Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Networking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/)
-   -   Teksavvy (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/61915-teksavvy.html)

Arinoth June 28, 2013 10:17 AM

Teksavvy
 
I was wondering what people would recommend for a modem to use with Teksavvy, probably will be going with their cable over the ADSL. Also, best place to buy it too as through Teksavvy it's 100$.

Lpfan4ever June 28, 2013 10:34 AM

Honestly I believe buying it straight through them is the best way. I only moved our internet over a couple months ago and I couldn't find anything cheaper that was on their supported list.

Arinoth June 28, 2013 10:35 AM

Which of the two did you go with, the 100 or 120$ one?

Getting 300 GB cap with 25Mbps speed down for 40/month+tax is a lot better than what rogers and bell are laughably offering.

geokilla June 28, 2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 717500)
I was wondering what people would recommend for a modem to use with Teksavvy, probably will be going with their cable over the ADSL. Also, best place to buy it too as through Teksavvy it's 100$.

Assuming you're a new customer, I cannot recommend TekSavvy no more. Go to Start. You can go to DSL Reports for more detail.

As for modem, you're stuck with whatever modem the IISP sends you, which is probably the DCM476. Rogers won't activate Motorola SB6121 modems anymore.

Lpfan4ever June 28, 2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 717504)
Which of the two did you go with, the 100 or 120$ one?

Getting 300 GB cap with 25Mbps speed down for 40/month+tax is a lot better than what rogers and bell are laughably offering.

Both modems I see offered are the DCM476. One is paid outright, one is spread out over a few months of payment. I just paid the $100 outright.

av3n June 28, 2013 12:52 PM

Been using the DCM475 (virtually the same as the 476) for over a year now with no problems. Like Lpfan4ever said, just buy it outright for $100.

Even though I hate to recommend Rogers, if you're not an existing customer with them you should call and ask if you can get the 45/mo Rogers Extreme deal that gives you 35/3mbps and 200gb cap. No additional fees (modem rental included) and you're not on any term or contract commitment. It's a decent alternative if you're looking to minimize the upfront cost.

JD June 29, 2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geokilla (Post 717533)
Assuming you're a new customer, I cannot recommend TekSavvy no more.

Sadly I'm starting to feel the same way. Their support has definitely taken a massive drop, usually have to sit on hold for around an hour until you get a hold of anybody.

Likewise, pretty much every single day there has been an outage for the past month.

Arinoth July 1, 2013 03:52 PM

Why viable alternatives are there then?

geokilla July 1, 2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD (Post 717821)
Sadly I'm starting to feel the same way. Their support has definitely taken a massive drop, usually have to sit on hold for around an hour until you get a hold of anybody.

Likewise, pretty much every single day there has been an outage for the past month.

Luckily I haven't had any outages, even though they say it's in my area. Are you sync rates and line stats good? Maybe you should make your issue public on DSLR. That way, Marc will see and do something about it. You can post on Direct Forums as well, but like calling tech support, you'll wait forever for it. And then you'll have the fanboys saying how Direct Forums is the bomb.

There's been a recent thread that caught my eye, and of course, the fanboys came in and turned it into pro Teksavvy.

Is TekSavvy the worse large ISP in North America? - TekSavvy | DSLReports Forums

The fanboys will say that all IISPs deal with the same problems, and that you got Direct Forums to use. Because calling for tech support is the same as waiting for half a day for Direct Forums reply :dots:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 717943)
Why viable alternatives are there then?

As I mentioned before, Start seems to be great. You can also give VMedia and CIKTel a try but CIKTel is targeted at the Chinese community so English support may be iffy, and probably similar to TekSavvy when it comes to actually getting help.

JD July 1, 2013 06:50 PM

I'm typically not impacted by the outages either, was merely mentioning it. Looks bad when you have an outage everyday.

Cable signal in my area is really low, and the phone lines are really old. Neither are "good" cabling setups. Add to the fact that we have 4 HD STB's and Rogers Home Phone only compounds the low signal issue. I ended up buying a 4-way amplifier and stuck that in which seems to have helped.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:32 AM.