Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 15, 2014, 01:25 PM
Rookie

Default What to do with an ASUS RTN16

Hi

My ISP is Bell-Aliant FibreOp and have their supplied Actiontec R1000H router. I also subscribe to a VPN service(ivpn.net) that offers the nice feature of being able to select different VPN servers for any device via software. When contemplating getting rid of my old tv and getting a smart tv (or new tv and a roku) I jumped the gun and bought an ASUS RTN16. My plan was to flash the ASUS with tomato, set it up for IVPN and use it solely for the wired LAN to the smart tv/roku. I was going to cascade it LAN to WAN, from the Actiontec.

I have since decided that smart tv's and rokus etc are crap(to me) and to stick with what I was previously doing, use a laptop to tv cable(presently s-video, in future hdmi) for periodic large screen streaming of netflix, and stick with OTA to get the three local channels.

All this rambling to ask what to do with the ASUS router? Let's say I cascade it LAN to WAN from the Actiontec, and then use the ASUS for my wired and wireless connections. Would there be any benefit to doing this? Or would the Actiontec still be a bottleneck? Does the ASUS have better wireless?

Or do I just Kijiji the ASUS?
Old August 15, 2014, 03:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

what's your plan to cover the whole home with wifi or another lan

shame they yanked HPE10000-02 Ethernet to Coax HPNA Adapter bridges the gap between different networking types (ethernet and coax cabling) commonly seen in homes with satellite TV. This connector allows high-bandwidth content driven by new applications into a commonly used format enjoyed by most consumers. The HCB1000 is strong enough to handle any transfer load and is optimized to provide high-speed delivery of video and VoIP data. This product is easy to install and provides a perfect solution for any residential and small-office networking need
Old August 15, 2014, 03:11 PM
Rookie

Plan? There is no plan... I have one PC plugged into the Actiontec router LAN, and there are three wireless devices in house. The wifi signal is not great but does the job most of the time. My question is whether using the ASUS router as described would have any benefit at all. I suspect not and that I have bought myself a new paperweight.
Old August 15, 2014, 04:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

yes you can use it, just place where other drops off

wifi coverage will be better linked with wire

also clone to your isp .pdf
Old August 15, 2014, 10:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you can run a wire to highest point in the house place the RT-N16 there.

Most central to the structure is better. You should get better signal.
Old August 17, 2014, 04:47 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the advice. Drop off is not too bad for me so I think I will try to RMA it. Newegg seems to have a decent return policy.

If any of you living in Halifax wants it I'd sell for $75 dollars if you come get it. $25 less than I paid on Newegg. Would save me the hassle of mailing it back...

EDIT. Offer expired. I have RMA'd.

Last edited by MrPeanut; Yesterday at 04:53 PM.

Tags
cascade , router