Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 22, 2014, 08:24 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Stand alone local VNC server accessed through wireless hotspot?

Not completely sure how to explain this and it probably borders on 2 or 3 complimentary programs/apps but here goes on the off chance that somebody knows exactly what I'm talking about and has either a solution or can at the very least point me in the right direction. :)

Basically I'd like to run my mITX HTPC without a monitor by using a tablet (got that part so far both local network and internet connected using teamplayer for internet connected and realvnc for local), but the fly in the ointment is that I'd also like for the connectivity to be completely stand-alone with the ability of my android tablet to connect directly to the PC without any local network requirements.

I know I could just pick up one of those small travel routers, but that would kinda defeat the idea of not wanting to carry extra gear. Should I be looking at a wireless hotspot setup maybe? Would that replicate a router's DHCP functions and provide a fixed IP for an android vnc remote viewer to connect to? Maybe a VM for the hotspot?

Anywise... Just something I'm playing with. If you've got any ideas throw them out. :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 22, 2014, 08:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

SO are you just going to use the htpc for your tablet? or am I missing something, also are you using teamviewer? I am not sure how this could be done with out a router or some type of networking .I actually think that I am missing something.
Old August 22, 2014, 09:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Not completely sure how to explain this and it probably borders on 2 or 3 complimentary programs/apps but here goes on the off chance that somebody knows exactly what I'm talking about and has either a solution or can at the very least point me in the right direction. :)

Basically I'd like to run my mITX HTPC without a monitor by using a tablet (got that part so far both local network and internet connected using teamplayer for internet connected and realvnc for local), but the fly in the ointment is that I'd also like for the connectivity to be completely stand-alone with the ability of my android tablet to connect directly to the PC without any local network requirements.

I know I could just pick up one of those small travel routers, but that would kinda defeat the idea of not wanting to carry extra gear. Should I be looking at a wireless hotspot setup maybe? Would that replicate a router's DHCP functions and provide a fixed IP for an android vnc remote viewer to connect to? Maybe a VM for the hotspot?

Anywise... Just something I'm playing with. If you've got any ideas throw them out. :)
If the HTPC is standalone and not on a network yes you'll need some form of a router or switch. A cheap wireeless router would be the easiest as you could just setup the tablet to run off the same network as the HTPC
Old August 22, 2014, 09:06 AM
F@H

My System Specs

The core function I'm looking at doing is to use my android tablet as a stand-alone monitor for the htpc while traveling. Control isn't really an issue as I'd still have my logitech HTPC keyboard/touchpad, but I want to be able to see the screen without having to lug around a monitor.

I've been able to do that with both teamviewer and realvnc but both of those servers require some form of external network support to be in place to facilitate connection (either over the internet via teamviewer or via local ip handed out by router's dhcp for the vnc). I'd like to find some way to do away with any kind of external network support and figure out a way to have the PC generate it's own static IP that the remote viewer could connect to.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
If the HTPC is standalone and not on a network yes you'll need some form of a router or switch. A cheap wireeless router would be the easiest as you could just setup the tablet to run off the same network as the HTPC
That would be the easy way out though.... there must be a way to set up some kind of ad hoc network on the PC that would be able to hand out a static IP. :)

edit #2 Adding to this... microsoft has apparently removed easy ad hoc network functionality from windows 8 which takes away that particular route.

edit #3 Also wanted to add that any solution would have to be able to run as a service in order to allow remote connection to the PC prior to windows login. :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Last edited by sswilson; August 22, 2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old August 22, 2014, 09:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

Get a wireless usb adapter from Asus or such and create the Ad-HOC network. Most wireless adapters are capable of doing this now.
Old August 22, 2014, 09:11 AM
F@H

My System Specs

From what I gather, you want to watch content from your PC on your Android device while on the go?

You really should just install Plex if that's what you want. Run Plex on the PC and install the Plex App on your device(s). If you buy Plex Pass, the apps are free, otherwise you'll have to buy each app per OS/account.
Old August 22, 2014, 09:21 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Get a wireless usb adapter from Asus or such and create the Ad-HOC network. Most wireless adapters are capable of doing this now.
Hrmmmm... now there's a possibility. The mini-pcie intel on this doesn't appear to have that option (or I haven't found it) but I've got a decent USB wireless N device kicking around so maybe that will have the option. As I stated above, microsoft appears to have removed ad hoc network functionality from win 8 so maybe the card makers will have a program/app for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
From what I gather, you want to watch content from your PC on your Android device while on the go?

You really should just install Plex if that's what you want. Run Plex on the PC and install the Plex App on your device(s). If you buy Plex Pass, the apps are free, otherwise you'll have to buy each app per OS/account.
It's mostly about playing/controlling audio content, but I'd also like to have some kind of general use thus I'm looking for something that will replace the monitor as opposed to a stand-alone content application like plex.

I don't "need" this... it's more of just wanting to see if a particular thing can be done... if it was a function I really needed to do it'd be as simple as picking up one of those small travel routers and setting it up to hand out a static IP to the mITX rig.

Old August 23, 2014, 12:32 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
The core function I'm looking at doing is to use my android tablet as a stand-alone monitor for the htpc while traveling. Control isn't really an issue as I'd still have my logitech HTPC keyboard/touchpad, but I want to be able to see the screen without having to lug around a monitor.

I've been able to do that with both teamviewer and realvnc but both of those servers require some form of external network support to be in place to facilitate connection (either over the internet via teamviewer or via local ip handed out by router's dhcp for the vnc). I'd like to find some way to do away with any kind of external network support and figure out a way to have the PC generate it's own static IP that the remote viewer could connect to.

edit:

That would be the easy way out though.... there must be a way to set up some kind of ad hoc network on the PC that would be able to hand out a static IP. :)

edit #2 Adding to this... microsoft has apparently removed easy ad hoc network functionality from windows 8 which takes away that particular route.

edit #3 Also wanted to add that any solution would have to be able to run as a service in order to allow remote connection to the PC prior to windows login. :)
I'm not sure I understand, are you trying to have your HTPC available externally but without routing through your external IP assigned by your ISP ? or are you just trying to assign your HTPC a private static ip that is not routable (192.168.x.x) without relying on a router inside your LAN. If it's the latter you could set up virtual box and spin a linux guest and configure that as your DHCP/DNS server. See this thread that I found a little dated but I think it's what your looking for:

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53235
Old August 23, 2014, 02:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by guilly View Post
I'm not sure I understand, are you trying to have your HTPC available externally but without routing through your external IP assigned by your ISP ? or are you just trying to assign your HTPC a private static ip that is not routable (192.168.x.x) without relying on a router inside your LAN. If it's the latter you could set up virtual box and spin a linux guest and configure that as your DHCP/DNS server. See this thread that I found a little dated but I think it's what your looking for:

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53235
I suspect that's the direction any solution is going to take. Set up a "router" inside a VM that the PC can connect to internally and the tablet can connect to via wireless. Going to give that a shot sometime over the next week.

This is all mostly academic. I don't really need to do it, and the simple solution is just to use a router, but it's an interesting puzzle. :)

Thanks for the input.

Old September 1, 2014, 04:30 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default wifi share and ap software?

hmmm.... I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish but I have used this before and it works pretty well making a "virtual router". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTgS...tailpage#t=164

See the entire video for more info/options about this free software.

also: Virtual router Virtual Router - Wifi Hot Spot for Windows 8, Windows 7 and 2008 R2 - Home