Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 23, 2014, 07:24 AM
Allstar

Thanks Ichi. I haven't swapped routers yet but I still may. The lag has almost all dissapeared, might have been a temporary problem, I'm not sure. But now my biggest complaint is that the voip adaptor stays offline and won't wake up after a net outage. Since December Rogers has gone out twice for many hours, both times i had to power cycle the adaptor to get a dialtone again. I contacted voip.ms support, this is what they said:

1. If your router has a SIP ALG and/or SPI Firewall setting, ensure that it is disabled. That setting is common in D-Link and Netgear routers.
2. Set Register expires to a lower value (300 seconds is recommended)
3. If your device has any options similar to "Nat keep alive" and "Nat mapping" please enable them. This will make the connection not go idle.
4. Finally, verify if you have the latest firmware updated on the device, reboot and re-test.

I confirmed #2 & 3 last night and it's still working fine today. How risky is it if that SPI Firewall is disabled? I can see that setting in the router and it was enabled by default.
Old March 20, 2014, 02:52 PM
Rookie

I use voip.ms with little to no hesitation I would recommend it.

HOWEVER. I have already had a SPA112 die on me due to internal issues - not software.
I also use a nortel 1120e with avaya firmware and haven't had an issue, and on android use the integrated sip protocol which seems to be more stable then a normal cell based call.