Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Networking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/)
-   -   network discover file sharening isn't working (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/61587-network-discover-file-sharening-isnt-working.html)

Shadowmeph June 8, 2013 09:17 AM

network discover file sharening isn't working

I was getting tired of always having to drag and drop files onto a usb drive to share files with my other pc with the same OS" Win 8" on it so I checked "Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings" the settings in there and noticed that the network discoveries was un-checked so I " checked them saved which closed that window without any errors , then tried again , clicked on network and have that little thing pop up saying that the network file sharing is turned off and to click on it to open it up and turn it on sharing I did this again this time I rebooted in hopes of it saving the settings but still no joy

For some reason it won't stay on I checked the file sharing for both private and public and they won't stay checked

Caldezar June 8, 2013 09:34 AM

There's a possibility that a third party firewall or AV program is blocking the setting. Try disabling/removing your AV and/or firewall to test. I've also come across similar issues in Windows 7 that have been related to reg entries. Repair installs have always fixed this, although I'm not sure if this is relevant with Windows 8.

Shadowmeph June 8, 2013 09:42 AM

Thank you for reply
Other then what comes with Windows I don't have any other security software installed , I even turned off the windows firewall just to see if it would make any difference.

KaptCrunch June 8, 2013 10:03 AM

other is shared or mapped Drive settings

Shadowmeph June 8, 2013 01:29 PM

Networking always confuses me. since I cannot seen to get this to work I decided on trying VPN which I am new at . so I create a VPN then when I try to connect it asks for credentials that I never created in the first place. all I want to do is be able to connect to my other PC so I can share files between them

ShinraCorp June 9, 2013 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowmeph (Post 713903)
Networking always confuses me. since I cannot seen to get this to work I decided on trying VPN which I am new at . so I create a VPN then when I try to connect it asks for credentials that I never created in the first place. all I want to do is be able to connect to my other PC so I can share files between them

Well there's always Teamviewer you can use :P

Shadowmeph June 9, 2013 10:03 AM

I actually want to be able to move files to my media player which for some reason I cannot do anymore :(

Shadowmeph June 9, 2013 12:31 PM

I fixed it and the funny thing is I have already forgoten how I fixed it I guess there is just to many things going on lol

MARSTG August 26, 2013 07:06 AM

Join all PCs on the same workgroup. This is how I do it on mine, but I have 2 PCs with Win7. Win 8 was working too but difficult, it would often say the other pc is not responding, which drove me nuts and that is why I gave up mainly on Windows 8.

Shadowmeph August 26, 2013 12:20 PM

ya it was simple in windows 7 I did have some problems going from windows 7 anad xp between files but it was possible but going from windows 8 even to other windows 8 was very hard