Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 24, 2013, 01:43 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

i've had antenna cables go as far as 50~75 feet. Pricy buggers tho. The Antenna depends on your coverage type... how big is your coverage area and what walls or obstacles will the signal need to go through/around?

Home Depot's use a yagi antenna to shoot signal down the isles. Some places have di-pole antennas mounted to the ceiling to fill a shop/warehouse space. For yards i've mostly seen patch antennas mounted to the outside walls of industrial buildings to send wifi outside, or to a satellite office in the yard outside. Whenever using an antenna, you always want to use your best effort to try and get the access point as close as you can to where the antenna will be mounted. Signal strength always goes down when using an antenna extension cable.
Old May 24, 2013, 01:54 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
i've had antenna cables go as far as 50~75 feet. Pricy buggers tho. The Antenna depends on your coverage type... how big is your coverage area and what walls or obstacles will the signal need to go through/around?

Home Depot's use a yagi antenna to shoot signal down the isles. Some places have di-pole antennas mounted to the ceiling to fill a shop/warehouse space. For yards i've mostly seen patch antennas mounted to the outside walls of industrial buildings to send wifi outside, or to a satellite office in the yard outside. Whenever using an antenna, you always want to use your best effort to try and get the access point as close as you can to where the antenna will be mounted. Signal strength always goes down when using an antenna extension cable.
Yeah high grade LMR cable is cheap right ;-) I just think in this guys case, units + external antenna to gain a little extra coverage wont gain him as much as buying 1-2 extra units and creating a better blanket coverage. Both what I suggested and what you suggested is basically $200-250 units. even if he bought 4 of these he is the price of one unit he was contemplating. But shy of getting his blueprints with materials and outdoor coverage we are pretty much on the same page.
Old May 24, 2013, 08:48 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

well... not to split hairs but...

If there are no wireless controllers balancing signal strength (and all the other things they do); less AP's are better than more AP's... especially if the clients are roaming. Wireless clients easily get confused if there is too much variety to connect to... I learned this when I over-engineered a wireless network with almost 20 AP's and even then the clients had trouble connecting... (it was a massive building). Today it's been re-mapped with a different wifi protocol, it actually has triple the AP's but wifi controllers make sure each and every zone only has one AP for the wireless clients to connect to at a time (with just enough overlap for efficient hand-off from one AP to the next).