Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 9, 2014, 07:59 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Linksys WRT1900AC Router Review Comment Thread

The Linksys WRT1900AC router is considered a 802.11AC-based spiritual successor to the wildly popular WRT54G so there are some very high expectations riding on it.

Read more here: Linksys WRT1900AC Router Review

Old July 10, 2014, 06:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Seems like a pretty good router that you wouldn't go wrong in purchasing. My biggest issue with it is pricing. In my mind the positives and negatives in the various tests basically balance it out with the ASUS, but the higher price would remove it from my purchase list. If its pricing comes down, or they can sort out the negatives it does have through firmware, then the price is somewhat justified IMO.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old July 10, 2014, 07:11 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Any comparisons to something like a Ubiquiti or Egenius wifi access point? More and more power users are skipping the consumer stuff and going to more dedicated products. I am running a Mikrotik router with a Ubiquiti wifi access point (just a N version, no AC) so I would be curious to see if this can compete considering it cost me less for my setup then this router. I am getting the AC Ubiquiti next (which costs as much as this) so a comparison would be nice in the future.
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old July 10, 2014, 08:49 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I have to agree. Building something for everyone rarely pleases the "everyone" part of that equation.
Old July 10, 2014, 10:31 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
Seems like a pretty good router that you wouldn't go wrong in purchasing. My biggest issue with it is pricing. In my mind the positives and negatives in the various tests basically balance it out with the ASUS, but the higher price would remove it from my purchase list. If its pricing comes down, or they can sort out the negatives it does have through firmware, then the price is somewhat justified IMO.
Yeah I'd agree with this assessment. It's hard to justify the premium pricing. It doesn't have anything radically better that revolutionizes routers, it's just an incremental bump but with a huge price increase.

The other reason is AC1900 is mostly a waste of money itself. See here:
AC1900: Innovation or 3D Wi-Fi? - SmallNetBuilder

I generally don't recommend buying the latest router (better odds of good third party firmware and if there's any issues, the long term owners will flag them), unless you get a really good deal.
Old July 11, 2014, 05:49 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varroa View Post
Any comparisons to something like a Ubiquiti or Egenius wifi access point? More and more power users are skipping the consumer stuff and going to more dedicated products. I am running a Mikrotik router with a Ubiquiti wifi access point (just a N version, no AC) so I would be curious to see if this can compete considering it cost me less for my setup then this router. I am getting the AC Ubiquiti next (which costs as much as this) so a comparison would be nice in the future.
I was thinking this as I read it... actually the Ubiquiti AP are not even complicated to setup, they almost think to much for you.

I was glad to see a heat sink and a fan on consumer product.... I wished more routers had a heat sink on them, it would improve their stability a lot and cost 20 cents.
Old July 11, 2014, 11:42 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzzSleep View Post
Yeah I'd agree with this assessment. It's hard to justify the premium pricing. It doesn't have anything radically better that revolutionizes routers, it's just an incremental bump but with a huge price increase.

The other reason is AC1900 is mostly a waste of money itself. See here:
AC1900: Innovation or 3D Wi-Fi? - SmallNetBuilder

I generally don't recommend buying the latest router (better odds of good third party firmware and if there's any issues, the long term owners will flag them), unless you get a really good deal.
Have to agree. My router purchases are usually guided by 3rd party firmware compatibility first. I just can't wrap my dead around the asking price for this unit when there are a number of less pricey units which perform fantastically when paired 3rd party firmware such as Tomato, DD-WRT, OpenWRT and others.

Still this router would not exist if there wasn't a market for it. For the average SOHO & home user though, I just don't see it.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z (1866MhZ CAS9)
NZXT Kraken X60 CPU Cooler
2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
Seagate 7200.12 500gig HD
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Antec TruPower New 750W Power Supply