Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12, 2014, 10:47 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default VMedia/Zazeen

Has anyone subscribed to either VMedia or Zazeen? Both are fairly new IPTV providers in the Ontario/Quebec area, which I know of lot of us reside in.

If you have either service, what are your thoughts?

Likewise, has anyone else been researching these companies or considering "cutting the cord"?
Old January 12, 2014, 11:50 AM
Allstar

I haven't found anything that would convince me to switch ISP's (or pay for a second service) and that's the biggest drawback right now. Not really happy about the limited choice of HD channels as well. Looks like I'll still be downloading everything I want to watch for quite a while now. I get everything in HD and can watch it at my convenience. Just bought a new media player as I don't see my watching habits changing any time soon.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old January 13, 2014, 02:06 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

we have a few clients on vmedia. You need to have their internet package (CRTC rule apparently). Now the service....nothing but client complaints about any and everything. Not sure if this is VMedia or IPTV in general. To be honest they work with you to try to fix the issues but when your clients tells you his kids are begging him to go back to Rogers, that speaks volumes.
Old January 13, 2014, 08:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I know, it'll be a big shock from Rogers, but I've setup both Netflix and Hulu along with supplementary torrents. That serves a vast majority of my needs, with the only remaining piece being live TV primarily for hockey and morning news.

...but I'm still not entirely sold on the technology behind it. Sounds like picture/audio quality will suffer as well.
Old March 12, 2014, 03:31 PM
Rookie

Default Hello

Very sorry to have overlooked this forum, but glad I found it now. Daedalus2002, I am glad you give us a chance to comment on some of the experiences your clients have had. First of all I encourage you to have them get in touch with us if they haven't already done so to let us help them improve their VMedia experience. Equally importantly I want to suggest that you or anyone else who is interested revisit some of those platforms where we have received unfavourable comments.The fact is that they have been quickly diminishing as we have made serious improvements to our reception and broadcasting resources, so that we went through the Olympics with very few issues, if any. We have been clear that VMedia is a technology platform as much as anything else and as such like with all newly introduced technologies, issues have to be discovered and addressed. We are well on our way to addressing them all, and encourage anyone who has had any impressions to the contrary to revisit us, and see for themselves how much things have improved even since, in fact especially since, the date of your post. Best regards and I hope to be a regular visitor here.
Old March 12, 2014, 05:27 PM
Allstar

Couple of issues with this right off the bat
1) Eats bandwidth without being noticeably cheaper.
2) packages WTF?
3) Tied to their ISP service vs allowing anyone to sign on is crud. If the regulation thing is true that needs to change.

Nice to see someone independent from the big guys, unfortunately its a bit fail for me in its current state.
Old March 12, 2014, 06:31 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

George, glad you revived this thread. I've actually taken home a box a few weeks ago to do some real testing myself. From a technology standpoint, it just works. I had one single issue of the video freezing for a few seconds (CP24 around 730pm) but other than that no real other issues.

I'm not a big TV watcher so I cant comment on long term usage just yet. One major issue i see is quality. Vs cable i am sure the quality is on par or better but I am comparing it to netflix/blueray and the quality is significantly worse. I want real HD channels! I understand that will take more bandwidth but that shouldn't be an issue with unlimited plans.

All in all, YES, the service is a lot better than where you were a few months ago.
Old March 12, 2014, 07:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm definitely seeing a ton of ads in TTC bus shelters for Zazeen recently.

Daedalus2002, have you not looked at Cable TV recently? Your comments sound very much like my friend's who haven't looked at cable recently. I would say HD Cable is equal to that of Netflix/Hulu. A bit less than Bluray though.

I know a few months ago when I looked at VMedia at Canada Computers, the quality was far, far less than cable. Even SD Rogers cable looked better in my opinion.
Old March 13, 2014, 04:50 AM
Rookie

Hi JD, Can you recall which Canada Computers store you visited? I ask because unfortunately I admit we don't get around to the store kiosks often enough to ensure that the VBox' are operating at expectation, and unaddressed issues such as internet speed to the VBox can of course affect reception quality. However, even as far back as a few months ago, in fact right to the beginning of our launch, I cannot recollect a comment from any of our customers that reflected the impression you expressed for the standard of our broadcast quality. It would be great if you gave it another shot.
Old March 13, 2014, 04:51 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus2002 View Post
George, glad you revived this thread. I've actually taken home a box a few weeks ago to do some real testing myself. From a technology standpoint, it just works. I had one single issue of the video freezing for a few seconds (CP24 around 730pm) but other than that no real other issues.

I'm not a big TV watcher so I cant comment on long term usage just yet. One major issue i see is quality. Vs cable i am sure the quality is on par or better but I am comparing it to netflix/blueray and the quality is significantly worse. I want real HD channels! I understand that will take more bandwidth but that shouldn't be an issue with unlimited plans.

All in all, YES, the service is a lot better than where you were a few months ago.
Thanks very much Daedalus2002, hope to be visiting here often.