Hard Drive (SEAGATE Expansion 4TB). Transfer from MacBook to router hard disc its about 15 MB / s (read and write) at 5 GHz. I don't know what is wrong. I think the WiFi card in my Macbook is not so bad.
I tried too pendrive Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 (> 60 MB/s) and its the same only 15 MB/s at 5 GHz on USB 3.0 in C3150 v2.

Any ideas ?

Last edited by Tralien; October 4, 2017 at 12:03 PM.
Old October 4, 2017, 01:53 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

If different USB drives are hitting the same speed the bottleneck is somewhere else. Best guess is the Apple wifi is the issue. Have you tried using a different system - preferably not Mac based?

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 4, 2017, 02:17 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
If different USB drives are hitting the same speed the bottleneck is somewhere else. Best guess is the Apple wifi is the issue. Have you tried using a different system - preferably not Mac based?
On My Wife Acer netbook it's 21 / 22 MB/s (write / read) on WiFi N (300 Mb/s) and 40 / 85 MB/s (write / read) on LAN (1 Gb/s)

It dont make sens, internet working above 500 Mb/s (> 60 MB/s), but file transfer from Archer USB to Mac its working only at 15 MB/s

Last edited by Tralien; October 4, 2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old October 7, 2017, 05:06 PM
Rookie

The same MacBook on Windows - 27 MB/s (Write) / 35 MB/s (Read) - Broadcom BCM94360

Any idea where the problem in Mac OS (Sierra / High Sierra)?