Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 19, 2014, 01:13 PM
Rookie

Default Security Cameras

I have new build home and I so far installed Cat5E for security cameras ( 3 Locations indoor) and I dropped the wires to the basement. I also in future want to run 2 lines to outside as well.

I have never purchased or have experience with a camera security system.

What is the specs I should be looking for a camera?

I need some suggestions on Cat5E cameras. The location that I ran cable don't have power outlets near by.
I want a clean look.
What are my options.

I need help
Old February 19, 2014, 01:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

look for PoE cameras and this way you won't have to worry about power to the cameras themselves.
Old February 19, 2014, 04:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I've had a D-Link DCS2310L since late-summer 2013. It's survived the winter fine thus far with no apparent issues with ice/frost buildup.

The night vision isn't the greatest, but you can see figures for sure. Thankfully I do have a street light in front of my house though so that helps with illumination.

Camera: D-Link | DCS-2310L Outdoor PoE HD Day/Night Network Camera
PoE Injector: TL-POE150S - Welcome to TP-LINK

No issues to report really. I ended up going with recording video to my server (camera supports SAMBA) so I have it setup to keeps 3 days worth of 24/7 video in 50MB chucks (about 1m20s). It organizes it in folders by the hour and the files are of course time-stamped. Should anything happen, I just look through the video files as needed. When it hits the storage cap of 20GB, it starts overwriting the oldest files.

I opted for the above since I couldn't quite get motion detection setup just right. I imagine if I persisted and kept tinkering with the settings I would of found the ideal config, but couldn't be bothered. I'd end up with video/snapshots on windy days when the stuff in the garden moved. It would also capture the shadows moving as the sun progressed.

Thankfully, I've only had to actually review the footage a few times so it hasn't been a huge burden. I mostly use it during the day via Live View to see when delivery people come so I can make it to the door before they do

And for reference, the camera is mounted to the front of the house, and from where the picture cuts off to the front of the house is roughly 3.5 feet. The black beam you see along the driveway is basically in line with the camera. The camera is angled downwards and to the right slightly.

The PoE injector has worked fine too, I was slightly concerned as it was so cheap, but so far no issues.

I've attached 2 example shots from it.

In your case, since you want to run so many cameras, I'd suggest you pickup a PoE switch instead, so you can run all the cameras off that. Like this: GS108PE or GS110TP
Attached Images

Old February 21, 2014, 06:16 AM
Rookie

Thanks for that great information.

I have very little networking experience.......here we go.

How and/ equipment needed to setup your system.

Patch panel, do you need two of these? one for cameras and one for the (TV computers, printer).

Help me out.
Old March 30, 2014, 09:53 PM
Rookie

Not running POE myself, however, I do run a few cams around my property.

Got Mr. Liability crawling through the reno bin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCTA5QHbUB8

Neighbors Honda getting hit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dWG2SkdLzM

Got tons of pictures (stills) of people checking if doors are locked. lol

Cams are certainly nice to have. They are however a pain IMO. Wire running is awful and i have owned Lorex and QSEE, both of which I believe are junky.
Old March 31, 2014, 05:10 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastone7 View Post
Patch panel, do you need two of these? one for cameras and one for the (TV computers, printer).
No need for any patch panels, just plug directly into your router/switch. Patch panels really only help with organization so you know what port goes to what endpoint. In a home, I don't think that really matters since once you get everything hooked up, it's unlikely you'll ever change it.

And just to clarify, patch panels are simply just a jack. It serves no routing/switching capabilities, you need to terminate each port in the patch panel into your switch/router.