Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 26, 2013, 10:54 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Extended network question

EDIT: To rephrase my original question: In a large, split level house, what are my options for getting the broadest reach for a wireless network while maintaining a single network throughout (so that devices can "see" each other as though they are all connected to a single router)?

Original post:

I'm trying to set up a home network in my parents house. It's a long single floor house and the router doesn't nearly reach the whole house.

I want to have a longer range and, most importantly, I need it to have a single network for devices. I need devices connected to one router able to see devices on the other (printers, chromecast, etc. as though everything was connected to a single router). I'd like to have a single SSID/pw where devices automatically connect to the strongest signal.

Currently I have a Dlink DIR-825 and a Linksys WRT54GL set up with DD-WRT as a repeater. I'm prepared to get new equipment but I have no idea what to get.

Thank you everyone!

Last edited by Evylldemon; December 27, 2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old December 26, 2013, 11:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm guessing you're asking about wifi and not wired?
Old December 26, 2013, 01:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Rase your present router as close to the ceiling in the room its in as you can. preferably on the main floor of house and as central to the structure ass possabel.
Old December 26, 2013, 03:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evylldemon View Post
I'm trying to set up a home network in my parents house. It's a long single floor house and the router doesn't nearly reach the whole house.

I want to have a longer range and, most importantly, I need it to have a single network for devices. I need devices connected to one router able to see devices on the other (printers, chromecast, etc. as though everything was connected to a single router). I'd like to have a single SSID/pw where devices automatically connect to the strongest signal.

Currently I have a Dlink DIR-825 and a Linksys WRT54GL set up with DD-WRT as a repeater. I'm prepared to get new equipment but I have no idea what to get.

Thank you everyone!
Both of those are very old routers. I'd invest in a new router and you'd probably find that alone would increase your range.
Old December 26, 2013, 11:03 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I'm guessing you're asking about wifi and not wired?
Yes, I'm looking to extend the range of the wifi and maintain a single network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
Rase your present router as close to the ceiling in the room its in as you can. preferably on the main floor of house and as central to the structure ass possabel.
Still barely reaches halfway across the house.
Old December 26, 2013, 11:06 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Both of those are very old routers. I'd invest in a new router and you'd probably find that alone would increase your range.
Are we talking like double the range of the 825? If so that would definitely be the best option. The old linksys can definitely go it's only G anyway.
Old December 27, 2013, 04:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

look at this router Special price ends 01/03/2014

if going to media stream with router take the ASUS RT-AC66U worth every penny

Last edited by KaptCrunch; December 27, 2013 at 05:00 AM.
Old December 27, 2013, 04:40 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
look at this router Special price ends 01/03/2014

if going to media stream with router take the ASUS RT-AC66U worth every penny
Thanks, that looks like a great router for the price.

Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself and not asking the right questions though. To clarify my question:

In a large, split level house, what are my options for getting the broadest reach for a wireless network while maintaining a single network throughout (so that devices can "see" each other as though they are all connected to a single router)
Old December 27, 2013, 04:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evylldemon View Post
Thanks, that looks like a great router for the price.

Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself and not asking the right questions though. To clarify my question:

In a large, split level house, what are my options for getting the broadest reach for a wireless network while maintaining a single network throughout (so that devices can "see" each other as though they are all connected to a single router)
To fully answer your question.

Powerline Ethernet.
Old December 27, 2013, 05:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
To fully answer your question.

Powerline Ethernet.
This, especially if it's a newer home.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP