Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 1, 2015, 10:14 PM
Top Prospect

Default fiber hybrid internet

Hello guys, i recently upgraded my internet from highspeed cable internet coaxial connection to a fiber hybrid Internet coaxial connection.The internet works but randomly stops working and i have to reset the modem several times to get it working again.The technicians came and just changed my modem .my network is the cable hybrid modem hooked up to my wifi belkin router.i have 2 wired devices and 2 wifi connected devices .I reset the router to factory default but the same problem arises.
My isp had me connect the modem directly to my pc which works narrowing the problem to my router but my router is only a few years old and worked flawlessly until the upgrades . I had the technician replace the modem which worked for a week but just now started malfunctioning. They are trying to sell me their router but im convinced my router isnt the problem and they are just trying to get more money out of me. What do you think i should do.?
Thanks for your time!
Dan.

Last edited by danmitch1; March 2, 2015 at 05:10 AM.
Old March 2, 2015, 05:30 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Which ISP are you using? It sounds like issues some folks were having with some of Acanac's modems.

Also, which modem is it?
Old March 2, 2015, 06:28 AM
Top Prospect

OP, D-Link router ?
Old March 2, 2015, 08:27 AM
Top Prospect

Thanks for the replies guys.
My isp is videotron , im not at home so im not sure what modem it is. I have my phone line going through it as well .I think its made by arris but ill confirm when i get home. Its a belkin N Wireless Router Part # F5D8236-4 .
Old March 2, 2015, 08:42 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Do you have Videotron VOIP as well?
Old March 2, 2015, 10:17 AM
Top Prospect

Yup, that works fine while the internet is down.
Old March 2, 2015, 11:32 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Assuming Videotron does it anything like Rogers that Arris box should just be your internet phone modem/ATA.

If Videotron is a little more advance then Rogers you might have this Arris modem.

Bypassing your Router and seeing if you have a connection is a great way for tech support to get you off the phone. It doesn't really do anything to help solve an intermittent problem though.
If the connection is stable with the router bypassed then that does point to your router as the culprit.

The Belkin F5D8236-4 is about a 6 year old design, it is possible with your new higher speed it is choking.

By the way your switch from "highspeed cable internet coaxial connection to a fiber hybrid Internet coaxial connection" is just fancy marketing jargon to say you switched from a DOCSIS 2 to a DOCSIS 3 modem.
Old March 2, 2015, 01:25 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rye 1080 View Post
Assuming Videotron does it anything like Rogers that Arris box should just be your internet phone modem/ATA.

If Videotron is a little more advance then Rogers you might have this Arris modem.

Bypassing your Router and seeing if you have a connection is a great way for tech support to get you off the phone. It doesn't really do anything to help solve an intermittent problem though.
If the connection is stable with the router bypassed then that does point to your router as the culprit.

The Belkin F5D8236-4 is about a 6 year old design, it is possible with your new higher speed it is choking.

By the way your switch from "highspeed cable internet coaxial connection to a fiber hybrid Internet coaxial connection" is just fancy marketing jargon to say you switched from a DOCSIS 2 to a DOCSIS 3 modem.
Strongly agree, I work at Teksavvy and we always suggest our customers to plug in a PC directly into the modem to make sure that the router wouldn't cause any issues while reading out some line stats or testing out to see if it works. After all if you get a solid internet connection directly from the modem then the router is at fault here. Or it could also be the Ethernet cord that's not working properly.
Old March 2, 2015, 03:27 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks for all the replies,
Finally the modem is in fact by Arris TM822.
Yeah they didn't want to help me past the direct connection to the pc because the router wasn't their equipment .
I bought that router with a laptop from dell 3 years ago, figures..only dell would sell me old gear...
The router is supposed to support 100mbs no? My new connection is only 30mbs so shouldn't the router handle it no problem?The router worked flawlessly before the upgrade..
Yeah i was wondering how they fit fiber optic traffic into a coaxial cable ...definitely marketing .
I tried 2 previously working Ethernet cables and the tech guy also brought a new one.
Old March 2, 2015, 03:37 PM
F@H

My System Specs

What was your previous Internet speed?

While the ports on the router may be 100Mbps, the issue is the actual routing performance within. It could be the simple fact that your router is running at full load on the CPU and RAM (router's are very much like PCs). That would make it seem like your Internet was "down" but it really isn't.

That router was one of the most basic Belkin routers at it's time as well.