Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 30, 2013, 06:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i tried out xen server 6.2 on my home lab. It works ok. But i ended up going back to vmware for a couple of reasons.

1. Vmware networking is much better than xen servers
2. I found the performance better on ESXi than on XEN.

Having said that there are features in XEN that i wish were supported on ESXi.

Mostly it's this: CIFS/SMB Folder Access.

Additionally if you want to play with a nested host environment it is a lot easier to nest ESXi with ESXi than with XEN.

Old October 1, 2013, 12:39 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

you say you found performance was better on ESXi?

I've seen some say they found performance better on xen, so I'm curious now, what hardware are you running? what type of guest OS'? what type of storage configuration for your vm store?

what type of networking issues did you have? one thing that has me attracted to xenserver is the internal network options for your virtual machines, vmware has similar functionality, but you have to pay for it. this is actually one of the things that has me attracted to xenserver, as I'd like to add a subnet essentially for virtual servers to communication with each other so i'm not reducing bandwidth to other clients on my network. the internal networking options I think would simplify this for me, but if it's troublesome then I may have to rethink

I plan on moving the vm's off my sun server onto my other esx host this weekend so I can try xenserver myself, problem with the sun server is there's no IOMMU option because I don't have a sun support contract to be able to access the required bios update, so I have no means of testing the pci passthrough functionality, which is one of the big things for me