Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 6, 2013, 09:36 AM
Allstar

Thank you king . I would like to stream my videos ( HD ) from the server as well. I've committed to building my own and already have 3 WD Red 3TB 3.5" SATA3 64MB Buffer NAS drives that I plan to run in Raid 5 ( not sure but I am open to suggestions ) . I will look into Freebsd and Freenas.

If a dual core would do then that would be fantastic cost savings unless I can find a cheap quad / mb.

CHEERS
Old September 7, 2013, 12:54 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I've personally been looking at getting an IVB i3, H77 MiniITX, and an FD Node 304 for a WHS2011 box. Figure 8GB RAM, and a CX430M, maybe a Hyper212. should be somewhere in the $500 range.
Old September 9, 2013, 09:33 AM
MVP

Personally for a home server I'd save the $$$ and go with a lower end cpu such as a Sandybridge celeron (Pretty fast and not the celeron of old), or a lower end FM2 or AM3+ cpu like a dual core Athlon II. Just choose a good motherboard that has a good number of sata ports for storage needs.

Intel Celeron G1620 Dual Core Processor LGA1155 2.7GHZ Ivy Bridge 2MB Retail Box
ASUS P8H77-M/CSM mATX LGA1155 H77 DDR3 CrossFireX 2PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 1PCI SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard
----------------------------------------
AMD A4-5300 APU Dual Core Processor Socket FM2 3.4GHZ 1MB 65W Retail Box
Gigabyte F2A85XM-D3H mATX FM2 A85X DDR3 1PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 2PCI SATA3 HDMI DVI USB3.0 Motherboard

Freenas is what I would look at as it's really a slick setup. There is a small learning curve but there is very clear documentation available to get the most out of it. FreeBSD is just a UNIX Based OS and you would first have to get familliar with the basic OS then build a NAS/Server from scratch. I would go the FreeNAS route.

Btw, FreeNAS is extensible with plugins available for other server tasks other than just file serving. It also includes the amazing ZFS file system which is very worth getting to know and very easy to implement in FreeNAS, just a drop down selection when choosing the format for a drive pool.

How-To: Set up a home file server using FreeNAS
Volumes - Freenas

One thing though.....FreeNAS cannot be installed on one of the drives used in a storage pool. I have it installed onto an 8GB USB flash drive (4GB is ok I believe as a full install is barely 300-400mb). That frees up all the rest of my drives for pure storage.

If you have any questions I'll be happy to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Thank you king . I would like to stream my videos ( HD ) from the server as well. I've committed to building my own and already have 3 WD Red 3TB 3.5" SATA3 64MB Buffer NAS drives that I plan to run in Raid 5 ( not sure but I am open to suggestions ) . I will look into Freebsd and Freenas.

If a dual core would do then that would be fantastic cost savings unless I can find a cheap quad / mb.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z (1866MhZ CAS9)
NZXT Kraken X60 CPU Cooler
2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
Seagate 7200.12 500gig HD
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Antec TruPower New 750W Power Supply

Last edited by kingnubian; September 9, 2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old October 4, 2013, 07:46 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnubian View Post
Personally for a home server I'd save the $$$ and go with a lower end cpu such as a Sandybridge celeron (Pretty fast and not the celeron of old), or a lower end FM2 or AM3+ cpu like a dual core Athlon II. Just choose a good motherboard that has a good number of sata ports for storage needs.

Intel Celeron G1620 Dual Core Processor LGA1155 2.7GHZ Ivy Bridge 2MB Retail Box
ASUS P8H77-M/CSM mATX LGA1155 H77 DDR3 CrossFireX 2PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 1PCI SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard
----------------------------------------
AMD A4-5300 APU Dual Core Processor Socket FM2 3.4GHZ 1MB 65W Retail Box
Gigabyte F2A85XM-D3H mATX FM2 A85X DDR3 1PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 2PCI SATA3 HDMI DVI USB3.0 Motherboard

Freenas is what I would look at as it's really a slick setup. There is a small learning curve but there is very clear documentation available to get the most out of it. FreeBSD is just a UNIX Based OS and you would first have to get familliar with the basic OS then build a NAS/Server from scratch. I would go the FreeNAS route.

Btw, FreeNAS is extensible with plugins available for other server tasks other than just file serving. It also includes the amazing ZFS file system which is very worth getting to know and very easy to implement in FreeNAS, just a drop down selection when choosing the format for a drive pool.

How-To: Set up a home file server using FreeNAS
Volumes - Freenas

One thing though.....FreeNAS cannot be installed on one of the drives used in a storage pool. I have it installed onto an 8GB USB flash drive (4GB is ok I believe as a full install is barely 300-400mb). That frees up all the rest of my drives for pure storage.

If you have any questions I'll be happy to help.
I think I'm going to jump in now and buy the amd/gigabyte combo you are recommending.

CHEERS
Old October 4, 2013, 11:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

one other thing I am wondering is how often will this be accessed and how many at one time if it is a simple of a few people sometimes accessing a couple of files is one thing but if you are streaming a few things at once plus other people accessing it is totally different then just having a plce to store media and steam to one place and then every so often someone else accessing files.
Old October 7, 2013, 07:27 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
one other thing I am wondering is how often will this be accessed and how many at one time if it is a simple of a few people sometimes accessing a couple of files is one thing but if you are streaming a few things at once plus other people accessing it is totally different then just having a plce to store media and steam to one place and then every so often someone else accessing files.
could be streaming multiple times from up to 4 users.

CHEERS