Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 9, 2014, 08:09 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Upgrading Internet Speed

We had a wicked wind storm in January - knocked down most of my local ISP's internet towers that deliver the radio signal to my house (incorrectly called satellite internet because the receivers used to look like satellite dishes I suppose - now they look like rectangular pads). Anyway, when they repaired their towers they upgraded the system and now can offer a whopping 8 Mbps download. (Have not heard if the upload improves fromthe 1 Mbps I get now). Currently they say they offer speeds up to 6 - I've broken 5 a few times but usually 3 or 4 Mbps. SO - if their advertised rate goes from 6 to 8, that's a 33% increase in the advertised rate - should be a similar increase in actual rates (or so my hopeful thinking goes).

But if I go from 4 to 5.5 or even 6 is that a big enough upgrade to pay the extra bucks. They want an extra $20/month to upgrade. Webpages might open a second or two sooner. Surfing is not painful at 4.5 (unlike surfing on my G3 cell phone - that is like dial up).

I've asked if the upload would improve because that could improve our Skype (and Google Hangout) - our family is spread around and we connect with our grandson in Mississippi in Hangout. IF there is a significant improved promise for upload I might pay the extra.

They also increase allowable download from 60 GB to 100 GB. Which would matter once a year when the big Steam sale is on. Or if we decide to go Netflicks.

So, $20/month may not seem like a lot (and it's not) but is there any big advantage from going from an advertised rate of 6 to an advertised rate of 8? (plus that extra 40 GB downloadable), and maybe improved upload (TBD??).

I'm hoping that the new system will at least be more reliable. I joke that ISP stands for Internet Sometimes Provider. (Wind storm not their fault - I can accept something like that putting it out for a couple of weeks - but their system is down a few times every year now, improved from a time or two each month a few years ago - improvement is good.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old February 9, 2014, 08:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

I think probably with radio internet your primary problem would be latency, not download speed. half a meg a second is pretty decent for most basic things, other then streaming videos or loading a picture gallery. Depends on what you do in the end, with Steam and Netflix.

It's subjective. If it's worth it to you, then it's worth it. Try it for a few months, downgrade if you don't like it or notice a difference!
Old February 9, 2014, 09:20 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Up here I have 100MB down and 10MB up only seen a increase in.speed in steam. Some peak speeds were at 9.8mb down.
Old February 9, 2014, 11:12 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

LarkStarr is mostly correct, it's more the latency(or more correctly, the variability) with a W-ISP.

Still a boost in speed will likely increase the resolution of Videos, etc that that you can watch without buffering. 6-7 should be enough to allow 720-1080 Netflix.

Phone them up and see if they'll let you try it for a day or two, or maybe just upgrade for a month or two to see if it works for you.

I wish my WISP would offer me speeds like that at a reasonable price
Old February 10, 2014, 12:02 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

My Internet bill is $139 a month for 250Gb of bandwith for 100mb down 10mb up. We also have another company that provides wireless cable Internet. Tried them during summer any kind of clouds/rain and your sol for any Internet connection till it clears up or if a patch of clear sky comes up you may get 128kb to 156kb speed.
Old February 10, 2014, 08:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

Welcome to wireless internet.. over radio frequencies.. It is only good at the best of times and horrible the rest.

Weather and anything else that gets in the way will make it run like a turd. But when you live in rural areas you don't have much else for choice.
Old February 10, 2014, 01:34 PM
Top Prospect

It might be worth it for video streaming but like people said try it and see if it makes a difference. dARqSyDE I am on wisp to, it not their prices that bug me but there service. There new install guy is afraid of heights.
Old February 10, 2014, 06:40 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Thanks for the advice.
I'm not sure they have a "try it for a while" option. I think they need to install a different receiver on my roof so it would be very labour intensive for a small company to do. This is a small "ma and pa" operation. And yes - no internet during heavy rain or snow. I do get annoyed by the 'buffering' for youtube style video on line. I've never tried netflix or other movie downloads. I also have never tired live streamed multi-player video gaming. A) not sure I'm good enough to try that, and B) not sure my internet speed would manage it, C) no particular game has caught my interest that I'd want to play against others life. But things change and maybe I might find the right game, internet might work, and I might even like it.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old February 10, 2014, 08:25 PM
Top Prospect

They shouldn't, the small square transmitter can easily handle 10mb a second. It does depend on age but if what you have is less the 8 years old I would say you are probably good. The bigger transmitters send a more powerful signal. I have one but that is because I was the first person on my angle and and was a fair distance to the tower something slightly over 10k. Because of this I rarely lose the signal due to weather. The weather will down the tower more often then me. They probably wont want to give you one as too many large transmitters will cause signal to be drowned out.

As for the gaming run Pingtest.net - The Global Broadband Quality Test if you get a B rating you can probably play almost anything excepting hyper competitive fps.
More mb definetly reduce the youtube buffering, netflix recommends 5-7mb for hd streaming. Given the variable speeds and the network congestion that usually happens at prime time the extra mb wont help if you watch then. Run speed test when you regularly would watch a show, if it is below 4 megs then Netflix probably is not going to be useful.(Unless you watch on your computer or have a 40" or smaller TV.)
Old February 11, 2014, 08:11 AM
MVP

My System Specs

$20/mth for 2mb speed increase to my mind is expensive nothing is free no, but they get gb/sec for pennies on the dollar really, if you feel you can afford it then why not the extra speed is nice to have when watching things, updating games and such and it will help with other things, Skype is a huge bandwidth hog both for upload and download, so in this if you average ~4.8mb/s and the faster one would ~6.8 then it would help quite a bit in these extents, but if you are paying the majority of that $20/mth for the extra data cap I think that is what you need to figure if its worth it or not.

Get them to install and pay attention to the speeds you get, Netflix, steam, origin are 3 services that can take whatever you throw at them speed wise.