Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 15, 2014, 01:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Ignore the STP. As long as you are not running your cables parallel to 120V AC and within 6 inches, you're fine. If you have to cross a 120V line, do so at right angles.

As for the internal network setup, that's way over my head. That router says it sniffs IGMP traffic and keeps it off the connections that don't require it, so maybe the VLAN's aren't required?
Old February 19, 2014, 11:19 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I finally checked the box. Looks like it wasn't plenum rated after all, but that really shouldn't matter.

Binary™ Cables Cat 6 550MHz Unshielded 23/4 Solid .57mm CMG-Rated Wire

I ran 4 runs Monday. Two from the wiring closet on the first floor to the A/V rack in my home theater, one for the Uverse STB, one for data. One from the wiring closet to the wall where my NID is to be fished outside for my homerun. And one from the wiring closet to my garage where my PC work bench is. All in all I ran about 300ft of wire I'd guess.

Next Monday I plan to run one run to my home office, two runs to my bedroom (one for Uverse, one for data), and one to my fiance's craft room for her iMac. I may not do that last one as the iMac does support 802.11ac which should be fast enough.
Old February 19, 2014, 11:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Do the runs now. Drilling and fishing can be a lot less fun. I hate drywall dust.
Old February 19, 2014, 12:05 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Oh, the house isn't being built. I just moved into it. This is all retrofit work, hence why it's taking so bloody long.
Old February 19, 2014, 12:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You don't need plenum unless you are running inside furnace ducts. And 802.11ac is fast enough to stream 1080P, so unless you are copying a lot of stuff to and from the iMac I wouldn't bother.
Old March 4, 2014, 09:57 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I finally got to sketching out my network. Any problems you guys see?

Old March 20, 2014, 02:46 PM
Rookie

I wouldn't run your IPTV off a switch that has other traffic, (even if they're on separate vLAN) however if your going to be running wire I would suggest wiring your 2505 and not using the WAP. (or getting them swapped for 2202)
That will free up the 5GHZ band for wireless N and AC.

Depending on the size of the house I would also suggest the UniFi AP AC with Zero Handoff set up.
Old March 21, 2014, 07:01 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAndyCook View Post
I wouldn't run your IPTV off a switch that has other traffic, (even if they're on separate vLAN) however if your going to be running wire I would suggest wiring your 2505 and not using the WAP. (or getting them swapped for 2202)
That will free up the 5GHZ band for wireless N and AC.

Depending on the size of the house I would also suggest the UniFi AP AC with Zero Handoff set up.

Uhm, what? You've totally lost me here.

Can you give me a compelling reason NOT to run the IPTV traffic through my switch? It has IMGPv3 snooping which should keep the IPTV traffic to it's isolated VLAN, can handle 48gbps throughput, and the private LAN will be sitting behind a seperate router which should keep the IGMP multicast domain isolated and away from my "LAN." So you've lost me on not running that through the switch.

I have no Wireless bridging on the network. Unless you're refering to the bridge for my wireless IPTV STB's. I have an 802.11AC Netgear 6300. That's going to run dual SSID's. One for my private use, and one for guests.

Also what 2505?
Old March 21, 2014, 09:12 AM
Rookie

I have not seen Ericsson/Microsoft's Mediaroom preform as stable behind any equipment. Of course it will work and likely be very stable, but I would not recommend it.

Also, typo'd there, meant to write 2502. However there they name it the ISB7005 there. (refering to the wireless receiver)
Old March 21, 2014, 10:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

cisco 2202 cable router for phones rj11, rj45

2505 cable router rj45

note its only 100meg transfer for these modems 2006 standard