Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 22, 2008, 04:24 PM
Allstar

Default router for firewall. worth it?

My USRobotics router I left my sister has also died (along with her PC in another thread) and she wants a replacement. My question is, do you think it's worth it just for a single computer, to be behind a cheap $40 NAT firewall router for security? I have my single home computer behind a NAT router just for peace of mind, but sometimes I wonder if it's really all that necessary...

I'm betting that most people just have their computers hooked directly up to their modems. What do you guys have?
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old May 22, 2008, 04:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Best bang for your buck you'll ever spend for internet security AFAIC.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old May 22, 2008, 09:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Agreed. I have a used BEFSR41 from linksys for sale. Used it for a couple years. Works as a great hardware firewall. I'll sell it to you for $20 +shipping :)

FS: Air Mouse, Wirelss Stuff, Routers, HDD, Ram & More!

Edit: I see u are in Van. $20 if u pick up!!

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old May 22, 2008, 11:06 PM
Allstar

Thanks for the offer, but there are a lot of problem reports of that model on the ncix and newegg reviews/forums, and your unit is kind of old. I've been using a cheap d-link ebr 2310 myself and never had any problems with it, so I'm going to pick this one up instead. Also, I need it by tomorrow morning because I have the day off and I don't travel to my parents house often since they live so far away.
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old May 23, 2008, 04:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy001 View Post
Thanks for the offer, but there are a lot of problem reports of that model on the ncix and newegg reviews/forums, and your unit is kind of old. I've been using a cheap d-link ebr 2310 myself and never had any problems with it, so I'm going to pick this one up instead. Also, I need it by tomorrow morning because I have the day off and I don't travel to my parents house often since they live so far away.
I have the same one.... had it since '01... no problems, and 5 PC's; i have 2 PC's directly into it... and a D-Link 8-port switch into it-running 3 more PC's.
Old May 23, 2008, 06:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

I hate running without my router.

I built my own using an old p3 I had lying around.....it runs pfsense 1.2 rc4 ;

--------

I certainly would'nt recommend bsd/linux routers to everyone as there is a steep learning curve ,but having any router is better than nothing.

Routers are very definitly worth it.

Remember MSblaster ? (if you don't , just try connecting a pre-sp2 xp rig to the internet without a router , you'll learn )

Having a router makes virii/trojans/worms of this sort impotent.
Old May 23, 2008, 08:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy001 View Post
NP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Tanker View Post
I have the same one.... had it since '01... no problems, and 5 PC's; i have 2 PC's directly into it... and a D-Link 8-port switch into it-running 3 more PC's.
Agreed. I have no idea what all the problems are but mine works without a hitch. Only reason I am not using it now is because I bought a wireless laptop and needed a wireless router.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old May 23, 2008, 04:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

For me i have had many routers. Here is how i rate them

1. Netgear Prosafe line (there chepaer line is pure crap)
2. D-link
3. Router on a stick (linux firewalls, It's here due to the steep learning curve
4. Linksys

In the past 5 years i have had 3 different routers 2 linksys and one netgear. Both linksys were great when they worked however they both died quite quickly. i bought my netgear and it has been rock solid for 3 years going. how ever if you need wireless you will need buy a prosafe access point as the prosafe routers are business class devices and don't come with wifi. With that said. If you do happen to have a old pc kicking around and don't mind the learning curve the router on a stick is a much more robust and flexible solution. I would recommend either smooth wall express 3 or ipcop. I have had great success with both.

Welcome to Express 3.0! - SmoothWall.org

IPCop.org :: The bad packets stop here!

FVS338 - NETGEAR.com

FVS318 - ProSafe? VPN Firewall 8 w/8 Port 10/100 Switch - NETGEAR.com

FVS114 - ProSafe? VPN Firewall 8 with 4 Port 10/100 Mbps Switch - NETGEAR.com

DGFV338 - ProSafe? 802.11g Wireless ADSL Modem VPN Firewall Router

FWG114P - ProSafe? 802.11g Wireless Firewall w/4 Port 10/ 100 Switch and USB Print Server - NETGEAR.com

WAG102 - ProSafe™ Dual Band Wireless Access Point - NETGEAR.com

WG102 - Prosafe? 802.11g Wireless Access Point - NETGEAR.com

WNDAP330 - ProSafe 802.11n Dual Band Wireless Access Point

Just some links to get you started

Old May 23, 2008, 10:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdguy View Post
For me i have had many routers. Here is how i rate them

1. Netgear Prosafe line (there chepaer line is pure crap)
2. D-link
3. Router on a stick (linux firewalls, It's here due to the steep learning curve
4. Linksys

In the past 5 years i have had 3 different routers 2 linksys and one netgear. Both linksys were great when they worked however they both died quite quickly. i bought my netgear and it has been rock solid for 3 years going. how ever if you need wireless you will need buy a prosafe access point as the prosafe routers are business class devices and don't come with wifi. With that said. If you do happen to have a old pc kicking around and don't mind the learning curve the router on a stick is a much more robust and flexible solution. I would recommend either smooth wall express 3 or ipcop. I have had great success with both.

Welcome to Express 3.0! - SmoothWall.org

IPCop.org :: The bad packets stop here!

FVS338 - NETGEAR.com

FVS318 - ProSafe? VPN Firewall 8 w/8 Port 10/100 Switch - NETGEAR.com

FVS114 - ProSafe? VPN Firewall 8 with 4 Port 10/100 Mbps Switch - NETGEAR.com

DGFV338 - ProSafe? 802.11g Wireless ADSL Modem VPN Firewall Router

FWG114P - ProSafe? 802.11g Wireless Firewall w/4 Port 10/ 100 Switch and USB Print Server - NETGEAR.com

WAG102 - ProSafe™ Dual Band Wireless Access Point - NETGEAR.com

WG102 - Prosafe? 802.11g Wireless Access Point - NETGEAR.com

WNDAP330 - ProSafe 802.11n Dual Band Wireless Access Point

Just some links to get you started
ya that is what I did after I built my system I traded my dell to my sister for her old ibm netvista computer then installed smoothwall 3 on it I have to say that its the best thing I have ever did there are a fair amount of Mods you can add into it for even more security its great
Old May 23, 2008, 11:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

cool. smoothwall is great for someones firt router on a stick project. But once you get used to it. ipcop is a much more robust system. especially when you install cop+ with ipcop makes it crazy featured.