Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 12, 2015, 07:28 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Linksys EA9200 Tri-Band Router Review Comment Thread

Linksys' EA9200 is a unique tri-band router with the capability for dual wireless AC 1300 connections and a single Wireless-N stream. If anything, this is an extremely forward thinking device.

Read more here: Linksys EA9200 Tri-Band Router Review
Old March 13, 2015, 07:35 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Nice and thorough review...was a good read with lots of pretty graphs and UI screenshots!

But am I the only one wondering why people are buying this? For $300? I suppose for those who know nothing about networking or don't want to take on a project this is a nice solution.

But for that price you can build a nice mITX system using an AMD SoC or similar, buy a dual-nic mini PC, or use an old pc (bad for power, etc of course) and install pfSense or Untangle or...anything! You have more granular control than any of these Linksys or Asus or custom firmwares.

If you really need zero sound and extensive options...Ubiquiti has the Edge Router Lite for $109(http://ubnt.ca/edgemax/61-edgerouter-lite.html) ...pair that with the Unifi AP for $90 (UniFi AP Long Range - UBNT.ca) or if you need dual-band...upgrade to the Pro AC model (ok now we're more than the EA9200) or buy a reasonably priced dual/whatever band consumer router and use in AP mode. All delivering SMB class networks that I have deployed before - rock solid.
Old March 13, 2015, 08:39 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I have an unifi ap. Works perfectly. Never had a drop or disconnect. The only thing is I dont really like running the controller on my pc, and if it isnt running it doesnt keep any stats. I also had the edgerouter lite and it had a lot of issues with upnp when running multiple xbox's at one time. Onbe would work perfectly and one would be able to connect properly.

I recently bought the Asus RT-AC3200 because I have a lot of devices in my home. It has a lot of nice features. But the disconnects are quite frequent, even with smart connect turned off.
Heatware
Old March 13, 2015, 09:07 AM
MVP

Amazing review, looks like a lot of potential here too.

I have the WRT1900AC, and I'm perfectly fine with it as my 3 device Media Prioritization group is all I needed and it works great!

This EA9200 has a Broadcom chipset, so perhaps 3rd party firmware (if that's your desire) will be developed a lot more quickly too.
Old March 18, 2015, 07:52 AM
Rookie

Awesome review! I just have one question about the USB 3.0 performance....

What Firmware did you guys use for this review? I know there is a new firmware for the EA9200 (Ver.1.1.5 Build 164615). and the big promise behind this firmware is "Better USB performance".
Old March 18, 2015, 08:47 AM

We used Build 164615.
Old March 18, 2015, 01:25 PM
Rookie

Thank you sir! You may want to update one of the images in page 4 since it's showing another firmware version: http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/im...menu_con_1.jpg

On the other side I guess it would be nice (for other readers) to have this information included as part of the review.

Last edited by BattleRaT; March 18, 2015 at 01:33 PM.
Old March 18, 2015, 06:16 PM

We will make sure to look at adding it in the future.