Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 2, 2013, 07:11 PM
Rookie

No "dryloop" needed? I assume you mean there is no charge for the dryloop line when your paying for a higher speed?
Old July 2, 2013, 07:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It's FTTN not ADSL, which is why there is no need for a dry loop.
Old July 2, 2013, 08:42 PM
Rookie

I think you might be mistaking FTTN with FTTH. All FTTN lines are the same as non-FTTN connection with the exception of where your highspeed is actually added to your line.

Both CO (non-FTTN) and FTTN equipment can provide speeds in excess of 50Mbps when using vdsl2 and around 20Mbps when ADSL2+ (7Mbps on some ADSL cards).
Regardless of FTTN or NON-FTTN on teksavvy your line will be a dryloop (its actually a wetloop if your googling) which can make calls to 9-1-1,310-BELL,and test circuits.

There is no third party FTTH service in Ontario.
Old July 3, 2013, 04:13 PM
Top Prospect

been with Teksavvy for just about a year. no outages, no issues other than a $10/month price reduction and a speed bump. Was 12 Mbps with 300gb cap. They bumped me to 15Mbps and dropped the price to 32.95. I also got the POTS line as i needed it anyways. Total bill taxes in for phone and Internet is 62. That includes a few dollars of long distance each month. No issues other than initial set-up took a bit longer than expected.
Old July 3, 2013, 06:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It seems Start uses the 2nd pair in your telephone line and thus somehow avoids the dry-loop fee as that line never has active phone service on it. Either that or they just absorb the cost.

From what I read, they only have to charge you dry loop when you have an existing Bell-based phone service, order their Internet, and then cancel the phone line. In this scenario, Bell typically only connects the 1st pair and leaves the 2nd disconnected.
Old July 3, 2013, 06:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
It seems Start uses the 2nd pair in your telephone line and thus somehow avoids the dry-loop fee as that line never has active phone service on it. Either that or they just absorb the cost.

From what I read, they only have to charge you dry loop when you have an existing Bell-based phone service, order their Internet, and then cancel the phone line. In this scenario, Bell typically only connects the 1st pair and leaves the 2nd disconnected.
I'm pretty sure they absorb the costs. Just like how they avoid the cable installation costs if you have existing cable service.
Old July 22, 2013, 08:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

How much lead time should I expect with them. Should I place an order now for installation 2 weeks later?
Old July 23, 2013, 06:00 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Well when I moved and switched from videotron internet to teksavvy, I scheduled the cancellation of videotron for 3 weeks ahead. Then when I phoned into teksavvy I could schedule the install for that exact day, so there was no downtime.
I keep an eye on the teksavvy thread on dslreports, lots of updates if there are problems or new things coming down the pipe.
I still prefer teksavvy, I think they played a major role in bringing competition to the incumbants, thereby forcing rogers/bell to offer more competitive internet rates. Thats why I want to consider supporting them, even if rogers may now have some more attractive packages.
Old July 23, 2013, 10:16 AM
Allstar

Dry Loop is only necessary if you have a phone line and a dsl line and want a second dsl line (as the second pair is being used), or you don't have a phone line and just want dsl. I've been with Teksavvy for about 5 years now (dsl) and will be switching over to their cable as the speeds and price are great. Not only that but their 300gb cap only applies to downloads and only from 8am to 2am (uploading doesn't count towards the cap at all). The rest of the time it's free data :) Actually at this point they aren't even monitoring it so it's currently unlimited.

I agree that their tech support is pretty much crap now but they are always really nice and I'd still rather deal with them than Bell or Rogers so it's a no brainer for me.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old July 23, 2013, 12:21 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodscene View Post
Dry Loop is only necessary [...]

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
I'm pretty sure they absorb the costs. [...]
In order to run any fttn/dsl teksavvy product you will either have a phone line or a dryloop.