Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 12, 2014, 10:21 PM
Top Prospect

Default Windows 7 Not Sharing with WD TV Live

Hey Everyone,

I recently installed an SSD and reformatted my old and tired Computer to Windows 7 64bit Pro. I use a WD TV Live to watch movies, TV shows, and listen to music in my apartment. It's been a great setup and saved me the costs of having to build a small HTPC computer (Even though I do miss having a browser on the TV).

When I was on XP, sharing the files and having my WD box see them was fairly easy. Right click, share, read/write, done.

On Windows 7, I have been into the depths of sharing and security settings that few people have seen, and I still can't get my WD box to see my shared folders. I've read pages of guides, all claiming the previous one missed something and that they had it right. Nothing is working. Without cable, I can't really entertain myself, let alone guests without this connection. Just to clarify, the WD box has internet, via WD Powerline system, and the Netflix and Youtube apps work, it just won't see the files.

If I had to give you a place to start, lets say you just installed Windows 7 64bit Pro, and everything is at default. The Folders you are sharing at on a secondary drive (WD 2TB Green). This same setup worked before (Files on 2TB Green, OS on 1 TB Black).

Any help is would be appreciated!
Old February 12, 2014, 10:52 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Try setting your computer to a Work network, rather than a Homegroup. Homegroup is visible between Windows computers only, Work network is visible to all.
Old February 13, 2014, 07:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Assuming that DLNA streaming works with the WD box I suspect you're looking in the wrong place......

Control panel/network and Sharing Center/Media streaming options

With any luck you'll see the WD box in this list and just be able to "Allow All". AFAIK this works outside of Homegroup and doesn't require network sharing options.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old February 13, 2014, 07:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

sheep you Got current firmware

WD Product Update
Old February 13, 2014, 08:19 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

I had a similar problem. It refused to see any shares on my file server. I eventually gave up on that and used a workaround: I attached a 1TB drive via one of usb ports then set a DHCP reservation for the WDTVLive box. From the file server i can remotely connect to the WD box and copy content over to the drive. On the file server i run continuous ping to the WD box so that it wakes up then i can browse to the drive like a regular share.
(\\WDTVLive_IP\)

I connected the WD via wireless, so copying content takes a while but i usually leave it overnight. If i need to get something onto it immediately i just connect the drive to my machine directly and copy that way.
Old February 13, 2014, 11:48 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Try setting your computer to a Work network, rather than a Homegroup. Homegroup is visible between Windows computers only, Work network is visible to all.
I will try this out and report back, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Assuming that DLNA streaming works with the WD box I suspect you're looking in the wrong place......

Control panel/network and Sharing Center/Media streaming options

With any luck you'll see the WD box in this list and just be able to "Allow All". AFAIK this works outside of Homegroup and doesn't require network sharing options.
See I went through a youtube tutorial and he said to disable it, saying it caused a problem. Now, I'm not the smartest when it comes to software, but disabling it didn't seem to make sense. I have since then changed a few other settings, so I will switch it back and see if it's works. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
sheep you Got current firmware

WD Product Update
I haven't been prompted by the box (does it automatically) but I will re-check. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus2002 View Post
I had a similar problem. It refused to see any shares on my file server. I eventually gave up on that and used a workaround: I attached a 1TB drive via one of usb ports then set a DHCP reservation for the WDTVLive box. From the file server i can remotely connect to the WD box and copy content over to the drive. On the file server i run continuous ping to the WD box so that it wakes up then i can browse to the drive like a regular share.
(\\WDTVLive_IP\)

I connected the WD via wireless, so copying content takes a while but i usually leave it overnight. If i need to get something onto it immediately i just connect the drive to my machine directly and copy that way.
Interesting solution, unfortunately not how I want to go about this. If I had to do this, I would simply build an HTPC and gain back some extra function as well as media streaming. Thanks for your help though!

Last edited by SugarJ; February 13, 2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old February 13, 2014, 07:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I wouldn't use DLNA, just browse to your network share.

Most likely your windows 7 share isn't done right so it doesn't show up on the WDTV
Old February 13, 2014, 07:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post

Most likely your windows 7 share isn't done right so it doesn't show up on the WDTV
Is there a reason why you'd recommend against using DLNA? I'm not saying you're wrong as my experience with it is limited, but it seemed to work well when I was playing with connecting android devices to my media files, and my HT Receiver also seems to work well with it. The only issue I've ever come across has been audio files being ordered alphabetically, but that's not a universal issue and I suspect it has something to do with the way the files were written to the HDD.

As far as windows sharing goes... my main PC apparently wasn't taught proper manners while growing up, and thus seems to lose the ability to properly share on the network for no apparent reason..... :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old February 13, 2014, 09:14 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post

I tried all the above suggestions, plus more I've been finding along the way, and none of them have worked. Firmware is up to date, and everything is setup to share.

If you know the best way to share a Folder, on the NON-OS drive, I would love to hear it. I had this same configuration working with my XP install from before.

I would also like to add that my computer is seen as a media server, but there is no content in any of the folders.

Last edited by Sheep; February 13, 2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old February 13, 2014, 10:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Is there a reason why you'd recommend against using DLNA? I'm not saying you're wrong as my experience with it is limited, but it seemed to work well when I was playing with connecting android devices to my media files, and my HT Receiver also seems to work well with it. The only issue I've ever come across has been audio files being ordered alphabetically, but that's not a universal issue and I suspect it has something to do with the way the files were written to the HDD.

As far as windows sharing goes... my main PC apparently wasn't taught proper manners while growing up, and thus seems to lose the ability to properly share on the network for no apparent reason..... :)
Well, it's not that I'd recommend against it so much than the network share model has just always worked flawlessly for me... seems to be less complicated once it's up and running, providing your network shares don't up and disappear

SHEEP: take a look at this and see if any of it applies. I've realized I'm network dumb!