Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 24, 2007, 07:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

if memory serves me correctly you'll need a router to go between vlans. i could be wrong it's been a while since i needed vlans.

Old March 24, 2007, 10:13 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdguy View Post
if memory serves me correctly you'll need a router to go between vlans. i could be wrong it's been a while since i needed vlans.
yeah the fvs124G wil be doing that.

The whole thing might be a lot simpler if I had left out the gs116 switch and got a managed switch with a lot more gigabit ports. the fsm750s only has 2, and i basically wanted to do everything but the folding farm as gigabit ... but it would have been a LOT more $.

Since i also have a home office, and run my folding rigs very lean but file shared, i am a bit anal about security with my son and his gaming guests.

I should prolly startup a thread on this project.
Old March 24, 2007, 11:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I should prolly startup a thread on this project.
That'd be a great idea!

It might end up being over the heads of most of us (sounds like quite a network you're setting up), but many folks are setting up home networks and you might touch on concepts (vlans for one :) ) that they've never considered.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP

Last edited by sswilson; March 24, 2007 at 11:21 PM.
Old March 25, 2007, 06:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

the nice part is that your netgears probably have a web interface which will make configuring the vlans much easier. as opposed to my catalyst switch which has to configured through hyper terminal :).

Maybe once i get my own place i will do something similar.

Old April 2, 2007, 08:15 PM
Rookie

Default my toys :o)

Letís see now. I just purchased a Linksys WRT350N Wireless-N Gigabit Router with Storage Link. And I am using a Linksys M1 modem. I also have a D-Link 604+ wireless G model router but the signal is very week.
The rest is as follows:
Thermaltake Xaser II full tower case (and a bunch of stuff inside :o)
Sesonic 650 watt power supply
Abit NF7S mobo
AMD AthlonXP 2100+ cpu (clocked up to 2.2Gb running stable for over a year now)
Thermalright XP120 heat pipe cooler w/ 120mm Panflo fan (courtesy of NCIX)
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 / 400MHz / 2GB Dual Channel / Titanium XTC Edition memory[/FONT][FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'][/FONT]
ATI Radeon X 850 XT Platinum Edition graphics card
Intellinet NIC card (25 bucks) (cause I got my motherboard from eBay and I couldnít resister the MAC address, come to find out that the MAC address had already been registered by someone else?? Very strange)
Several Maxtor HD SATA & IDE
Plextor PX-716AL DVDĪR/RW CD-R/RW
Plextor ConvertX model PX-TV100U
And a LG 1980U ultra slim LCD monitor
My desktop PC is hardwired to the Linksys WRT350N but my Dell Inspiron 6400 notebook runs wireless @ 54mb per second using an Intel on board Pro Wireless adaptor G model. I have ordered a new Linksys WPC300N Wireless-N Notebook Adapter which I am looking forward to checking out. Now if I could just figure out how to set up an ftp server out of all this I would be real happy, please help, by the way, TELUS has port 21 blocked so I have to use a ddns server, I have a host name at Dyndns.com, but Iím not sure what else to. Linksys has made provisions in the WRT350N router for setting a dynamic ftp server and I have connected one of my external hardrives to the routers USB port.
Old April 2, 2007, 08:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

any reason in particular it has to be ftp couldn't you use sftp.

sftp is much better as it's more secure and way more flexible. It also takes almost no time at all to setup. all you need is the server (copSSH) and a client (winscp) takes about 10 minutes to install and configure.

Just a thought. I also didn't think we were posting the system specs on the home lan aswell but i can if that is what people want :)

Old April 2, 2007, 10:01 PM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscout View Post
Bought all this stuff a bit at a time ... and all pretty cheap as a grew things.

in progress:
- netgear FVS124G - didn't need the 2 wan ports but it was cheap ... to replace my rt314.
- netgear FSM750S managed switch - probably could have used FSM726 but this was actually cheaper at the time i bought it
- netgear gs116 - 16 port gigabit switch
I see your a Netgear fan as well.
Old April 3, 2007, 12:22 PM
Rookie

Default sorry if gave to much info

i just joined this site and i noticed this thread, i wasn't sure how much info i was suppose to be putting down, i'm still a bit unsure as to how these sites work.
anyhow thanks for the tip using sftp, i am not familuar with that type of server, i was only going to setup a small server for now, to share stuff with my brother who lives down south (Three Hills, AB) i just want to see if i can get it to work, i've been trying to get this thing to work for two months now and i'm not having much luck at it, (i'm not doing something right).
i will look into this sftp,
thanks
Old April 3, 2007, 07:59 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by catguy View Post
i just joined this site and i noticed this thread, i wasn't sure how much info i was suppose to be putting down, i'm still a bit unsure as to how these sites work.
anyhow thanks for the tip using sftp, i am not familuar with that type of server, i was only going to setup a small server for now, to share stuff with my brother who lives down south (Three Hills, AB) i just want to see if i can get it to work, i've been trying to get this thing to work for two months now and i'm not having much luck at it, (i'm not doing something right).
i will look into this sftp,
thanks
Yea where's my files by the way
Old April 3, 2007, 08:01 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdguy View Post
any reason in particular it has to be ftp couldn't you use sftp.

sftp is much better as it's more secure and way more flexible. It also takes almost no time at all to setup. all you need is the server (copSSH) and a client (winscp) takes about 10 minutes to install and configure.

Just a thought. I also didn't think we were posting the system specs on the home lan aswell but i can if that is what people want :)
sftp? uh I guess we're behind out here in the west,will check into it,thanks.

Last edited by Jim; April 3, 2007 at 08:06 PM.