Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 21, 2014, 12:09 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Router setup for new place help

Ok so im moving to a new place in a few weeks and i have a few questions. I have a lack of knowledge when it comes to internet and networks, so im asking you guys so i can know what to expect.

The place im moving to includes internet in the rent price and the router is on the main level of the house (where the landlord lives,) and i can just go off their wifi. I know that will be fine for all my stuff, but i do have the Nvidia shield (amazing device btw,) and it requires my Asus RT-N66U (dual band router, the shield requires a 5ghz nework.) Also, my desktop needs to be hooked up with a cable to the router for it to work flawlessly.

So my question as for my shield and desktop goes: can i just create a LAN network with my router to support the shield, and while doing that can the shield and desktop also be connected to the wifi for internet connection? So the desktop would be using the wired LAN port and a usb wifi stick, and the shield would just be over the wifi.

Another question is could i just somehow connect my router to the wifi and use that as another router emitting the same wifi signal? Hope that makes sense.

And lastly could my landlord get a second modem and have it hooked up on my floor while still having it on the one same service? The ISP is shaw.

It would be nice if one of these worked, then i could save 60$ a month for paying for my own separate internet. Thanks for the help.
Old January 21, 2014, 12:52 AM
F@H

My System Specs

If you have a cable running to the router upstairs, hook it into your router. turn off DHCP on your router. Then hook your computer into your router, and use your router's wifi for access for any wireless devices. This gives you a wired connection through your router for your desktop, and your own wireless network downstairs.

This is how I have my basement suite set up for my son.

If there's no cable to upstairs, I believe you'll have to set up the N66U as a bridge. But I don't have any experience doing that.
Old January 21, 2014, 02:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

what modem ? from shaw the Cisco DPC3825 Internet Modem would best for WiFi

yes just bridge your current router to landlords equipment
Old January 21, 2014, 06:20 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You should have an option for "Repeater Mode" on your N66U. That'll do what you want. It'll connect to the landlord's WiFi and re-broadcast it in your area. You can then plug your PC into it too to get Internet access via WiFi and your Shield would connect to the 5GHz SSID on your N66U to get Internet + connection to your desktop.
Old January 21, 2014, 07:07 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Awesome! thanks guys, il look up some how to's, hope its not too tricky!