Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 16, 2014, 07:56 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default ASUS RT-AC56U & USB-AC56 Review Comment Thread

ASUS' new wireless router, the RT-AC56U, represents an effort to bring the fast 802.11AC standard to a more affordable price. Meanwhile, the USB-AC56 brings that AC signal to a compact USB adapter.

Read more here: ASUS RT-AC56U & USB-AC56 802.11AC Review
Old January 16, 2014, 08:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Pretty good deal for an AC router, however they should of allowed it to sit "flat" as well. I don't really understand this trend of having routers stand up vertically...
Old January 16, 2014, 08:14 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

It's an internal antenna thing.
Old January 17, 2014, 05:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Seems like a very solid router for mainstream AC. Kind of like an e4200 that's updated for usb3 and wireless AC.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old January 19, 2014, 08:49 AM
Allstar

Sky

Many thanks for the review and for taking an interest in these items as most of us who haven't tried them first hand have no idea of their quality.

Between The Asus PCI-E AC68
Newegg.com - ASUS PCE-AC68 Dual-band Wireless-AC1900 Adapter IEEE 802.11ac, IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n PCI Express Up to 600 and 1300Mbps Wireless Data Rates WPA2,

The 2T2R Dual Band 802.11ac Wi-Fi + BT v4.0, built in the newer Z87 motherboards

And the Mini PCI-E Intel 7260HMW IEEE 802.11AC, dual-band, 2x2 Wi-Fi plus Bluetooth 4.0
Newegg.com - Intel 7260HMW IEEE 802.11AC, dual-band, 2x2 Wi-Fi plus Bluetooth 4.0 Mini PCI Express combo Adapter - 867 Mbps+300Mbps - Internal - Wireless Adapters

1) I'm assuming from the review that the USB solution is natively inferior to these solutions right?

2) Is there a noticeable gap in performance between them?
Old January 19, 2014, 10:11 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

You are indeed correct. USB is inferior to PCI-E solutions. Smaller, lower power antennas with slower internals (usually).

Between the three you linked. I would choose the PCE-AC68. External antenna base + high performance chip + great signal strength == great coverage. It is what I use and have in the testbed. It is bulky, expensive and kinda noticeable though.

Personally I would try the built in and see if it is good enough. The 'on-board' solutions vary from board to board and so too does their performance. Try it, see if you get good performance and signal strength. If not....then opt for the Asus and skip the Intel. The Intel is good, but your antennas and the like will be the same so performance differences will be moderate at best.

Performance also will vary based on the router you are using. I prefer external antenna arrays to internal. YMMV, but hope that helps. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 19, 2014, 11:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just am starting to understand wireless and to be honest for me personally I don't notice any difference etween wireless G and N ,
which is why now I am a little confused so the newer version of wireless router is fast right? which ISPs support this faster speeds or is this wireless better for home networking like streaming and such at home?

how do I test the differences between G and N wireless . I am not in anyway saying there isn't any differences I just haven't seen any but then again I only use wireless for my o,ld meida player and laptops.
Old January 19, 2014, 12:03 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I just am starting to understand wireless and to be honest for me personally I don't notice any difference etween wireless G and N ,
which is why now I am a little confused so the newer version of wireless router is fast right? which ISPs support this faster speeds or is this wireless better for home networking like streaming and such at home?

how do I test the differences between G and N wireless . I am not in anyway saying there isn't any differences I just haven't seen any but then again I only use wireless for my o,ld meida player and laptops.
A proper test between G, N & AC requires both the router and the receiving device/PC to have identical standards. So if you change your router to AC while using the same device that has the N standard, then you're not using the AC standard and the bandwidth will remain the same.
Old January 19, 2014, 12:04 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

For internet connections, you wont notice any difference between N and AC...unless you are on like a 100Mbit connection! This is solely for your LAN performance. E.G. streaming from your PC or NAS to your HTPC. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 25, 2014, 02:46 PM
Trial Member

Hi ,
Thanks for the review , does USB Ac-56 support UNI 3 channels also , 149 onwards . I bought one in Europe and seems it is hw locked as I cannot see those channels , but I could see the channel 149 in your picture ? Is there some way to unlock this band for my adapter or a different driver .

Thanks, ravi