Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 11, 2013, 08:34 PM
Rookie

I have been using voip.ms as a landline for about 3 years for my Asterisk VoIP system for my smart phones and VoIP phone, and I think it's good enough.

I have a thing to mention that it totally relies on the internet bandwidth and the router capability,, e.g. If someone uses bittorrent, it would most likely cause a voice-breakup issue and big latency due to router CPU overload and upload bandwidth congestion.

If you can avoid those, I'd recommend it too.
Old December 12, 2013, 04:45 AM
Allstar

Thanks for the heads up Ichi, I went ahead and got the Cisco adaptor, set it up last night with a test line, got a dial tone, and it makes calls. Wasn't that easy to setup but fortunately they have a wiki for most adaptors which helped alot. Next will be to get the Bell number switched over. The only thing that concerns me is when the ISP has a outage, the phones won't work, but apparently you can forward calls to a cell if that happens(?).
Old December 12, 2013, 05:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You have every option under the sun.

You can even make it when someone specific calls they get hold music...
Old December 17, 2013, 04:05 PM
Allstar

I've got a temporary number, and a ported number now from Bell. My adaptor has 2 jacks for phones. How do I hook up two phones to ring for each number? Is it as simple as plugging one into each jack?
Old December 17, 2013, 05:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Each jack has it's own config, so connect one DID (phone number) to each jack.

In the end the jack will only ring and work for the number configured to it.
Old December 19, 2013, 06:37 AM
Allstar

OK I think I got it, both Line lights are lit, today should be the test. How do you determine which server to use? I'm on one of the montreal servers now, just because it's closest, but I wonder if my Rogers cable has a faster link to Toronto, only because many places that detect locations by IP put me in Toronto.
Old December 19, 2013, 07:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

shouldn't make that much difference really.

I've terminated on the seattle voip on my cell phone when I was in Florida....
Old December 19, 2013, 08:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by On2wheels View Post
Thanks for the heads up Ichi, I went ahead and got the Cisco adaptor, set it up last night with a test line, got a dial tone, and it makes calls. Wasn't that easy to setup but fortunately they have a wiki for most adaptors which helped alot. Next will be to get the Bell number switched over. The only thing that concerns me is when the ISP has a outage, the phones won't work, but apparently you can forward calls to a cell if that happens(?).
another thing to conceder is using a UPS for when you have no power to run your VOIP set-up
Old January 3, 2014, 07:39 AM
Allstar

Yeah a UPS is a good idea.
I've got the system running, but when I make a call on a test line, there seemed to be a relatively long delay from when I spoke to when the other person heard me. I'm wondering if my network setup is not ideal for voip service. I'm using the Rogers Cisco DPC3825 cable modem/router combo. It's been fine for me so far, but alot of people have complained about the wireless service.
Of course the voip adaptor is plugged in by wire, but I'm wondering if there still some optimizing I can do, and I'm not sure where to check first.

1. Do I put the DPC3825 in 'bridged mode' and use my old Linksys DIR615 router for wireless in the house?
1.1 Will the Linksys router slow my wired connection speeds since it's only(?) a 300Mbps router? (I'm on Rogers Express service)
2. Should I look into things like a non-Rogers DNS server? Or other settings like that?
3. Are there modem/router/voip provider settings that cause lag that I should check?
Old January 3, 2014, 12:02 PM
Rookie

How much time of delay do you have?
There must be some longer delay in VoIP due to the modem(encoding/decoding) process compare to the regular PSTN calls, and it's a bit longer than cellular calls I feel.
When I had a huge delay, ping response to any server on the Internet was like 800ms - 3000ms. Voice delay was like up to 3 seconds, and worst case was broken voice. This was due to BitTorrent uplink traffic made by another roommate.

What I'd do are:
1. check ping response time first, and if it's more than 500ms, maybe congestion is the cause.
2. dedicate the bandwidth for the VoIP traffic by disconnecting other devices and test
3. add other devices one by one and test

* DNS does not really affect RTP traffic, because DNS resolution is done before SIP and/or RTP traffic is firstly sent.
* If it's a wired connection between the Modem/router and the ATA, any connection speed must be good as VoIP RTP traffic uses 64kbps(+ header... I'm lazy to calculate, but let's say about 80-100kbps from my rough memory) on G711 (ulaw/alaw); even 10Mbps connection is fast enough.
* Regarding the wireless capacity of the routers, wireless connection itself has no business to the wired connection for the ATA (unless the RF interferes the wired connection but I've never heard that WiFi wave really affects). But IP traffic does have (which I would like to check).

If you can use a tomato based router or equivalent to limit bandwidth on IP level, it would be a solution, obviously if the issue is IP traffic congestion.
I have similar WAN connection (25Mbps down and 2.5Mbps up), and I dedicate 500kbps for VoIP traffic with the highest priority, and limit bandwidth to 1Mbps with lowest priority for all other devices on my Netgear WNR3500L v2 with Tomato firmware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by On2wheels View Post
Yeah a UPS is a good idea.
I've got the system running, but when I make a call on a test line, there seemed to be a relatively long delay from when I spoke to when the other person heard me. I'm wondering if my network setup is not ideal for voip service. I'm using the Rogers Cisco DPC3825 cable modem/router combo. It's been fine for me so far, but alot of people have complained about the wireless service.
Of course the voip adaptor is plugged in by wire, but I'm wondering if there still some optimizing I can do, and I'm not sure where to check first.

1. Do I put the DPC3825 in 'bridged mode' and use my old Linksys DIR615 router for wireless in the house?
1.1 Will the Linksys router slow my wired connection speeds since it's only(?) a 300Mbps router? (I'm on Rogers Express service)
2. Should I look into things like a non-Rogers DNS server? Or other settings like that?
3. Are there modem/router/voip provider settings that cause lag that I should check?