Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 18, 2014, 05:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default File server questions

I'm going to be setting up a file server soon and I plan on either running a hypervisor, or a host + VMs for game servers and test servers. My question is I want to be able to have my files shared over my network, and accessible over VPN in to my network off site. But i also want it to be secure as possible, are password protected samba shares possible? And if so can I set users and what directories I want them to be able to access. Say I want to be able to access the whole drive, but I want my mom to be able to only access one folder for her to be able to run backups on.
Old January 18, 2014, 07:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You should be able to make separate shares with varying levels of permissions/access. You'll likely just need to create local user accounts to do so. If this matches up with the username/password on the client PC, it should connect without prompts.

I'd say Windows (Hyper-V Server) is likely the easiest to achieve that.
Old January 18, 2014, 07:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

SAMBA for file sharing = teh suck fyi.

Its sooo slow and painful.
Old January 18, 2014, 07:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I should have added, I'd much rather run this in a linux environment if possible, but I'll use windows if I have to.