Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 14, 2014, 09:20 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Wiring New House. Need Network Advice.

Cheers all!

I live down here in the States in St. Louis. My internet provider is AT&T, and I have their Uverse product which is internet, IPTV, and VoIP (if you order it) all in one. Now apparently the IPTV service uses IGMPv3 to stream video to the set top boxes and in my old house this cause quite a bit of problems for me with IGMP multicast floods causing streaming video and file transfers to slow to a craw.

I've recently moved into a new home and I'm building out my new network. My overall goal is to move all Uverse Multicast IPTV traffic to its own broadcast domain and secure my internal network against IGMP packet floods. I'm also looking to create a private and public WiFi access point using multiple SSID's in order to secure my LAN against unknown traffic from friends. Who knows where they're laptops have been!

First, my list of equipment.

Uverse Equipment
1x Pace Uverse Residential Gateway
1x Uverse DVR
2x Uverse STB's
2x Uverse Wireless STB's
1x Uverse Wireless IPTV transmitter

Computer Equipment
1x Windows Based Desktop
1x Mac iMac
1x Dell Color Laser Printer
1x QNAP TS-421 NAS w/ dual Ethernet connections

Media Devices
1x PS3
1x X-Box 360
3x Western Digital TV Live! Media Players
1x Oppo BluRay Player
1x LG BluRay Player
1x Panasonic SmartTV

So there's the list of devices I want to connect. My overall goals are to prevent IGMP traffic flooding on my LAN, distribute HD Video from my NAS to the Western Digital TV Live boxes, and to create a WiFi hot spot for my friends isolated from my LAN.

Here's the equipment I'm considering.

Netgear JGS524E Switch
Netgear WNR3500L-100NAS Wireless Router

My idea was to create two additional VLAN's beyond the Native. VLAN 10 and 20 for simplicity sake and disable wireless on the residential gateway.

VLAN 10 would be used only for the Uverse IGMP traffic and have nothing but the Uverse STB's and the Uverse Wireless IPTV adapter connected to it. This would have an Ethernet backhaul to the residential gateway.

VLAN 20 would be used for local area network traffic. This would allow me to create a separate broadcast domain for the DLNA network traffic from the NAS to the WD TV Live boxes and allow HD video streaming.

Connected between VLAN 20 on the switch and the residential gateway would be the Netgear WNR3500L router. This router would have two SSID's. SSID Alpha would be used for my personal use and SSID Beta would be used as a guest WiFi hotspot. This should allow me to connect to VLAN 20 wirelessly without getting hit with the IGMP multicast as well as allow guests to connect only to the residential gateway without being able to access VLAN 20.

Is this design solid? Am I missing anything?
Old February 14, 2014, 12:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

cable your missing

go with cat6 STP in the walls to future proof
Old February 14, 2014, 12:13 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Yeah, I have a 1000ft spool of plenum rated CAT6 along with connectors to go with it.
Old February 14, 2014, 01:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

Plenum cable: plastics used in the construction of plenum cable are regulated under the National Fire Protection Association standard NFPA 90A: Standard for the Installation of Air Conditioning and Ventilating Systems. All materials intended for use on wire and cables to be placed in plenum spaces are designed to meet rigorous fire safety test standards in accordance with NFPA 262 and outlined in NFPA 90A.

means nothing to EMF/EMI radio interference its just fire regulated cable

Last edited by KaptCrunch; February 14, 2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old February 15, 2014, 05:57 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

You're right about that. It's CAT6 UTP Plenum grade wire. STP would have tripled my cost unfortunatly. But I completely understand what you're saying. If I were in a more urban enviroment rather than the suburbs I would have definatly done STP. Probably CAT5E STP.
Old February 15, 2014, 06:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

a box of 1000' net cable

Model: STP CZSTP-CAT6-R $164.95 CDN

Model: UTP CZ-CAT6-10R $119.95 CDN

I see $45 more
Old February 15, 2014, 06:43 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Well, I'm in the States for one unfortunatly. Let me double check the cable I have on my end. I'm pretty sure I was right when I said it was CAT6 UTP Plenum. I may be wrong. The problem is I've already used about 30ft off the spool so I can't take it back.
Old February 15, 2014, 11:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippman View Post
Well, I'm in the States for one unfortunatly. Let me double check the cable I have on my end. I'm pretty sure I was right when I said it was CAT6 UTP Plenum. I may be wrong. The problem is I've already used about 30ft off the spool so I can't take it back.

try craiglist to sell or ask your supplier if would take back and make-up the difference
Old February 15, 2014, 11:24 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I don't see why you need STP in a house though, unless you're living under a power field or something. Just don't wrap it around any electrical wiring in your house and you should be fine.

My only suggestion would be to up the router somewhat. I personally would recommend the ASUS RT-N66U, RT-AC66U or RT-AC68U. These all are capable of running Tomato firmware as well if you need additional features. All those models have high routing throughput as well as some of the best wireless coverage.

I'm not sure about ATT Uverse, but are you sure they allow you to run your own switches with VLANs and your own router? Sounds like you'll be in for issues if you ever call in for support.
Old February 15, 2014, 01:24 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I work here so I "AM" my support. ;)