Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 22, 2013, 08:26 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Windows Server 2012 and Email

Hello Peoples,

Here is what i would like to do. I Have 4 emails, 2 eastlink and 2 gmail. What i would like to do is have all 4 go download from there servers to my windows server. Than beable to have clients on say my macbook or imac or gaming PC and see my email from my server on those clients.

Is this possible?
Thanks
Tech
Old May 22, 2013, 05:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Why do you need Server 2012 in this?

You should be able to setup all your email to forward to your "primary" email account.
Old May 22, 2013, 06:24 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Why do you need Server 2012 in this?

You should be able to setup all your email to forward to your "primary" email account.
Pretty much this, I haven't touched G-mail but usually Thunderbird can do automatic forwarding depending on what you entered in the filter settings.
Old May 22, 2013, 07:05 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I think you are talking about an exchange environment? based on what you are saying. If this is a single user case scenario outside doing it for kicks don't bother. Just forward emails as stated above, if you are doing it for kicks and want to know how to do it then yes you can do this. You need exchange and the pop collector.

Understanding the Microsoft Connector for POP3 Mailboxes
Old May 23, 2013, 05:06 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I understand what you are saying. I guess what i was thinking was that i could check my email on any one of my computers. I was worried about sync issue. So lets say i setup thunderbird on my macbook, it downloads the messages thats fine. Tomorrow i go and check my email on my imac with apple mail. If i have thunderbird not to delete the messages off the gmail server than i am fine but if i do i won't see all my messages. What i was thinking is if i had all my message download to my already setup windows server 2012 and then beable to check them on each of my computers from that it would be easier to manage. If it a bit problem its ok i can deal with it.

Thanks for the help
Tech
Old May 23, 2013, 05:17 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Use gmail to collect your mail and use IMAP to sync to your clients.
Old May 23, 2013, 08:37 AM
F@H

My System Specs

In Gmail, if you go to Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP, you can set it to forward all emails to a specific address.

Not sure what platform Eastlink uses for their email, but if you sign into their webmail, you may find a similar setting as well.
Old May 23, 2013, 09:01 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

OMG.. you sir are my hero. Eastlink has something like this as well.

I have done this yet. Just have a couple of more quick questions.

When i look at the email will it tell me somewhere what email account it came from?
Let say i have the account that all my emails are forwarded to on different computer. Let say i check it on one computer and it deletes the email off the server. If i go and check my email on another computer will i still get that email?
Old May 23, 2013, 09:29 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech686239 View Post
When i look at the email will it tell me somewhere what email account it came from?
Yes, by looking at the TO: address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech686239 View Post
Let say i have the account that all my emails are forwarded to on different computer. Let say i check it on one computer and it deletes the email off the server. If i go and check my email on another computer will i still get that email?
using IMAP all the client computers will sync with the email server... if you delete a message that message will show as deleted for all clients. If you read a new message that message will show as read for all the clients.

Last edited by grinder; May 23, 2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old May 23, 2013, 10:27 AM
F@H

My System Specs

And another tidbit, if you use Gmail as your primary, on the Accounts tab in the Settings, you can also send email to appear as though it's coming from whatever other addresses you have. Then you just pick which one to send it as while you are composing/replying to an email.

Also, alternative to forwarding (though it seems Eastlink supports it) would of been to setup POP3 in the Accounts tab. I suppose you could still use that too if you don't want any email copies left on Eastlink and want everything in Gmail.

It sounds like you are using "fat clients" though, so not sure how beneficial any of this is to you really. You should just be able to setup all 4 accounts in your client. Only benefit to what you are doing now is if you plan to access all your email via web-mail only.