Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 11, 2014, 10:02 AM
Rookie

Default New home Mixing Cat5E with Cat6?

I purchased a new home and ran one line of Cat5E cable to each of the 4 bedrooms before the drywall went up. I also ran Cat5E wire for future cameras, one on main floor hallway and one on second floor hallway. I dropped all the wires to the basement and separated the camera wire and internet cable wire. The house has now been drywalled. Shhhhhhhhh.........I ran all this with out the builder permission. Lets see if they rip it out.

Anyways,
I was online and I purchased Cat6 cable (1000 feet) for a great deal. I wanted to run a few lines to the livingroom one line to the kitchen desk and also to the kids play room using the Cat6 wire.
I will be installing ketstones with a wall plate to the desired rooms.

Now let the questions begin.

Is this possible mixing Cat5E and Cat6 cables?
DO I need to purchase Cat5E keystones for Cat5E wire and Cat6 ketstones for Cat6 wire? Or can I mix it?

Can I use one patch panel for both types of wire? If not What? If so, What about keystones on patch panel, DO I need to purchase Cat5E keystones for Cat5E wire and Cat6 ketstones for Cat6 wire? Or can I mix?
I have no networking experience so please take it easy on me.
Was it a mistake to purchase the Cat6 wire?

I Need Help......
Old February 11, 2014, 10:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well if it were me I would stay with cat6 , I wouldn't mix match I don't think that you would notice the difference but I think that it is better to have all of te same type . it is kind of future proofing if I remember correctly cat6 can handle 200 or 250mhz and 10 gbs ethernet plus is better at filtering interference I am by no means a techy at this but I seem top remember reading omething this a while back.
cat 5e is 100mhz and 1 gbs .
some one on the forums here probably will be allot better at explaining.
so basically I would think that if you could use allot of bandwidth that mix and matching will bottle net your network.
Old February 11, 2014, 10:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

The short answer is: yes, you can mix CAT5e and CAT6 without any issue.

For a home network, I'd actually be VERY surprised if you noticed a difference. CAT5e is gigabit network capable, and it's highly unlikely that you have a home network switch/router that's beyond gigabit networking. Certainly CAT6 is rated faster, but you won't really won't utilize the speed.

Also worth keeping in mind is that networking speed is really only relative for data transfer within your network. Internet access and downloads will still be limited by your ISP as this is always the weakest link in the chain.
Old February 11, 2014, 10:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Short answer, you can mix and match as much as you like.

Cat 5e is guaranteed for Gigabit speed, while Cat 6 is guaranteed for 10 Gigabit and has lower crosstalk and a better signal to noise ratio. If you use Cat 5e connectors on Cat 6 cable, that run will only be guaranteed to run at 5e speeds.
Old February 11, 2014, 10:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You might just need to be careful with the wire gauges if you are using keystone jacks. I think CAT5E is a bit thinner than CAT6 and the teeth of the jack might not get a proper bite.
Old February 11, 2014, 10:56 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Short answer, you can mix and match as much as you like.

Cat 5e is guaranteed for Gigabit speed, while Cat 6 is guaranteed for 10 Gigabit and has lower crosstalk and a better signal to noise ratio. If you use Cat 5e connectors on Cat 6 cable, that run will only be guaranteed to run at 5e speeds.

Based on that is it safe to assume that longer runs would be possible? (Not that any normal house has room for a run that would affect cat5... ;) ).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old February 11, 2014, 11:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Based on that is it safe to assume that longer runs would be possible? (Not that any normal house has room for a run that would affect cat5... ;) ).
Nope. Same distance.
Old February 11, 2014, 11:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
No. CAT6 is actually a little strange. All twisted pair is rated based on 100m lengths. But with CAT6, it's rated in two lengths. 100m for gigabit (90+10), but only 50m for 10gigabit.
Old February 11, 2014, 11:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
No. CAT6 is actually a little strange. All twisted pair is rated based on 100m lengths. But with CAT6, it's rated in two lengths. 100m for gigabit (90+10), but only 50m for 10gigabit.
LOL its not strange its perfectly normal! It only requires shorter distance due to interference and such.

Remember the days of thick/thin coax and the distances it could run.
Old February 11, 2014, 11:18 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
that 50M is only true as well in low noise enviroments. I think it shrinks to 10M??? in a data center like environment.