Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Networking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/)
-   -   router for firewall. worth it? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/7372-router-firewall-worth.html)

thenewguy001 May 22, 2008 04:24 PM

router for firewall. worth it?

My USRobotics router I left my sister has also died (along with her PC in another thread) and she wants a replacement. My question is, do you think it's worth it just for a single computer, to be behind a cheap $40 NAT firewall router for security? I have my single home computer behind a NAT router just for peace of mind, but sometimes I wonder if it's really all that necessary...

I'm betting that most people just have their computers hooked directly up to their modems. What do you guys have? :ph34r:

sswilson May 22, 2008 04:44 PM

Best bang for your buck you'll ever spend for internet security AFAIC.

Thund3rball May 22, 2008 09:27 PM

Agreed. I have a used BEFSR41 from linksys for sale. Used it for a couple years. Works as a great hardware firewall. I'll sell it to you for $20 +shipping :)

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...-ram-more.html

Edit: I see u are in Van. $20 if u pick up!!

thenewguy001 May 22, 2008 11:06 PM

Thanks for the offer, but there are a lot of problem reports of that model on the ncix and newegg reviews/forums, and your unit is kind of old. I've been using a cheap d-link ebr 2310 myself and never had any problems with it, so I'm going to pick this one up instead. Also, I need it by tomorrow morning because I have the day off and I don't travel to my parents house often since they live so far away.

1Tanker May 23, 2008 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenewguy001 (Post 59000)
Thanks for the offer, but there are a lot of problem reports of that model on the ncix and newegg reviews/forums, and your unit is kind of old. I've been using a cheap d-link ebr 2310 myself and never had any problems with it, so I'm going to pick this one up instead. Also, I need it by tomorrow morning because I have the day off and I don't travel to my parents house often since they live so far away.

I have the same one.... had it since '01... no problems, and 5 PC's; i have 2 PC's directly into it... and a D-Link 8-port switch into it-running 3 more PC's.:thumb:

BrainEater May 23, 2008 06:44 AM

I hate running without my router.

I built my own using an old p3 I had lying around.....it runs pfsense 1.2 rc4 ;

http://braineater.kicks-ass.tv/MTB/core93.jpg

--------

I certainly would'nt recommend bsd/linux routers to everyone as there is a steep learning curve ,but having any router is better than nothing.

Routers are very definitly worth it.

Remember MSblaster ? (if you don't , just try connecting a pre-sp2 xp rig to the internet without a router , you'll learn :haha: )

Having a router makes virii/trojans/worms of this sort impotent.

Thund3rball May 23, 2008 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenewguy001 (Post 59000)

NP

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Tanker (Post 59009)
I have the same one.... had it since '01... no problems, and 5 PC's; i have 2 PC's directly into it... and a D-Link 8-port switch into it-running 3 more PC's.:thumb:

Agreed. I have no idea what all the problems are but mine works without a hitch. Only reason I am not using it now is because I bought a wireless laptop and needed a wireless router.

lcdguy May 23, 2008 04:49 PM

For me i have had many routers. Here is how i rate them

1. Netgear Prosafe line (there chepaer line is pure crap)
2. D-link
3. Router on a stick (linux firewalls, It's here due to the steep learning curve
4. Linksys

In the past 5 years i have had 3 different routers 2 linksys and one netgear. Both linksys were great when they worked however they both died quite quickly. i bought my netgear and it has been rock solid for 3 years going. how ever if you need wireless you will need buy a prosafe access point as the prosafe routers are business class devices and don't come with wifi. With that said. If you do happen to have a old pc kicking around and don't mind the learning curve the router on a stick is a much more robust and flexible solution. I would recommend either smooth wall express 3 or ipcop. I have had great success with both.

Welcome to Express 3.0! - SmoothWall.org

IPCop.org :: The bad packets stop here!

FVS338 - NETGEAR.com

FVS318 - ProSafe? VPN Firewall 8 w/8 Port 10/100 Switch - NETGEAR.com

FVS114 - ProSafe? VPN Firewall 8 with 4 Port 10/100 Mbps Switch - NETGEAR.com

DGFV338 - ProSafe? 802.11g Wireless ADSL Modem VPN Firewall Router

FWG114P - ProSafe? 802.11g Wireless Firewall w/4 Port 10/ 100 Switch and USB Print Server - NETGEAR.com

WAG102 - ProSafe™ Dual Band Wireless Access Point - NETGEAR.com

WG102 - Prosafe? 802.11g Wireless Access Point - NETGEAR.com

WNDAP330 - ProSafe 802.11n Dual Band Wireless Access Point

Just some links to get you started

Shadowmeph May 23, 2008 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcdguy (Post 59072)
For me i have had many routers. Here is how i rate them

1. Netgear Prosafe line (there chepaer line is pure crap)
2. D-link
3. Router on a stick (linux firewalls, It's here due to the steep learning curve
4. Linksys

In the past 5 years i have had 3 different routers 2 linksys and one netgear. Both linksys were great when they worked however they both died quite quickly. i bought my netgear and it has been rock solid for 3 years going. how ever if you need wireless you will need buy a prosafe access point as the prosafe routers are business class devices and don't come with wifi. With that said. If you do happen to have a old pc kicking around and don't mind the learning curve the router on a stick is a much more robust and flexible solution. I would recommend either smooth wall express 3 or ipcop. I have had great success with both.

Welcome to Express 3.0! - SmoothWall.org

IPCop.org :: The bad packets stop here!

FVS338 - NETGEAR.com

FVS318 - ProSafe? VPN Firewall 8 w/8 Port 10/100 Switch - NETGEAR.com

FVS114 - ProSafe? VPN Firewall 8 with 4 Port 10/100 Mbps Switch - NETGEAR.com

DGFV338 - ProSafe? 802.11g Wireless ADSL Modem VPN Firewall Router

FWG114P - ProSafe? 802.11g Wireless Firewall w/4 Port 10/ 100 Switch and USB Print Server - NETGEAR.com

WAG102 - ProSafe™ Dual Band Wireless Access Point - NETGEAR.com

WG102 - Prosafe? 802.11g Wireless Access Point - NETGEAR.com

WNDAP330 - ProSafe 802.11n Dual Band Wireless Access Point

Just some links to get you started

ya that is what I did after I built my system I traded my dell to my sister for her old ibm netvista computer then installed smoothwall 3 on it I have to say that its the best thing I have ever did there are a fair amount of Mods you can add into it for even more security its great

lcdguy May 23, 2008 11:04 PM

cool. smoothwall is great for someones firt router on a stick project. But once you get used to it. ipcop is a much more robust system. especially when you install cop+ with ipcop makes it crazy featured.