Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 29, 2015, 11:04 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default ASRock G10 Gaming Router Review Comment Thread

The words "ASrock" and "Gaming Router" haven't been used together yet but ASRock's new G10 router should provide gamers with the performance and features they expect.

Read more here: ASRock G10 Gaming Router Review

Thoughts? Too many features for its own good?
Old December 29, 2015, 12:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Seems to be trying to do too much for the first foray. I think they could have nailed down a solid router by itself to get their foot in the door and then throw this monstrosity in. ASRock has always loved weird looks and odd configurations on their motherboards so this isn't far fetched by any means. The Ethernet specs are depressing...but at least it has the specs to brute force the wireless speeds to kinda overcome the internal antennae. Kinda.

On a personal note, no name in wireless ever gave me more grief than Atheros at my last job doing retail computer repair. Haven't really had to deal with them since the Qualcomm acquisition though.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old December 29, 2015, 05:25 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

For the price you could pick up a Mikrotik routerboard (wired version) and a ubiquiti AC access point and enjoy a much more stable and robust setup (in my opinion).
GAMER: Win10 Pro x64, I7 3770K (4.7Ghz) (corsair H110i), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW, Gskill 2 x 8 GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, Mx 500 SSD, HX750W, Sound blaster Z, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old December 29, 2015, 06:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Obviously it's too early to say, but I can't help but suspect this might end up being a one-product venture into the router market and Asrock will probably decide not to continue after poor sales. Without a real standout and stellar product, I don't think Asrock has the brand recognition to draw enough people to decide 'I really want to look into Asrock's router'. Whereas a Corsair, EVGA or ASUS might pull it off due to a larger brand-recognition and brand-loyalty base. Asrock's not a 'C' level company that you rarely hear of, like say a Powercolor, but their not up their with the major names (or so it seems to me).

If I had to guess, I'd say this will be like Sapphire's singular entry into the component motherboard market. One try and then a fade away.
Old December 30, 2015, 11:19 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

You may be right but it all depends on how well they end up supporting it. This thing seems to be selling reasonably well on Newegg and Amazon.
Old December 31, 2015, 09:01 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

What the heck is wrong with that UI of theirs? It's hideous... It really does feel like early 2000 graphics on that thing. And Ethernet performance are poor? That's the last thing I want to read about when it comes to a router that's supposed "gaming" related... It was looking for some actual good Ethernet ports...

I still have my D-link router that's still alive and kicking but afterwards, I'll just get a Mikrotik with an AP to attach to it lol. It's almost as strange as the Netduma (aka Mikrotik but with a different firmware) but meh.