F@H

My System Specs

I prefer AsusWRT Merlin builds for RT-N66U and RT-AC66U

He has one available for the AC68U:
[RT-AC68U] A dose of Quicksilver - SmallNetBuilder Forums
Old October 31, 2013, 01:07 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Awesome guys thanks! Will consider this if I keep the router...Newegg is shipping me a new Netgear Nighthawk...maybe I'll keep both and use one as a range extender.
Fold for team #54196
Old October 31, 2013, 03:30 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I have it's younger non-AC sibling the RT-N66U
I just ordered 6 of these to blanket 3 warehouses in wifi after reading the reviews.
Old October 31, 2013, 04:05 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Actually a new firmware (306) was released a few days ago...thats two in the short time I had it. Just applied it. Some memory management and 2.4 performance issues supposed to be fixed.

DDwRT and Merlin's firmware seem to be the only two available. I would prefer something more mature from the modding community first (unless there is a killer feature I'm missing, or even added stability).
Fold for team #54196
Old November 2, 2013, 05:04 AM
Trial Member

You'd go for the ASUS RT-AC66U if your budget allows, best damn router I've ever owned. And it should be for almost $200. ASUS RT, with a new standard: 802.11ac. The main features of this ASUS RT-AC66U IS its great wireless speeds, reaching up to 1.3Gbps in the 5GHz band and up to 450Mbps in the 2.4GHz one. Itís dual band

Last edited by Bray; November 2, 2013 at 06:20 AM.
Old November 14, 2013, 07:22 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Spent my first few days with the RT-AC68U and it is pretty deadly. Beamforming works like a charm. Go to an area of the house and have less than half reception and a few seconds later goes to full bars and stays there.

Easy setup and looks quite nice and feels really well built compared to the stuff I have had previously. Expensive, but seems like it is worth it.
Old December 10, 2013, 10:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^ I ordered my AC680U about 8 days ago (NCIX), still waiting.......quick question guys, is the shipped FW alright, or is it necessary to update it? Curious as that is not my forte, as I have never updated FW on a Router.
I'm presently using a 2 yr old Linsys...WRT 310n v2...fairly decent Router, although the range isnt that great, as in my Smart TV is downstairs at the opposite end of the house and I barely get a signal to it, when I stream videos from my upstairs PC it occasionally drops the signal and freezes.
My Speedtest results on my Notebook (Wireless connection) suck, paying for Shaw BB50 and I'm lucky to get 15Mbps.

Hence going for this Router, hoping to speed everything up Wirelessly in my home.

Another quick one guys....I know this is common, but I have to re-boot my router about every few days to get my speeds back up, now Google advised to disable UPnP (Universal Plug n Play), which I did and I'm day 2 without having to reset the router....maybe this is a fix?

Would disabling UPnP effect download speeds for something like Bit Torrent....or speeds on wireless devices? Curious as my Bit torrent download speeds arent very good considering I'm paying for BB50....as in 700Kb/Sec - 1.2 MB/Sec......I did see 3.5 MB/Sec once bu for the most part its pretty consistent 700 KB/Sec - 1 MB/Sec....for what its worth downloading from Steam screams at close to 6 MB/Sec (which I should be getting with BB50).

Thanks for any insight....

Last edited by rjbarker; December 10, 2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old December 10, 2013, 01:02 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I would update the firmware, especially on hardware as immature as this router.

Two methods to update:
1. Within the admin area of the router, tehre is a 'check update' or similar button. Run that first.
2. Manually download the firmware update, extract the update from the zip file, and update manually. This option is also found in the administrator section of the router.

I have this router now, but am using the Netgear nighthawk instead (I'll use the Asus as a network extender). When I first got the Asus, I use method #1 and it found no update, despite the fact that Asus' site had a download available manually. So I downloaded the file and did it that way.

I do suggest getting the update first thing, and after you do the update do a factory reset so that your router is starting fresh...sort of like updating a bios of a new mobo...get the update before you tweak the heck out of it.

RJ if you can OC a cpu then this is child's play. If you are thinking of 3rd party firmwares, I would still hold off for a while until someone else finds out all the bugs and brick-causing mistakes.
Fold for team #54196
Old December 10, 2013, 05:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^ Yeah okay Chris thanks...I did go to the Asus Site today and downloaded the latest FW. I also downloaded the Manual and looks like updating FW is exactly as you described ;)

Just want my Router now, ordered it 2 weeks ago and still nothing, been showing as in stock at the Egg for a number of day now......NCIX is fubar after a Black Friday sale... ;) I knew I shoul have gone with Newegg!!

Old December 10, 2013, 05:14 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Brutal RJ. If you were local I'd give you mine and let ya swap/keep whatever.

Not surprised you were already on this FW update.

If you want do do some reading on this router while you are waiting, check out this subforum: ASUS AC Routers & Adapters - SmallNetBuilder Forums

Lots of discussion on latest updates, 3rd party firmware statuses, etc.
Fold for team #54196